A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Adding Bitmap texturing..

Adding Bitmap texturing..

Are there any tutorials anywhere that can advise me on how to add a texture.. say a clock face to a flat surface?.. whatever i try and do i either get the bitmap looking too big for the object or curving round it and not straight..

plz help..

FK's Official Hobo
    yeah id really like to know how aswell thanx

buy plasma if you want to be able to put on materials better, it can do what you want and a whole lot more
    Chaos= Religion+Humanity

daniel, I've been playing around... what exactly are you wanting to do?

sorry, I've been gone for a while... but with RushVision, Pope, and NitroCharged around, you're in great hands...

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Just wandering how to put bitmap textures on objects perfectly so that they dont appear too big or at a slanted angle..

Still saving up for Plasma.....

thnx..

Swift3D's bitmap texturing abilities are still somewhat in their infancy, I'm afraid. If you can give us some more information about what you are trying to do, we'll have a much better chance of helping you.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

" Lets Rock ! ....... " NitroCharged's Avatar
    By using a bitmap image like this:

..and creating a new material for it, then applying it to the right sized round extrusion will give this:

enjoy!

wo this is nice!!

hi...

I tried to do that..but not luck do i miss something?

can u pls see the screenshot -> http://www.photosnaps.net/snaps/zmsn...56C53004A6145/$file/ss.jpg

Cheers

sorry, that link is 404

There's a couple of things you have to do to make this work:
    1. Set the material as a "planar solid"
    2. Toggle between the size of the extrusion and the position of it in the 'extrusion editor' so it finally fits the image - you have to go back and forth between the 'extrusion editor' and the 'preview editor' and keep adjusting till it fits.
    e.g. If the image is placed on the face of the extrusion but is off-centre up and to the right - drag the 'arrow marque' in the 'extrusion editor' over the entire extrusion and then grab the red dotted point of the extrusion that lights up and move the entire thing in the same direction. Think of it as a mask or looking thru a toilet roll. You have to place it over the right spot to see the image. If the image is too large for it - you have to make the extrusion bigger, not the object! Move the points in the extrusion editor out more - once it is the right size and the image fits sweet - you THEN scale the image to the correct size you require in the work area. This will not work on a cylinder, it has to be an extrusion - the image gets wrapped differently on a cylinder object -hence why I keep saying 'extrusion'

wo

Opppss..wrong URL..pls see it

I tired it again..not luck. ( I know there is something wrong I made )

Can u pls show me ur source code ? Cheers

Last edited by mzhang; 10-15-2002 at 09:06 PM.

ahh, there's one thing different with yours - you have selected a different texture in the bottom of the 'edit material' window - change it to procedural solid from 'procedural checker':
    Last edited by NitroCharged; 10-15-2002 at 10:52 PM.

w

Thanks... I changed it and clicked the render window button on the top memu bar. but...tt looks poor.

Cheers

Probably because of the image quality.
    Use this one here , but you will have to re-align the extrusion again as this is a larger file.

BTW do u have a snap of that render to see?

ok....

don't know why..tried the bmp file u posted. looks *same*

cheers

pls check the code here...

code

pls check the screenshot here

Hey Nitro and mzhang ~

I hate to rain on your parade, but could you please remove those large images and replace them with an external link? Placing images this large directly into the thread really bogs down the page. I know it's always better to have your reference image right next to your post, but the contents of this thread is greater than 200k.

ss.jpg...........109k

ss_1.jpg.........99k

snap_clock.jpg...59k - this one is on edge of what is considered "polite" to place directly in your post. If this were the only image or there were several other much smaller ones, then everything would be smooth as silk.

One thing you can do to reduce the file size of your screenshots is to only include what is necessary. mzhang, notice how Nitro cropped out his taskbar on the bottom and reduced the size of his image a bit? That took the file size down by almost half.

Thanks guys, following these guidelines will ensure a quick-loading page as opposed to one that takes several minutes to load as this one does.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

w

sure! i understand it... will remove them later...

thanks

You have to leave the extrusion alone in the work area while you align it in the extrusion editor. Then start twisting and turning and scaling it in the work area, once the size and alignment of the extrusion is correct.
    Also the instructions were to move the extrusion around and increase its size to fit the image. Neither of these had been done in the .t3d file you supplied
    Actually, now that I think of it - it seems you were moving and scaling the object in the work area ... tsk tsk ...and after making me repeat the word extrusion in my previous post 4 billion times! lol

Here is your file with the extrusion set at the correct size and in the right spot
    download here

Rush~ I considered my image appropriately sized and optimised, hence why I posted it. 59k being well within the 'over 100k!!?? -now you're just being rude!' event horizon. However, I can't predict if others will continue to post oversized files into the thread
    Last edited by NitroCharged; 10-16-2002 at 02:01 AM.

w

sorry...the code can't be download!

Cheers

doh!
    finger trouble my end ( typo in url ) try the link above again - is now working

Thanks for all your replies :P