A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Why I Hate DNS Changes...... by vampstko

Why I Hate DNS Changes...... by vampstko

For many of you like myself running a small business can be frustrating at times. Besides the normal finding new clients and keeping track of employees... comes in the dreaded DNS CHANGES!!!!! i resale hosting space.. to expensive to run my own server now.. so anyway back in the day i reg a domain at www.hostsave.com not bad service mind you.. but then one day i needed database connection.. ok they don't do it so i gotta change hosts no biggie..RIGHT...wrong.. by reg my domain thru a discount host (hostsave) i have been thrown into a pit of endless phone calls and mindless emails ....

see the discount places reg your domain but when it comes to dns changes nobody knows where.. how to access it, or anything..

even network solutions told me it was my own damn fault for reg the domain thru a discount place... so its been 2 weeks of trying to move 1 domain.. so the lesson for today kids...

pay the extra money...

I have stopped using hostave all together, they never respond to technical issues. I use www.needa.com for registering and control of my domains. Very easy to use control panel. Talk to Oscar !!

The Minister of No Crap

Well, I have been trying to get the email and DNS changed on a domain name that was registered through Network solutions for about five months now. Endless emails, phone calls, and faxes have left me and my client with no change in the email or DNS.

I prefer domain name registers that have a control panel that'll let you change everything right there even though they aren't always fool proof.

I feel your pain.

-scott

But NetSol hs been great to me .. i have had 4 domains there ... they do have a Control Panel ...i even had a doamin with a Email that was from my local ISP which had become defunct , and they even allowed me to change that to a new one , after I faxed them my Passport ( prroof of Identity) and Letter of Authorization .

must be just a stroke of bad luck for you guys .

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Been a long time since I had to deal with simple employees at backwards companies like the ones described. In Brazil, Registro.br controls the whole caboodle, you just choose where your hosting will be and they complete the rest.

They are the only player in town (actually, in the country), which has its +'s and -'s, one minus being you're never gonna get one of the super-cheap URLs I've seen advertised in the US, but then again, you're not going to encounter the same problem as vampstko. If you decide to move your hosting, it takes about 3 days to get everything completed, and that's that. We've moved 4 times in the 3 years - if anyone from Brazil is reading this, try KDD (.com.br) - they're on the ball.

Sorry I can't suggest anything concrete to go on, vamps, but I thought it'd be interesting for people to know that there is an alternative setup someplace else.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Been there, done that, not doing it again!

Network Solutions, while being one of the biggest names, is one of the worst companies to deal with. They are constantly changing procedure and are difficult to deal with. The company I work for has at least 3 dozen domains registered by them and god help us if we ever have to transfer registrar info or DNS info. There is one domain we've been attempting to change for 2 months and it still hasn't. We've even spoke with support on the phone and they said ok we'll make the change and it shows for a day then their servers refresh back to the old settings. I'd suggest staying away from them.

The Minister of No Crap

Originally posted by [-S|NiStEr_MiNd-]
    Network Solutions, while being one of the biggest names, is one of the worst companies to deal with. They are constantly changing procedure and are difficult to deal with. The company I work for has at least 3 dozen domains registered by them and god help us if we ever have to transfer registrar info or DNS info. There is one domain we've been attempting to change for 2 months and it still hasn't. We've even spoke with support on the phone and they said ok we'll make the change and it shows for a day then their servers refresh back to the old settings. I'd suggest staying away from them.
    While this is disturbing to hear, I am glad I'm not the only one who has problems with them.

-scott

OT: Cool article on generating traffic Scott. I've always liked your site but had no idea it was generating so many hits, keep it up.

The Minister of No Crap

Originally posted by Sysdomatic
    OT: Cool article on generating traffic Scott. I've always liked your site but had no idea it was generating so many hits, keep it up.
    Kind of off topic, but thanks. Wanna post those kind words on the site?

-scott

old grey man he ain't what he used to be..

had probs with network solutions too.....for 6 months actually. they couldn't get a simple forwarding url thing right. heard every excuse in the book from them swear to goodness. at least they didn't charge us for the time they spent getting it wrong. i guess no matter who you go with, cheap or tres cher, you have the chance of getting the shaft....unless you're from brazil. i've always thought brazil would be a nice place to live....and i like their 'social security' system down there too. hurricaneone, your country rocks.

Ever since my first domain, which I got with NetSol and experience tons of problems myself (and what's up with that stupid DNS transfer form they make you fill out -- it makes the IRS forms look simple), I've been using Dotster and loving them. I've got eight or nine domains with them now, and everything is extremely simple. They have a control panel on their site you can log into to manage all of your domains yourself, and DNS changes are as easy as filling out a form.
    For War's a banker, flesh his gold. There by the furnace of Troy's field, Where thrust meets thrust, he sits to hold His scale, and watch the spear-point sway; And back to waiting homes he sends Slag from the ore, a little dust To drain hot tears from hearts of friends

- Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Network Solutions is worst than the government. Every time I transfer a domain, it is a nightmare.

I recently received e-mails, then follow-up letters from NSI giving me usernames and passwords to administrate all of my domains. (Mind you, all of the other domain registrant companies have had Control Panels for a year or more.)

But... I did not receive a follow-up letter for one domain (follow-up letter contains the password). So I call their customer service line. But it rings once then goes dead...

I sense another nightmare coming.