dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: anyone know anything about online marketing?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    186

    anyone know anything about online marketing?

    hey there,
    ive just got a job to do a website, but this morning i find out the job also requires i come up with a overview for an online marketing stratergy to promote the companies website...i dont know veyr much about online marketing i was wondering if anyone could stear me in the right direction - website links, books or even some basic principles?

    Thanks anyone - i appreciate any help

    scsa
    my way or the high way

  2. #2
    An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    You know where
    Posts
    1,918
    Just as a basic 'top-of-the-head' thing, I'd say that you'd need to show how the site was to integrate with the marketing mix which the company already has in place (literature, promos, placement, parallel content) and secondly, show how you were going to generate some traffic, etc (or even better, for them, generate some cash).
    (But ya knew that already, scsa?!)

    As for making a formal presentation of a marketing plan for a site (or for any other business venture, they can't be that different, can they?), I'd be interested to see any pro guidelines/suggestions as well.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

  3. #3
    Banned vampstko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    946
    you can tell you employer that you know of a company the resales online promotion packages and that he can make some money by contacting charlie@******************.com

    www.letsgethitz.com has the packages overview and we handle everything from banner placement and creation , pay per click management, and general search engine submission

  4. #4
    Moderator RazoRmedia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,016
    Originally posted by vampstko
    you can tell you employer that you know of a company the resales online promotion packages and that he can make some money by contacting charlie@******************.com

    www.letsgethitz.com has the packages overview and we handle everything from banner placement and creation , pay per click management, and general search engine submission
    go get that work vamps!

    ever thought of viral marketing?

  5. #5
    tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    1,093
    huricanneones idea of being part of a mix is great.

    Why?, well it gives you the opportunity to pitch for more work from this client.

    How?, by showing the need for a complete marketing plan, from cataloges through to the web. Oh you do not have a cataloge, we should talk about that.....

    a pro marketing plan must include :


    search engine placement ( paid in my opinion)
    banner placement in relative portals ect..
    paper inclusion (include the url on visiting cards ect, you would be surprised at the number of people that do not do this)
    promo cds to push trafic to the web site
    and best of all this all needs a load of statistical data to quantify number of visitors, from were, most visited pages ect ..

    hehehhe, i love these things they should be able to bring in a load of money for you as well as a juicey maintanence contract. marketing plans are not static. they evolve.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    186
    Thanks guys, i have found some good sites and im learning.

    the hard bit now is that i have to come up with the correct recommendations, i can list various options for online marketing and the relative costs of each but how do i know what to recommend, for example i know it will cost say $15,000+ to have a special link on google, but how do i know if its worth it? how do i know that money will be worth investing in a special google link?

    i need to be able to identify what options will give the best returns.
    my way or the high way

  7. #7
    Banned vampstko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    946
    Originally posted by RazoRmedia
    go get that work vamps!

    ever thought of viral marketing?
    excellent article razor..

  8. #8
    Moderator RazoRmedia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,016
    Originally posted by vampstko
    excellent article razor..
    cheers matey, hows the world of search engines treating you ?

  9. #9
    Banned vampstko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    946
    Originally posted by RazoRmedia
    cheers matey, hows the world of search engines treating you ?
    online promotion is treating me great ..******************.com is slowly climbing the engines, clients are getting great traffic, tring to do sales and promotion is making it tuff to stay on top the alogorythms but work is great ..how are things are your end of the world mate

  10. #10
    ism BlinkOk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    , location, location
    Posts
    5,002
    i have no experience with this however somehow (???) i ended up subscribed to www.webpronews.com they seem to have a lot of articles related to issues such as yours. (make sure you look at the archive)
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

  11. #11
    Moderator RazoRmedia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,016
    not bad, working in Liverpool now for a large UK gambling/gaming company. Its lots of work but its fun and when you see the money pour in, its worth it.

    As its a high profit and a quick turnover, theres lots of spare cash so we get hi spec machines, lots of expenses, the latest software etc.

    I tell you what mate, whoever said you can't make money from the web obviously wasn't a gambler!

  12. #12
    Banned vampstko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    946
    Originally posted by RazoRmedia

    I tell you what mate, whoever said you can't make money from the web obviously wasn't a gambler!

    sounds like you've gotten into a solid comany glad to hear it..

    and yes gambling is the one other way to make money online..

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    102
    Originally posted by stone.cold.steve.austin
    Thanks guys, i have found some good sites and im learning.

    the hard bit now is that i have to come up with the correct recommendations, i can list various options for online marketing and the relative costs of each but how do i know what to recommend, for example i know it will cost say $15,000+ to have a special link on google, but how do i know if its worth it? how do i know that money will be worth investing in a special google link?

    i need to be able to identify what options will give the best returns.
    well, that's for you to contemplate over, none of us here knows the minute details required for such decision.

    What's your client's expectation?

    What's the target audience? What's the budget? A simple marketing tool? is 'sales' on mind [never mind the profit], B2B? How will it tie in to offline strategies.

    I'm cluess, dont listen to me. hm.. doughnut...

  14. #14
    Lengthy Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    92

    Hey! I missed this thread earlier

    [[removed by poster]]
    Last edited by Enterfaze; 08-29-2006 at 11:30 PM. Reason: [[removed by poster]]

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    186
    hey Enterfaze,

    thanks alot for your help, you bring up alot of good points. I have leant alot in the last week, its funny because everytime i think can handle this, i ask someone new and they tell me a whole bunch of extra stuff i have to consider. i can handle the technical aspect and methods for the online marketing (increasing search engine ranking - titles/meta tags etc, monitoring in creased traffic etc), its the market research side that has me a little concerned, im not sure i can acturately identify what methods of online promotion will be best for my client -it will involve me having to find out who there competitors are, where there target audience can be reached etc, and then using that info to determine the best methods to use - all data im not sure i can acurately gather.

    this would be a good very opportunity for me, as it would give me good practical experience with marketing and expand my skill base.
    Im just deciding at this stage whether i will take a gamble and submit an overview to my client and say this is what i can do, this is what we will do - make it sound like i know exactly what im doing, i can then learn as i go along and take a gamble on the right methods to use and right places to advertise etc. if i succeeded it would be great. however if i stuff up - i could cost this company alot of money through a wasted marketing plan and advertsing cost.

    decisions decisions!

    scsa
    my way or the high way

  16. #16
    Moderator RazoRmedia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,016
    nice post EnterFaze

    Of course, the web gives you the technology to be able to track sales as accurately as you need to. Most major sites will use some kind of affiliate system to enable them to see where their traffic is coming from.

    It started with porn sites and gambling sites but most major e-commerce sites will use affiliate tracking of some type, its relatively simple but very very effective.

    For example, a site belonging to us is littlewoods casino
    It is basically a downloadable casino that you can play for free or for real money. Affiliates are signed up by the casino and then on your website, you would put a banner or a link to littlewoods casino with your account number on, for example :

    I would open a casino account and be given an account number. Then I would download a banner and make this banner link to the casino with my account number tapped on the end, eg:

    www.littlewoodscasino.com?1234053

    But why would I bother, why would I advertise someones elses website? Because they will pay me to. Different affiliate schemes pay different fees, some more modest than others. Normally, you can expect to receive 10-20% of all revenue from your link.

    Ie: A user visits my website and clicks on the banner to the casino. They then think 'why not?', download the casino and start playing. They gamble in real money, some they win, some they lose. Whatever that customer loses, I will receive 20% of, whatever that customer wins, I lose 20% of. Say, for example, that customer was to gamble 100 in the first month, I would make 20 and vice versa if they lose.

    It may not seem like much but affiliate schemes can be very very succesful, look at Amazons 'Associates' scheme, they'll give you 15% of every purchase if bought through your link. Amazons is one of the most popular because you can target specific markets. Computer books on a computer site, maths, english books on a homework site etc.

    The other advantage of affiliate schemes is that you can see where your traffic is coming from. Even if just two of you with your own websites swap banners. With affiliate tracking, you should be able to see exactly what traffic has come from that link (in your stats).

    This is slightly off point but I hoped it helped.

  17. #17
    Lengthy Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    92
    Originally posted by RazoRmedia
    Of course, the web gives you the technology to be able to track sales as accurately as you need to.
    Very true, but remember, this still only tracks sales over the website, whereas you need a system to track total sales generated by the website and online advertising.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    102
    Originally posted by stone.cold.steve.austin
    hey Enterfaze,

    thanks alot for your help, you bring up alot of good points. I have leant alot in the last week, its funny because everytime i think can handle this, i ask someone new and they tell me a whole bunch of extra stuff i have to consider. i can handle the technical aspect and methods for the online marketing (increasing search engine ranking - titles/meta tags etc, monitoring in creased traffic etc), its the market research side that has me a little concerned, im not sure i can acturately identify what methods of online promotion will be best for my client -it will involve me having to find out who there competitors are, where there target audience can be reached etc, and then using that info to determine the best methods to use - all data im not sure i can acurately gather.

    this would be a good very opportunity for me, as it would give me good practical experience with marketing and expand my skill base.
    Im just deciding at this stage whether i will take a gamble and submit an overview to my client and say this is what i can do, this is what we will do - make it sound like i know exactly what im doing, i can then learn as i go along and take a gamble on the right methods to use and right places to advertise etc. if i succeeded it would be great. however if i stuff up - i could cost this company alot of money through a wasted marketing plan and advertsing cost.

    decisions decisions!

    scsa
    diversify the effort, source it out.

    if that's not in your budget, you can always pick up books and cram it all in.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width

HTML5 Development Center