A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resolution Dispute

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    www.thecounter.com/stats

Sorry you lose. 800x600 is still the most comon resolution.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Well yes, I know its the most common, but which one ends up looking better. Due to more playing room, and effects.

Originally posted by cnlnet
    Well yes, I know its the most common, but which one ends up looking better. Due to more playing room, and effects.
    Well if it's more playing room then you may as well go for 1600x1200. Your gonna twist this around until you're proved right?

I would design a personnal site for 1028x768 because that is what people should have as a mininum but in general I design for 800x600.

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    In my opinion, good design isn't resolution dependant. So, if you design something that looks good at 800x600, it will also look good and higher resolutions.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

CVO you said it. that is what people should have as a mininum but in general. Why should that be what people should have as minimum?

people have that as a minimum because 17" monitors have only recently started being shipped as standard with PC's.

It's only geeks like us that tend to have 17" and above and buy new hardware and the latest grahics cards every year.

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    Originally posted by swampy
    people have that as a minimum because 17" monitors have only recently started being shipped as standard with PC's.
    Eh... where do you come from ?

Señor member
    Originally posted by GMF
    Eh... where do you come from ?
    It's true GMF, the PC specs in the UK from high street shops now finally include a decent monitor as standard and more often on a reasonably priced machine a 17" monitor.

As for the original posters question, I'd still design for 800x600 no matter what people say. It's the most common resolution by far although in due course will hopefully be overtaken by 1024x768.
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

obviously some backwater country, come up with a more feasable theory.

http://www.netmechanic.com/news/vol4...ility_no24.htm

Monitor size and optimal screen resolution are closely linked. As you increase the resolution, the screen elements appear smaller. In fact, the information contained on a 15-inch screen set to 1024x768 may be so small as to be virtually unreadable. But the same information displayed at that resolution on a 17 or 21-inch monitor would look fine.
    most (if not all) large companies deprecate their assest over a number of years, they buy equipment in bulk and sell when it has deprecated.

Most large offices (using examples of one that I have worked in - BT Cellnet and Next PLC) have near obsolete computer hardware due to the rate of technological advance versus the rate at which it is economically viable to upgrade their equipment.

It is also more economically viable for companies to by 15" (or even 14" monitors) in bulk than to provide their staff with 50 inch plasma screens (or even 17" monitors), besides there is little need for an operator who is merely viewing customer accounts in a call centre to have a huge monitor.

The screen resolution of these is set to 800X600 for the reason quoted above.

The vast majority of people are not massively computer literate, hard to beleive when your peers are programmers but easy enough to beleive if you have ever worked on an IT help desk of a large company.

People simply don't know how to increase the screen resolution if they have a larger monitor at home.

purely a theory, but a feasable one all the same
    Last edited by swampy; 10-15-2002 at 01:39 PM.

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    jamble, thats the uk . 17" have been here (norway) for over 2 (maybe 3) years as a standard spec. I agree with the resolution question

swamp, good article

hmmmmm.... But ya see thats what I mean. Why would you hope that its taken over by 1024? Cause its the right thing to do! It looks better works better so on.

Originally posted by GMF
    jamble, thats the uk . 17" have been here (norway) for over 2 (maybe 3) years as a standard spec. I agree with the resolution question

swamp, good article

Norway is a bad example though as it has the highest standard of living in Europe, people have more disposable income and can afford more expensive "luxury" goods.

I used to live in Oslo for a couple of years and was amazed by the number of "normal" middle class people who have yaghts.

Not to change the subject, but so you mean to tell me that the U.S. isnt the most comfortable nation after all I know is a thing out there about that.

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    swamp, i only said norway cause jamble said uk , just to let him know that not all have the same spec. Think global

P.S norway is also the most expensive contry on the planet. But who complains here

Señor member
    Originally posted by GMF
    swamp, i only said norway cause jamble said uk , just to let him know that not all have the same spec. Think global

P.S norway is also the most expensive contry on the planet. But who complains here
    I said UK because you asked where swampy was from

I think with regards to the resolution issue, I personally check through my webstats a few times each month for drunkfoundation and know that as with most sites, 800x600 is still actually my most common res size from the people that click through to my site and most people do the same.

I guess it's similar to some people starting to design for broadband connections and ignoring that dialups are still far more common.

I'd be interested to know though, what's the average in Norway GMF? I know Scandinavia is vastly more expensive than the rest of the world but I'd assume people do earn a lot more too?
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

Africa still crushes roots on rocks. If we averaged it out global...then we would be averaging to about ....13 inch monitors with 480 resolution and BIG LARGE FLOPPY DISK

Originally posted by GMF

but it is also the most beautiful

HOSTILE

Originally posted by cnlnet
    Africa still crushes roots on rocks. If we averaged it out global...then we would be averaging to about ....13 inch monitors with 480 resolution and BIG LARGE FLOPPY DISK
    the rest of the world still crushes roots on rocks, the difference is idiots in the rest of the world pay stupid prices for those roots in health shops.