A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Why should frame rate be 12 FPS and not 50 or higher?

Hello,

My movie seems so much more smoother when the FPS is a big number like 50 when I do Control, Test Movie. Why is 12 FPS recommended and why shouldn't I use a higher number?

Thanks so much you great people at Flashkit!

Risa

Retired *********
    I think that I will let grandmaster answer this one

your animation will be much smoother at 50fps on some computers, the recommendation is only if you are concerned about reaching a broader audience. not everyone is running 1GHz machines with monster video cards. and not everyone will have a broadband connection. the recommendation is just that... a recommendation. you can put the speed at whatever suits your needs, but just be aware of your audience. your animation will be really slow at 50fps on a Pentium 200MHz. and ,of course, your filesize will be much larger for the same length animation at 12fps. from what i have read, the recommendation is a little on the lite side, most of the posts i have read concerning the subject, say that a frame rate of 24fps is a better speed for reaching the most number of viewers, while maintaining a smooth animation.

hope this helps.

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    Ok Dowenger
    Dont know why they recomend 12 , but maybe this is for old pc with slow cpu´s (realy dont know for sure)

I use framerate 24 , this is the best rate for animation I think , 12 is VERY slow with tweens with pics , streamed sound and , yeah you name it

I heard Guy Watson wrote that framerate 70 was great to use with actionscripting .
    Try out a higher rate and feel the different from 12 - 24 .

Retired *********
    grandmaster, I knew that there was a reason....thanks

Thanks, guys!!!

Risa