A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: to doiv

to doiv

hey there,i saw your name listed in the whos online,so i wanted to ask you something:
    i once saw a 3d thingy on your spaceports ftp (don´t remember the exact url anymore)
    what´s up with that? are you still working on that?
    i think it was quite an interesting approach

hi, im not sure which 3d thing you mean, but i doubt ill finish it as i dont really do much flash these days, i lack motivation too much and end up not saving things, ive never complated a game before, but id like to see what im capable of, so maybe one day....

maybe you mean this: http://cgi-bin.spaceports.com/~phpwar/normaltests/3dthing.html
    or this: http://cgi-bin.spaceports.com/~phpwar/normaltests/doom.html

i have other 3d things but not on spaceports.
    Tomorrow's today, and today is yesterday.

so what are you working on then? (if it´s not too curious to ask )
    i meant the first link,but the second one is also nice.
    you probably know one of the tilemap bases games many fk members work on these days. i thought your attempt could be combined with an engine like that to create a rotatable semi 3d tilemap engine.
    what do you think about that?

my method you see there is very unefficient, so itll probably run very slow, its basically a mixture of tweens and maths

hm,sad,the best thuing about tilemapped engines is that you can render only those tiles in the current game area,so i thought this could be combined with your experiment.(so the array has the info which semi 3d objects belong on which tile and you only render those on the current screen).wouldlove to see that.
    by the way: what´s http://comeandplay.t35.com/worm3d.swf all about?
    i tried to open it,but i get loading errors,will try again later.

yes you probabaly could incorperate it into a tile based engine, but as it rotates 360, youll need some clever little algorithms to work out which tiles to draw, and not lose too much performance. the thing in my footer used to just be a little banner with my name on it and flying 3d worms, but i guess this board doesnt support swf tags any more, and the free server i used has got slower every day, so its probably not working... grr.

wups,and i thought it was a 3d version of worms in flash...
    yep,it´s sad but the board doesn´t support flash banners anymore

back to the other thing:
    i thought about creating either maps with few semi3dobjects(cubes) or indoormaps with short line of view or to allow panning like in your experiment but only for a smaller degree span (so you can´t see far distances).
    hm,after 2k is finished (and if i then have enough spare time),i´ll give it a try.
    (after looking at the experiment again,i noticed method you use (i think),probably it´s not full 3d (as you said) but instead (in contrast to drawing api real time "full flavoured" 3d) it would allow textured objects,right?