A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: level103.com - Site Check

Innovative Contemporary Design

level103.com - Site Check

Hi,
    Can you check out my site level103.com and tell what you think! I run my own web design company and that is going to be my company site. So if any own is interested in partnerships (especially with web hosting companys) then e-mail sales@level103.com or if anyone wants a site for us to build e-mail us.
    Many Thanks,
    Aaron Aghoghogbe
    Level103
    Innovative Contemporary Design
    Level 103

dude, I know flash doesn't have Spell check, but really .. what is "Intialising"
    Sometimes....when it comes over me..... And I totally lose control......... I Like it.

www.visiontilt.com
    www.glamourdog.com
    www.caseyandcynthia.com

Mr Snowman
    A drinking village with a fishing problem
    For those that want to look at this guys site it can be found by clicking this URL

http://www.level103.com/

A couple of thoughts on this site. Try and center the pop up. System initializing is kind of scary, downloading would be better and use a load bar or some other indication of load time left. It was a long long wait, only to find that I went onto another loading sign. I would recommend putting the loading into one page not have to go through two load pages. It puts folks off. I am not sure why it took so long to load (I am on DSL which is being nice and fast today) as the site is simple without graphics.
    Life is just a bunch of swf's

I think it's a good start, so don't think that my number of comments means I think poorly of your site -- I don't! Just trying to add some suggestions:

I'm not too keep on the automatic popup -- in fact that's why I wrote a piece of software that blocks them. Remember, it's not just ads that get annoying, it's anytime a website takes control of your browser. Think about using an "enter" button to launch the window, with a message that it will load a new window, and your users will be much happier....

In your preloader, think about adding a percentage display, or some kind of graphic that will let the user know roughly how fast the download is taking place. Long downloads seem even longer when you don't know how much more time it will take.

The sound effects are a bit too loud, maybe tone them down and make them subtler.

The text seems too small for that font. Try looking for a good pixel font to use, or consider using a larger font size. I thing the best thing would be to use the larger font size and incorporate a scrollbar into your boxes.

In sections like "portfolio", I don't like BCK and NXT without their vowels, it's less-than-professional. Arrows would be a good thing here.

Needs color...

There is a semi-transparent white box in the "Portfolio" section, that is part of the drag box, and it doesn't get sized like the border. So when I drag the box over the logo in the bottom-left, you can see the white box underneath the drag box.

The transition for the "Special" box looks a bit odd, I think the shape tween is messed up.

And finally, when other windows are opened, have the new window open on top of the others, instead of in a pre-set order.

Good luck with the site!

LuxFX
    For War's a banker, flesh his gold. There by the furnace of Troy's field, Where thrust meets thrust, he sits to hold His scale, and watch the spear-point sway; And back to waiting homes he sends Slag from the ore, a little dust To drain hot tears from hearts of friends

- Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Originally posted by caseywhitcher
    dude, I know flash doesn't have Spell check, but really .. what is "Intialising"
    dude, words are spelled different in different countries.

the shoeless designer Barefoot Kid's Avatar
    true but thats just spelt wrong.....anyways i cant comment cause all i saw when i went to it was a splash page...

One more thing...

I don't mean to be picky - Your site looks pretty good. But when I closed the pop-up window (no, I don't have problem with them) there was no re-open link. If The window had not opened automatically, then I would not have been able to access your site.
    Just a thought.
    FYI: Cable, IE 6, Win ME
    Hope this helps.
    - Derek
    (PS - I have pop-up blocker too, and it's actually a bit of bother...)
    FYI :: DSL, IE 6, Win Me, 1280 x 1024
    Hoping for PowerBook G4
    HD|SO|BTC

what's the deal with the download time? im on a very fast network and it took a looooooooooooooooooong time...

hm.

why such a long loading time? your sound clip seems to take up most of that load.

- skip button in your intro

- email links not be linked.

- the layers pop up in pre-determined layers and positions. depending on which button I press first, it forces me to close other 'windows' or drag them apart from each other.

- cgi? php? asp? this site doesnt seem to integrate any of these technologies. include sample works, or make your site relevant to your service.