A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people use Macs instead of PCs?

Why do people use Macs instead of PCs?

Or vice versa?

What's so good about Mac?

I've used G4 but I can't see any advantage over PCs?

they are geared towards video editing and animation

alot of parts on a mac are more powerful than a PC

for example their CPU speeds may sound slow but you cannot compare them directly to PC speeds cause they are not of the same architecture

they are also much simpler to use, and provide a great working space for artists

and no i dont love macs....i have a PC...but have used macs as well for part of my life

Ok I C

hay, mouse11 your the moderator at robot forum right?

rogot world -> yes

What's so good about it?
    Well: for one: I can have StudioMX running and at the same time I can work with the terminal and have access to all the developer tools that comes with OSX!
    It's a rock solid OS that has a perfect memory management system and it just perfect!!
    NuCleuZ :: PHPVolcano :: Blog

I have to agree with nucleuz on this one... between MacOS X and Win2k, I choose MacOS X. It just seems like it's more stable, and solid... but don't get me wrong... I like Win2k over WinXP...

but... I wish Apple will catch up in the hardware department.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

they look pretty.
    Sam

running a screensaver as a background, itunes, rendering in Cinema 4d, photoshop, AOL, and this window all at the same time...and nothing is gonna lock up....thats why i use mac! plus anything to get away from bill and his evil henchmen.
    ..JCESS..

I started on a mac and have both a pc and a mac. I feel the pc flash playback framerate is much higher. Macs seem to be in slow motion when viewing a flash site. Naming convention is better on a pc too in terms of clicking on a similar file when saving and just changing a letter or number rather than renaming the whole thing on the mac. I sure love the feel of the mac but my workflow tends to be more efficient on the pc.

PC framerate is higher, click the link in my footer.
    Sam

Timetravelling Superhero AJ Infinity's Avatar
    Macs are also more secure than PC's. They also have better grafx power, particularly on Jaguar. They run UNIX apps, and they look better than PeeCees. I'm a PC user who recently switched in 2001 because of grafx power and the stablity of OS X.
    From here to infinity,
    A J I N F I N I T Y

Shameless Newstoday Plug
    Ah yes, another Mac vs. PC thread.

I have both computers. I use the PC for games, surfing, and simple art stuff.

But I use my G4 for the big stuff, e.g. 3d and Video rendering, huge art projects, and my design work. Apple needs to work on their hardware though. The last benchmark test i read had the latest AMD own the top G4 dual processor in 3d rendering and gaming.
    Last edited by teow; 11-03-2002 at 03:36 PM.

Dense Dense Revolution
    Although I also use Macs I respectfully disagree with the statement of Macs being faster than PCs. Yes the G4 is MHz per MHz faster than a P4 at the same rate, but the P4 and AMD CPU have been improving at an extremely fast rate due to intense competition. Now we have 3GHZ P4 with hyperthreading while Macs are still trying pushing 1.25 Gigs. Among other things:

Power Mac G4 VS. Pentium 4 (I have more links if you want)

Bottom line is people do not buy Mac for its horsepower but, I least for me, I use Macs because I find the user interface of OSX/9 much more easy to use and elegant(TM). In other words it is simply easier to use than Windows. I could put in several examples but I'm a lazy bastard...

Also,I love iTunes and Sherlock which is my favorite search tool. Try looking for a file in Windows through its clumsy search tool..gah!
    "I never let schooling interfere
    with my education." -Mark Twain

I wouldn't get too excited with hyperthreading if I were you...it's not really a direct improvement of performance, it relies applications having been written to take advantage of multprocessor support.
    In some cases it improves performance, in other cases performance actually decreases...it completely depends on the mix of applications you have running at the time.

As an added bonus,
    For the P4 @ 3.06GHz, this translates into a whopping 81W of power, a number that could theoretically climb as high as 105W.
    On the other hand, rumour has it that Apple will be shifting over to a new chipset next year (possibly a derivative of the Power4 ???)...I hope so, because you're right, the current range can't compete with top end PCs on speed.
    Last edited by SJT; 11-19-2002 at 08:50 AM.
    Sam

Oops! Big error! Meant to say it the other way:
    why do people use PC's instead of Macs

I'm a Mac user myself and I'm always participating in Macs vs PC's arguments. Did y'all know that most TV shows and movies are done w/ Macs. Along w/ most graphics and publishing work. I'm in 3D animation in LightWave 3D and also visual fx in the industry leading fx software from Apple, Shake. (http://www.apple.com/shake)
    From here to infinity,
    A J I N F I N I T Y

On Mac OS X, I can run BBEdit, Flash MX, the Terminal, Internet Explorer and AOL all at the same time on a 500 Mhz G3 w/ 128 MB of memory at a very fast speed. I can't see a PC doing that.
    From here to infinity,
    A J I N F I N I T Y

Originally posted by Adryanv
    Power Mac G4 VS. Pentium 4 (I have more links if you want)
    BAH! with PC weenies it's always a friggin numbers game! drives me up the wall!

i'd like to hear them touting about their precious rendering times and savings while that dell is on the shelf getting windows reloaded for the eighth time and the mac is still crunching polygons.

people will never get it throught their head... would you rather have a mercedes with 100hp that is designed and engineered by people who know what they are doing? or a camaro that has 300hp and brakes down all the time?... sure the camaro is cheaper... and maybe a little faster off the line... BUT IT"S STILL CHEVY CRAP!

is my car plate number.
    Guys, it is true you can do more things with Mac with the same speed in PC. It depends on what basis you must use Mac nor PC.
    I used PC, and Mac at the same time.
    I used Mac for Illustrator and Photoshop and PC for other software.
    Graphical wise, I don't see much different between the two. May be it's because of the 'Designer' tradition to use Mac. Besides, I prefer working StudioMX on PC. Y'all know why?
    90% of home users in the world are using Windows, that's why. In terms of compatibility, Flash player runs better in PC rather than Mac. There are more things you can do with ActiveX Control in Internet Explorer PC rather than other browsers .... Think who is the major player..........
    Besides, can you use Visual Studio in Mac?

is my car plate number.

Computer gaming on mac....

By the way, there are more pirated PC CD-ROM than Mac in my country........ ..............

Originally posted by wr1667
    There are more things you can do with ActiveX Control in Internet Explorer PC rather than other browsers .... Think who is the major player..........
    Besides, can you use Visual Studio in Mac?
    Both activex and Visual Studio are Microsoft proprietry things (in fact, Activex is taken from an Apple idea called OpenDoc; apple shelved it so MS poached all the apple developers for it and implemented it themselves).
    Anyway, my point was this; Microsoft dominate the computing market partly because of their proprietry formats which are foisted upon their users with software updates to the OS etc, once you have a base of users that you can make use your new "cool" thing it's easy to make other platforms seem behind etc. by simpling excluding them from being able to use the "cool" new thing.

This is why MS were taken to court by the DoJ; monopolism, and why I don't care for MS.

I also find their software and OS clunky and bodged together, not really that well designed for the user; up until Win 2K, Windows was basically a GUI patch to DOS.

Either way, they have the current dominant position and there's not much anyone can do about that except develop with cross platform, open standards that don't exclude others.

P.S. FlashKit does not tolerate the promotion of pirated software, warez etc. please keep this in mind; you have been warned.
    Sam