A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Why do people use Macs instead of PCs?

Don't get me wrong, I use PCs a lot in my work as well, and i'm fully aware that they have the majority share; every peice of work you do should be tested on as many different platform/browser combinations you can find...it's just when there's a bug in a bit of software on a platfrom dismissing that platform completely winds me up
    Sam

Dense Dense Revolution
    AJ Infinity,

Using a Mac does not make you instantly a "designer" or "creative person." Real creativity is in the matter between our ears. I'm sure we all agree that the Mac, just like the PC is simply a tool. For every Pro Mac argument you put down on the table there will be a PC advocate who would contend to that...bottom line is no one gets convinced just agitated.

It all boils down on which platform the person feels comfortable using. We just have to respect each others choices. Besides why "marry" yourself with only one platform? This is not some religion where you can only have one truth/way/belief to follow.
    Last edited by Adryanv; 11-21-2002 at 08:33 AM.
    "I never let schooling interfere
    with my education." -Mark Twain

Dense Dense Revolution
    ops
    Last edited by Adryanv; 11-21-2002 at 09:10 AM.
    "I never let schooling interfere
    with my education." -Mark Twain

Timetravelling Superhero AJ Infinity's Avatar
    Sorry egush13. I'll be heading off to college soon and that's why I said that. Have you seen the newest PowerMacs running at 18.2 billion calculations per second and have you seen Mac OS X. Believe me, it's interface is awesome and it wooed me over. Go to www.apple.com/macosx for more info. Adryanv you can fight against MS at the grassroots level by boycotting their products like Publisher, Visio, Project, FrontPage, Internet Explorer, Windows Media, ASP, and Windows itself. Their are many alternatives on the Mac, like Adobe's InDesign or PageMaker, QuarkXPress, OmniGorup's OmniGraffle, FastTrack Schedule, Adobe's GoLive or Macromedia's Dreamweaver, OmniWeb or iCab, QuickTime or RealMedia, macASP or PHP or Java or Perl or AppleScript, and Linux or Mac OS X. And Mac OS X has some major advantages over Linux:
    1. Mac OS X has a brilliant, easy to use interface called Aqua
    2. Mac OS X has graphics power that leaves Linux (and other operating systems such as Windows) in the dust.

Oh yeah and egush13, G4's aren't slow. A 400 Mhz dual processor G4 beat a gigahertz Pentium 4. Gigahertz doesn't matter, real world system performance does.
    From here to infinity,
    A J I N F I N I T Y

Originally posted by SJT
    Don't get me wrong, I use PCs a lot in my work as well, and i'm fully aware that they have the majority share; every peice of work you do should be tested on as many different platform/browser combinations you can find...it's just when there's a bug in a bit of software on a platfrom dismissing that platform completely winds me up
    SJT, do you happen to have a PowerBook or iBook running Mac OS X v10.2 Jaguar? If you do, take it to work and show your boss how well Macs network with PC's. Also, learn Samba or get software like Dave to help. You're running Microsoft Office V.X, right?
    From here to infinity,
    A J I N F I N I T Y

No I don't have a powerbook or ibook unfortunately; i'm at uni now anyway, left the job with the PCs.
    As for samba, it's built in to 10.2, no need to learn it, just go to www.versiontracker.com and look for samba server config tool, it's great for enhancing apples built in samba server.
    Sam

If Macromedia built support into Flash for the Quartz 2D graphics layer in Mac OS X, the Mac versions of Flash MX and the Flash Player would completely blow away versions of Flash on other platforms such as the older Mac OS, Linux, and Windows. Waht do you think, SJT? Microsoft built support for Quartz into the Mac version of Office and Mac users received graphics features like chart transparency in Excel and PowerPoint and text antialiasing in PowerPoint. Plus PowerPoint performed and rendered at blazing speeds. Toom Boom Technologies built Quartz support into the Mac OS X -only Toon Boom Studio and Toon Boom Studio's performance on the Mac rocked. OmniGroup put Quartz support in OmniWeb and OmniWeb became the fastest web browser.
    From here to infinity,
    A J I N F I N I T Y

The problem is making a plugin that's small enough for users to download without thinking about it; that's why the flash 5 player is faster at legacy code (ie. flash 4 actionscript), the flash 5 dot syntax is wrapped around the original core of the flash 4 code so that it doesn't have to be written twice; once for the old code and once for the new code, otherwise it would double the size of the plugin.
    Last edited by SJT; 11-27-2002 at 05:58 PM.
    Sam

Secret Agent
    AJInfinity just about any dual processor system will beat a single processor regardless of OS. What does a G4 do against a P4 one on one? Kinda hard to compare actually considering the hardware and OS are for the most part completely different. Use the system that works for you, that one will always be the best!

The fastest PowerMac G4 is 90% faster than the fastet PC on the market. Check the stats somewhere on www.apple.com/powermac .Macs are basically the best computers for anyone. Easy to use, straightforward, and user friendly to anyone or advanced and complex for hard core computer users. Macs have graphics, audio, video, 3D, and networking capabilities that go far beyond the ordinary PC's capabilities. Macs are just advanced versions of PCs w/ a beautiful interface called Aqua.
    From here to infinity,
    A J I N F I N I T Y

Originally posted by AJ Infinity
    The fastest PowerMac G4 is 90% faster than the fastet PC on the market. Check the stats somewhere on www.apple.com/powermac .
    Don't take that benchmark results on Apple.com too seriously. They are done so that the Mac will look really good, not considering how real world like the benchmark is.

For more realistic benchmarks, look at http://www.barefeats.com.
    They test without a bias for either side. And the benchmarks don't look quite so good as Apples benchmarks, I can tell you...

Just to let you know, Apple performed a test that Macs have always beat PC's in. Hint: Has something to do with a company named after mud dwellings.
    From here to infinity,
    A J I N F I N I T Y

If BareFeats.com did a beauty test, Macs would win. If they did a Universe render with Mac Xserve's, the Xserve renderfarm would win.

dodgetigger, you're a Mac user? And about your screen name, can I ask what it means ?
    Last edited by AJ Infinity; 11-29-2002 at 02:15 PM.
    From here to infinity,
    A J I N F I N I T Y

You might want to read this AJ;

http://www.barefeats.com/pentium4.html

dodge - get out of the way
    tigger - a friendly, slightly insane, bouncy tiger from "Winnie the pooh"

I'm guessing though...
    Sam

Originally posted by SJT

dodge - get out of the way
    tigger - a friendly, slightly insane, bouncy tiger from "Winnie the pooh"

I'm guessing though... [/B]
    You forgot gay.
    From here to infinity,
    A J I N F I N I T Y

You forgot gay.
    LOL.
    The name comes from my domainname and the username I used for most Boards (Tigger). But as Tigger is often already taken, I now use dodgetigger all the time. No one uses that...

For being a Mac user:
    Yes, I see myself as one, although I just bought a PC and using that as my primary machine, as the current Mac line up is just too expensive for what they deliver in my opinion.

But as soon as Apple gets their act together and gets the Power 4 thing rolling or whatever will save their butt I probably will be back with a Mac as my main machine (Still using my B/W G3 for Webserver stuff and testing and, well, iPhoto and mp3 playing with iTunes. Just can't find anything similar on the PC. But I didn't really startet searching...)

To get back to the benchmark thing:
    The Photoshop benchmarks from Apple often look much better than the ones done by other partys. They never say much about the PC they test against, but they never seem to be quite the state-of-the-art machines...
    Last edited by dodgetigger; 11-29-2002 at 07:52 PM.

You forgot gay.
    Easy on the random personal insults please.
    Sam

I heard somthing about the Disney Winnie the Pooh characters being gay, esp. Pooh and Piglet. Ever notice how they hug each other alot? Pumbaa and Timon from Disney's The Lion King, another gay pair ("We do EVERYTHING together!"). Robin Williams and Nathan Lane in another slightly gay movie The Birdcage.
    From here to infinity,
    A J I N F I N I T Y

Originally posted by SJT
    You might want to read this AJ;

http://www.barefeats.com/pentium4.html
    SJT, the Xserve renderfarm would win. That's the power of 10 racks of Xserves (100 altogether...10 in each rack). Bassically, 100 multiprocessor PowerMac G4's.
    From here to infinity,
    A J I N F I N I T Y

But that's not really the point of those test though; the point is to show that although Macs are powerful they don't excel at everything.

Namely, when multiprocessors don't come into play they currently don't have much to show for in the desktop market. It makes no mention of server systems; you can't use a renderfarm to speed up photoshop after all.
    Sam