A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Which PHP book to buy?

Which PHP book to buy?

Hi

I'd like a book on PHP, but I'm not sure what to go for. I can write simple scripts but I'd like to have a book on hand that can use as a reference but that will also talk me through getting better & solving more complex problems. It'd also be good if it had something about using PHP with other dbs than mySQL (preferably through ODBC or XML).

Have you found a particular book to be good? Or are there any you would recommend steering well clear of? I'd appreciate your help.

Ferg
    Never criticise a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. That way, when you DO criticise him, you're a mile away... plus you have his shoes!

when it comes to building a good foundation for php, i recommend - PHP in 24 hours, now alot of programmers may slam me for this, but its quick to read and gets straight to the point with all the topics you will need to know.
    after that book - i suggest u go to a decent book store - Borders maybe, do u have Borders where you come from? take a bit of time to look for a decent book on php - Borders has books on everything.

also look on the web for tutorials...do a search on google.

hope this helped.

scsa
    my way or the high way

Banned
    Proffesional PHP Programming.

By : Wrox "programer to programer"

Good start for a budding PHP programmer Get it

The Minister of No Crap

Moved from the Boardroom. You'll get more replies here.

-scott

the other one

Wrox

Even for a relative newbie like my self to advanced coders

Professional PHP4 Programming.

By : Wrox

The other book I used Create Dynamic Web Pages using PHP and MySQL (David Tansley), was a nice introduction and I found it (as many manuals)rather project specific : I could not apply what I had learnt to develop my own projects. I also found some spelling and incorrect code in the book, does come with a cd, covers installing apache and PHP.

Foundation PHP for Flash (friends of ed) nice crossover for novice php db/ flash, have just ordered advanced version and am hoping to learn something substantial.

Hope this does'nt confuse you more.

Kindest
    Last edited by BarryAllen; 10-18-2002 at 04:08 PM.

Professional PHP programming from WROX is a great book, co-sign on that one.

Sams 'PHP and MySql web development' is another good one, although it tries to be both a tutorial and a reference in places. Some would argue that's a bad thing but I think they pulled it off well. I would never use it as a reference though, the php website is far too good at that.

Best PHP book!

I would have to say that the best book (it's a life saver) is "PHP 4 Bible" (ISBN: 0-7645-4716-X). It deals with many DB options, XML, and so much more! Plenty of code comes with it (via their site). You should also make use of www.php.net That should be all you need!

Regardless of your choices, I wish you luck, and I recomend spending a few hours in your local Barnes & Noble just looking through the books to find the one that will go at your pace, and is at your level, but will continue to be useful in the future.

Knoj.
    Pop-up script
    191,953 is a prime number!Check out my Prime Number generator
    View my [ Location | fla's | Tutorials | Portfolio | Posts ]
    Knoj

knoj@knoj.com

Man, real life sucks... ....There's no "undo" button! (knoj)

cheers everyone.
    Never criticise a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. That way, when you DO criticise him, you're a mile away... plus you have his shoes!

Don't forget PHP For Flash.
    Good if you like Flash; good examples combining the two for pretty exciting stuff.