dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: swift 3.0----OSX

swift 3.0----OSX

1) Love the app, hate the developers. When will software companies, such as electric rain start making a cocoa based app, instead of throwing some carbon based relic at mac users. This thing only runs in OS9.
    2) I cannot believe that they tout this product as "New" and "revolutionary" when the software runs only on a operating system from two years ago.
    3) I have just updated to Jaguar and feel a bit behind, I am so upset that I just bought another product that will sit on a shelf. I'll use Lightwave, at least they recognize their OSX customer base.
    4) After receiving the software, I had to wait to download the update and additional tutorials, you would think that the company would ship CD's with the current version of the software. ugh.
    5) This product gets a thumbs down from OSX/Jaguar users.
    eggheadstudio.com...version 2.0...coming soon

I understand your anger... however, you have to understand a couple of things - there are a couple of great threads about this at the erain.com community forum in the Swift3D 3.0 forum, as well as the 3D Wishlist forum.

As a MacOS X user (only MacOS I use!) as well as a PC user, I feel as if a non-MacOS X version was, initially without doing any research, an overlooked item by eRain. However, eRain bases their development based on what the users tell them.

Now... here's where you and I, as MacOS X users come in. eRain has about as clear of a channel of communication with their userbase as any company out there. They listen. And due to many users not making it known that they are MacOS X users, they didn't know. There's a "Peaceful MacOS X/Swift3D thread" in the Wishlist forum, as well as many discussions about this. Let your OS preference be known. Without your information, how will the company know what to develop?

I've been asking since the 2.0 release for a MacOS X version. I also have done some research into why they would overlook this item - hey, it happens... I'm still waiting on Pixels3D 4.x on the MacOS X

So... add your responses there. Let them know, in a professional manner, that you are indeed a MacOS X.

and no. I don't work for eRain. I just like their products, and on this one, I'll benefit with a MacOS X version just as you would. On one of my Macs, I don't even run Classic. So, I understand your feelings better than you think.

spread the word

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

-I was a little hostile in that earlier post. I really don't think erain relies on the opinions of their their customer, as much as you think. Are you telling me that they were not aware of Apple's new operating system during their creation of swift 3.00.
    -What happened is the same thing that is happening at Quark, Zaxwerks, Electric image, and many other 3D/graphic app development companies.
    There "New" creations are built over the existing carbon code. They (including erain) know that the app has to be written from scratch in order to accomidate an OSX/jaguar platform.
    -My complaint is that OSX has been out for two years. Apple is already moving on. The Software developers really must get in the game. Mac's make up a great deal of the 3D/Graphic market.
    -Take a look at what will happen if this philosophy continues----ex(Quark has lost a great deal of market share to Adobe Indesign,,,,Why?..Because Adobe was one of the first companies to release OSX native apps, which includes Indesign, Quark has yet to put anything out except maybe a bootleg demo)
    --conclusion: I am upset about this, but realize the bottom line.
    eggheadstudio.com...version 2.0...coming soon

caithness massiv

Re: swift 3.0----OSX

Originally posted by cembert
    1) Love the app, hate the developers.
    that's really too bad... i happen to think we are a really cool group of people

fyi :

our development process focuses heavily on the opinions of our customer and i hope you can see that most of the new v3 features are things that people have requested in the past

about osx :

Electric Rain is currently in the process of exploring the development of a carbonized version of Swift 3D V3. We will hopefully be heading down this road very soon baring any major unforeseen hurdles. Although, the current numbers of OS X users are low, we realize that OS X users are growing daily and we want to continue our support for the Mac community. Please help us identify what percentage of our current Mac customer base is using OS X by going to www.erain.com/default.asp?section=mac

All upcoming news regarding our OS X development plans will be publicized via our site, Rainstorm e-newsletter and Mac user base. Thanks for your patience and we hope to have a solution very soon.

Re: reply

Originally posted by cembert
    -I was a little hostile in that earlier post. I really don't think erain relies on the opinions of their their customer, as much as you think. Are you telling me that they were not aware of Apple's new operating system during their creation of swift 3.00.
    -What happened is the same thing that is happening at Quark, Zaxwerks, Electric image, and many other 3D/graphic app development companies.
    No, that is not what I'm saying. Just as Quark stated that they "may" be coming out with QuarkXPress 5.x next year on the OSX, they knew in advance about MacOS X as well.

It's still not here. And OSX is over 2 years old. Yet they felt as if, based upon their user database, that the demand was not there.

Now it is.

There "New" creations are built over the existing carbon code. They (including erain) know that the app has to be written from scratch in order to accomidate an OSX/jaguar platform.
    -My complaint is that OSX has been out for two years. Apple is already moving on. The Software developers really must get in the game. Mac's make up a great deal of the 3D/Graphic market.
    Couldn't agree more - from a consumer standpoint.

However, there are still - just the developers point - programs that are not Win2k compliant... and Win2k is over 3 years old. Developers cater to whomever their customers may be. As well as what their resources may or may not be at the moment. Not all application developers are able to quickly jump on the "what's new bandwagon". Think about it... it took Adobe almost 23 months to get Photoshop on OSX. And that's one of their biggest sellers. Go figure.

-Take a look at what will happen if this philosophy continues----ex(Quark has lost a great deal of market share to Adobe Indesign,,,,Why?..Because Adobe was one of the first companies to release OSX native apps, which includes Indesign, Quark has yet to put anything out except maybe a bootleg demo)
    --conclusion: I am upset about this, but realize the bottom line.
    Sorry, it's not a perfect world. As a person that's seen too many OS's come and go, and seen how the early adopter get overlooked - or in this case, the 2 year or so adopters - and what not, well... that's where telling the people that make the products that you like to use to come out with a version that works on the shiny new OS they are using now.

Whether or not they do it intentionally or not, it's something that still happens.

So... willing to add your voice to the people that's requesting an OSX version, or are you willing to just remain upset? I truly hope you choose to add your voice...

btw, Freehand 10 beat out Indesign 2 by months. Macromedia was on OSX before Adobe.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]