A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Which Magic RPG?

Which Magic RPG?

Which magic-like, ancient times, RPG eould you recomend?

Right now, I'm thinking about "Arcanum".

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

Isn't that Arcana? Or is that a different one? (or are you joking again and am I missing the point once more?)

2KHeroes / Sylvaniah designer luxregina's Avatar
    Actually Arcanum is not that " ancient times " since there is a Sci-fi element strongly present ! but it is, indeed a cool game !

Well, i won't make the offence to advise the Baldur's gate Serie or Diablo, for that you certainly already know them ...

So here are the fun and/or graphicly stunning RPG that I would advise :

- IceWind Dale I and II
    - the Ultima serie ( most of them abandonWare at Underdog )
    - the Elder's Scroll serie
    - Dungeon Siege
    - NeverWinter Night

Not really a RPG, but my favorite game for now : Warcraft III

I cannot give any "magic" - like title since i don't really play that type of "card" game ...

And think to keep some time for Two Kingdoms !!! the first chapter should be playable next week !

Definatly the baldur's gate series, they are my favourite games, ever, though becoming a bit dated now. if you can get your hands on planescape torment, thats supposed to be a really good game. also, NWN (neverwinter nights) has a lot of replay value, given the amount of mods and multiplayer support goin for it.

oh, and on the subject of arcanum - it is a good game, and it had me playing for maybe 5 hours. but rpgs really need to keep you hooked, and i found arcanum slow moving and repetative. if you want that sort of game, BG1+2 are a must (if you havnt allready played them)
    Respect

What about some of the games that really brought the genre mainstream like Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior? Obviously there were ones before those, but aside from the first Ultima and Wizardry, those are the most memorable for me...

Heck, I'm such a geek I still fire up the old SNES for a run-through of Final Fantasy III ocassionally

perhaps I should specify. When I say "magic" I don't meen the card game. I meen Sorcery, and spells and what not with Wizards. I always tend to be a wizard in these kinds of games.

Baulders gate seems to be a big winner here.

I don't think of Diablo when I think of this Genre, for some reason.

And when I say games, I meen for the computer. Sorry for the mis-understadning there, exorcyze

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.

Originally posted by ViRGo_RK
    Baulders gate seems to be a big winner here.
    Ah ! i don't know why, i thought that you had already played Baldur's Gate .... I always assume everybody has already played BG ... ...

Well, it is considered by most of the press as the BEST RPG ever made on PC, it is supposed to be very long to complete, with a very complex and motivating story ... i definitely think you should give it a go !

I cannot say much more : i've never played it myself ( i'm not playing too much games aside Warcraft, and i need quick played games ... ) but, the day i will have a bit more personnal time ( well, when my personnal time will be less packed with work ... ) i will definitely try it out !

and don't forget Two Kingdoms in your "to play" list !!!

Oh, of course I will keep Two kingdoms in my list, but is "Two Kingdoms" the firt one or the second one?

The first or the second among what ? i'm afraid i didn't understood

Is two kingdoms the first game or the second? For some reason, I keep thinking there is a second game in the series you are making, but I can't remember the first one.

So the question is: Is there more that one game in this series?

Originally posted by ViRGo_RK
    Is two kingdoms the first game or the second? For some reason, I keep thinking there is a second game in the series you are making, but I can't remember the first one.

So the question is: Is there more that one game in this series?
    Ah ok !!!

Well : Two Kingdoms is basicly the name that i want to give to a whole set of games ( at least Two ... )
    The first game, which still is under heavy devloppement will be "The Fortress of Kilkgaard" and is the one you might have seen recently on the board ( http://grafikdezign.free.fr/game/game.htm for the beta - http://grafikdezign.free.fr/teaser.htm for the 'temporary' trailer )
    2K:TFOK, as the name speaks, is the trip to rally the Fortress of Kilkgaard to warn the King of the Orcish invasion ...
    Then, when this chapter will be done, i really want to put our heroes in the situation to kick some bad-ass on their way to Stormgaard, where evil lies ... this could still be a RPG, or a RTS or whatever ...
    The second chapter will be a way to include a new game play, bring new ideas and so and so ...
    But this will happen only when the first chapter will be done, which means not before a serious amount of time ...

if u havnt played baldur's gate 1+2, you would be turning down a great opportunity not go out and give them a go. Its all based on D&D, that is, you can be a wizard or a fighteror a thief or whatever, generating pretty good replay value. in BG2 you can even go a sorcerer.

i never really like pc games until BG, and even now (2 years on) its all i can get myself to play.

buy BG!
    Respect

I've never heared anybody talking about Age of Wonders. Maybe because it's made by a small group of Dutch people. The second game (AoW2) has been released short time ago. It's a turn based mix between stategy and RPG.

Everybody who likes Orc, Elves etc. should check this game!!!

What I'm looking for in the game I am getting that hasn't already been mentioned is: I'm looking for an over-head veiw, preferrably, but it's not nessecary. I don't want turned based, definitly. My favorite right now is real-time fighting. Kind of like age of empires. But don't think age of empires, just think real time.

So, what view is Baulder's gate? And is it turn-based?

By the way, thanks everyone for your contributions, when I get a game, I do lots of research first.

Lux, I see now. Thanks for clearing it up. I thought there were plans for a second one...

http://www.planetbalgursgate.com

its isometric view, you control a party. definatly not turnbased, although the essential pause feature lets you control everything in battle a bit easier.
    Respect

Okay, now the question is: Which Baulders gate would you most recomend?

By the way, Jorosdaman, your link is wrong.

This is the link corrected

hehe, oops, well atleast u understood. as far as choosing which game, i would reccomend baldurs gate 2 and its expansion, throne of bhaal. BG1 is simply to obselete now, and unless you are allready a fan of the series, its not playable.BG2 however is still relativly new, and is definatly worth the 40$ (australian) that you pay for it.
    Respect