A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: screen size

screen size

Hi, I'm trying to make a CD which has the screen size to full screen, BUT with it's contents set to 800x600 (more like Director does). So if you're on 1024x768 or higher, the projector is full screen but the contents are fixed to 800x600, and if you're at 800x600 well... just simply stay full screen with contents at 800x600.

Has anyone ever done this? Or I missed anything and asking silly here?

Thanks in advance
    Adrian Groberman
    agroberman@ferronatoadv.com

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    Put the following on your first frame:
    Code:
    fscommand("FULLSCREEN", TRUE);
    fscommand("ALLOWSCALE", FALSE);
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

thanks for your reply, but you missed the point (or maybe I didn't explained myself correctly)

The thing is that I want to have a projector file set to full screen (that I know how to do it), BUT I want the "contents" of it to be in 800x600 resolution, meaning that no matter the resolution the user has, the projector is always full screen, but with contents "resized" to 800x600. More like a Director CD looks like. You have a full (white or whatever color) screen in back, and you can display contents in a desired measure (in this case 800x600).

This way you don't have to have the contents resized to full screen.
    See the attached image for an example. Obviously it's not at it's actual resolution due to file size issue.

So, no matter the user's resolution, I want the projector to be fullscreen and the contents fixed at 800x600.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Adrian Groberman

Hi,

Download a copy of Flash Studio PRO, it's FREE for personal use and you can set DirectX resolution with just 1 command!

You can download a copy from http://www.multidmedia.com

Sample Projectors (and a DirectX example) with source FLA's are available at www.multidmedia.com/fls/downloads

Hope this helps!

thanks Gambini, I downloaded your soft. It's a great piece of work you have there, but unfortunately it doesn't work for this.

Thanks anyway, though

Any other ideas?
    Adrian Groberman

Hi, thanks for the kind words!

Sorry, maybe I didn't understand correctly, didn't you want to switch resolution to 800x600?

no, I don't want to switch to resolutions, because it's a cross-platform CD. What I want is to have a Director-like display, meaning that I want an area of 800x600 fixed in measures, and have the background to be white (or whatever color). See the attached image above (in another reply on this post) to see what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance,
    Adrian Groberman

sorry, but the image above doesn't show well, because I added a white background. :-) Feeling kinda stupid, here!

Here's the correct image

And sorry for the double post!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Adrian Groberman

Ahh, I see. So you're SWF is NOT 800x600, but you would like to scale to that size, and fill the rest of the background with a specific colour. Is that right?

yes, it could be 800x600 or also 640x480, in either case I'd like that fixed in size (resolution independent) and the rest filled with whatever color.

Is this possible? Or is there a script that automatically according to percentages resizes everything to achieve what I want?

I've also experimented trying to make an HTML to launch another HTML t full screen (like those pop-ups annoying on the net), but I think that in mac, it won't work, or either won't work in Netscape (as usual), no offense.

But now I'm thinking that all resolutions (up to 1024x768) are constrained in their dimensions (if you resize an image from 1024 to 800 or 640 in width, it will keep constrained the height with relative resolution's height). When it comes to higher than 1024, it's a problem, because they're not relative.

All my books are burned here ...
    Adrian Groberman

You'll have to play with actionscript a little, but this should be easy.. At the satart of your appmake it fullscreen. Then get the screen resolution from flash. Say the screen res is 800x600, no problemo.. but say it is 1200x1024 then you will have to scale everything. Have a command that adjusts the scale of all your movieclips based on the screen resolution. You should probally hard code in all resolutions because you can't really use a formula, that i know of at least to get things to scale right.
    lesley paone
    www.aritali.com

I think that could do it, that's exactly what I started to think right now. This could also be the solution to cross-platform projector due that there's no application for the MAC that could enter the executable and have the projector personalized like in PC.

I'll make an example and see if it works, and let you all know about it.

Thank you all for your answers! I'm greatly appreciated.
    Adrian Groberman

How do you mean personalized? You can use resedit to edit the project pretty extensivly. You can't add features like the other softwares can, but you can take the right click menu off, and the toolbar menu.. change the file description properties.. stuff like that
    lesley paone
    www.aritali.com

Thanks! I'll also give ResEdit a try.
    Adrian Groberman

you know guys? I was playing around with flash, and found that if you first put fscommand->allowscale->false and then you put fscommand->fullscreen->true it actually works!

Don't mind in scripting with resize and all that, just these two codes make it work!

Thanks all of you that gave me suggestions, and specially the one that pointed this out first, and I couldn't make it work.
    Adrian Groberman

Just a thought and I might be way off here because I have not tried this, But what if you made a projector with one frame and the color you want it to be and set it to fullscreen. Then used loadmovie to bring in your swf's to levels, Your main movie would be at full screen but your swf's would stay at what every size you make them. 800 x 600 would still be that because it is loaded into a level above the main movie.

Never mind, I made it work.

Anyway, I don't know about your suggestion, never tried it, it could work, though.

Thanks
    Adrian Groberman