A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Curve arrow animation

Curve arrow animation

I have an arrow the curves up in a graph and I was wondering if someone could give some ideas or example of how to achieve this in flash. I have attached the image to better understand what I am getting at.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't know 100% what you're asking but I think I might have an idea..... if you're looking to have an arrow move and curve around a path I'd suggest creating a mask with the path and have a colored object move underneath the mask.....that is how I did it on the "Story" section on this site: http://addyroad.com/addyroad/addyroad.html

If that's not what you're asking or have a better idea please let me know
    Last edited by mattsavard; 10-25-2002 at 12:22 PM.

If you look at the arrow image that I have provided it may clear up what I am trying to do. I kinda understand what you are talking about but did not see the example on your site. If you see the arrow all I want is to show piece by piece of the arrow growing upwards, so that when completed the entire arrow is there. Could you maybe provide a direct example that would show me how to achieve this.

Thanks again

the image is not animating for me properly...plesae email it to me at matt.savard@truetemper.com and I'll take a look at it....

I haven't started emailing it. It is just a static gif. I was looking for ideas on how to achieve the animation in flash.

My point is that I don't understand WHAT animation you want....I just see an arrow....do you want it to slide in...fade in....do you want a mask to reveal it gradually....do you want it to dance....what?

I have an arrow animation. http://www.tutash.com/invitation/

click on the martini glass to see the arrow.

is this the sort of arrow you're talking about?

tutash

Originally posted by tutash
    I have an arrow animation. http://www.tutash.com/invitation/

click on the martini glass to see the arrow.

is this the sort of arrow you're talking about?

tutash
    Yes this is exactly the type of arrow I need is there any code or example you can provide that will help me understand how to achieve this?

Thanks in advance

it looks to my like all you need is a a mask layer over your graph, then motion-tween your wedge-shaped line in, then have it shape tween into an arrow

Yes I figured as much but I am not sure how to accomplish all the things are you are describing. Could you provide an example of such or lead me to a tutorial that would help me understand how to accomplish this ?

first make your arrows base line
    then add a layer, and make it a mask layer by right clicking and selicting mask
    next draw a box ontop of your graph
    a mask only will show only what is inside the box
    then have your base come into the graph where you want it using a motion tween
    make sure your base is not grouped, or a symbol
    (Modify - Break Apart, or CTRL-B will do this)
    then add a motion tween and in the properties box change motion to shape, then add the head of your arrow and about 20-30 frames down on the shape tween and presto

i hope that helps
    at least thats what i think you are talking about

Do you want me to send you the arrow?

enjoy

tutash

Yes can you please upload it so I may download it...thanks

Here's the link to that arrow you liked.

http://www.tutash.com/arrow.fla

Enjoy

tutash

ps. when you're finished with the project that your using the arrow in, will you let me have a look at it?

Originally posted by tutash
    Here's the link to that arrow you liked.

http://www.tutash.com/arrow.fla

Enjoy

tutash

ps. when you're finished with the project that your using the arrow in, will you let me have a look at it?
    Thanks for the arrow, its great...the only problem is that I ahve no idea how you did it....I know this is asking for much but could you maybe expain how you did this. I see you used shape tweening but I am not sure why mine will not work. If you see the original start of this post I had attached an image of an arrow that I would be using. I tried to follow what you had there but mine seemed to never work. Its a pretty tight animation you have there and I would raelly like to get it to work for me. If you can help, it would much be appreciated. Thanks

I still can't figure how the arrows were created. If anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated.