A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: cross platform font sizes with dynamic text...

cross platform font sizes with dynamic text...

OK! I'll try to be breif... better to see than to hear....

http://www.renemarie.com
    skip the intro - then click on MUSIC at the bottom - then select an album

The text that appears at right (in three columns) is imported as variables in .txt format. On a mac the line spacing is tight tight tight. On a PC the line spacing is better.

I am using flash to set my type size (in a dynamic text box), hence, the .txt files contain no <FONT> tags. I have tried setting line spacing in the .txt files (using px, pt, pica, etc). but the PC / MAC inconsistency still appears.

Is this difference between MAC and PC font inconsistency unavoidable? Is there a better solution to line spacing / font size cross platform when using dynamic text in flash?

thanks!!!

I can supply the source fla and txt files (via my FTP) if that would help with an answer.

b

Hmm, it's probably the difference between text line endings on macs and PCs.
    Macs just put a CR (carriage return) at the end of a line, PCs put CRLF (Carriage return Line feed).

You could try getting BBEdit Lite (it's free) and using the settings in that to save the text file in a different format.
    If you open your text file, across the top of your window you will see an icon that looks like a small file, click this icon and choose DOS from the list.

Other wise, you could set the field to be html and use html formatting (like < br > and < p > etc).

P.s. love your bitmap colour transforms!
    Sam

thans SJT but...

already using <br> tags in the txt file. Thank sfo rthe suggestion though...

b

oops

I in the last post i said:

already using BR tags in the txt file