A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: download from Flsh site

download from Flsh site

How do I make a download of a file on a Flash site?
    Help!

well first of all

well first of all... what type of file is it?
    and ya need to be more clearer.... to get a file you uploaded onto your site to download... use the getURL command... that's if it's a regular site you're talking about... reply if ya need something clearer and I or somebody else might help ya out.

o.O; it says there are 0 replies... o.O; it'll prolly say 1 counting this one

oh wells... -.-;

- O.K. This is what I want to do:
    - I have a site, a Flash site, and I want to make a button on it which will be for downloading a SWF file from my site.
    - I'm verry new at this Internet programing thing and I don't know how this needs to be done
    - any help is usefull
    - Hope this clears things a bit
    thank you
    Never mind the "-" sign.

oh so that's what ya want...

If that's what ya wanted... that's all ya had to say...
    you dont wanna make one BIG SWF file... that's illogaical for one cause it would load the whole thing on the user's computer regardless if they visited or didn't visit certain parts of the SWF...
    you want to load movies on-the-fly...
    use the loadMovie command...
    and if ya wanna preload external SWF files from the main SWF file... then I think I saw a tutorial or 2 about that while I was designing my site...
    but me... I just stuck preloaders on every SWF file lol... cause I want each one to be unique and customizable...
    anyways... what you're looking for is the loadMovie command...
    Type in the URL to the movie (I suggest a relative URL and not an absolute URL... cause then it'll work on ya hard drive no matter where ya move it... or no matter what server ya move the file structure to...)
    the loadMovie command is what I "think" you're looking for...

darnit it didn't count my reply again...

darnit... it didn't count my reply again...this server must be lagged with traffic great... oh wells... best wishes with my advice...
    if that's not what ya want then just reply again...
    -Sipheed

Thank you Sliphead for youre help on this but I must say I don't understand anything here.
    I'll try to be more detailed !
    This is my site:
    www.ptt.yu/korisnici/e/l/electro
    As you can see this is an electronics site. I'm makeing it for polytechnical college in Subotica Yu.
    Now! I want to have a button on the opening page for all those students who want to have this swf on computers. By clicking on it they would start a download. Maybe it would be best if this download file is ziped. What do you think?

oh... well

Well... so you want to distribute the actual SWF file this time...
    not load it on the fly... something they can download and access offline...
    well... do you want it for windows and macintosh? or just windows users...
    If ya want it for both... then I suggesst you create an extra SWF file with a load movie command in it and pack it up in a projector for windows...
    and if it's a mac user then they could just click on the direct SWF file and not the EXE file... cause Apple QuickTime on the macintosh and windows can read SWF files... but QuickTime comes standard on Macintosh computers... and yep... if you're going to do this... zip it up...
    I got to get offline now I guess... *adds ya to my forum contacts list* I'll catch ya later... my phoneline is disconnected and my mom is about to get home... (I'm only 16... my Bday is June 1, 1986)
    anyways... my phoneline got disconnect 2 days ago and she hasn't payed the bill yet... oh wells it'll get payed soon lol... I'll catch ya later...

P.S. I'm also job searching irl (in real life) so dont think I'm a irresponsible type person lol... it'll be my first job and it's becoming hard to find... when I say hard to find... I mean a job that I would WANT to do... cause I definitely cant stand boring places like the grocery store...