A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Stoopid Javascript Question

Stoopid Javascript Question

Okay,

This one is for anybody who knows Javascript - cuz admittedly, I don't .

I have a button in my flash projector file that needs to open/launch an external QuickTime movie file in it's own window.

Somebody once suggested I simply use getURL - but I don;t want to open any browsers or anything. I just want the .mov file to open by itself.

I'm assuming Javascript is the key.

If anybody can share their knowledge I would greatly appreciate it!
    Keep in mind the QuickTime is not written as an .exe file and is not part of an .exe file. It's just a regular .mov file. (I was thinking of launching an executable file from flash...but don't think that would apply here...right?)

Thanks!

Originally posted by Wheels
    Then you want to use QuickTime. Live Stage Pro is one of the programs that can help you build this. www.totallyhip.com also check out iShell.

I guess I'm confused.

I already have a QuickTime movie...Eight minutes, edited in my Avid, encoded in Cleaner 5, plays great on my CPU, plays great on a CD. That and the QT already has a stylized look I created using the Flash tracks currently available in Quicktime. My interactive buttons look and work great.

I know I can call the Quicktime by using "getURL" assigned to a button in my flash movie. The problem is it launches a browser by default before launching the Quicktime. The Quicktime plays fine...but I'd rather the user not have to close an extra window before going back to the CD experience.

Do I really need to buy more 3rd party software to make this work? Is there any Javascript or actionscript code that I can manually write into the coding process that will open the file in a restricted window space? Like the size of the quicktime file I am playing back? Ex. 320x240?

I DO appreciate the help BTW...just want to make sure I have exhausted all options before throwing money at this.

Thanks!

Well, your asking for a JS popup (which is a browser supported language) without a browser. What you need is a way to launch the QT player while your in Projector mode (lauching anything while in Projector can get messy real quick).

My suggestion would be to find a way to launch the QT player. When you request a .mov you are asking the machine to decide what program to use to suppurt the mime type, for most machines this will be the QT plugin, not the player. Apple suggests changing the extension to .qtl, then having another script that tells the machine what to do with it, In your case, launch the QT Player. You should take a look at the Standalone forum for a solution to this issue. There is also full documentation at www.apple.com/quicktime/

Thanks for setting me straight Wheels!

Definitely appreciate the help. Eventually I will understand all of this stuff. Right now I think my knowledge lagging behind my creative push, but it will catch up.

Thanks again!