dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: help with band logo

Hybrid View

help with band logo

Hi All!

I am in a band called The Jericho Project, and I am just starting to build our new website. I need to come up with some sort of a logo, but I'm a little lost at where to start. So far, all we're using is this:

I like it. It's simple and catchy, but it's just text. I'd like to come up with some sort of graphic "icon" or whatever to compliment the current text, or stand alone.

Any ideas? I'm not looking for someone to do the work (unless somebody just feels especially generous today), just ideas.

Thanks!
    --Josh

well, what i usually do when i have a graphic to make and have no idea is : take pen & paper and write down what the words im looking at make me think of...

for example, in your logo, Jericho makes me think of : Indians, a Name (duh)...

from there, i would try to make something "Indian style", or something that represent a Name, a person (a face for example)... hummm... maybe an Indian face... if what i draw is relevant (fits the Band music style or something) and nicely made, i keep !

if its a blues/jazz/brass band, maybe the J could be a Saxophone, and the P a trumpet... maybe 6 tinny horizontal lines that would represent guitar strings... hummm... you're playing techno style, maybe draw a suitcase (with a futurist look) with the name written on it or something...

Thanks for the input.

The band is an eclectic rock trio (guitar, bass, and drums) of sorts with influences in classic rock, blues, and jazz. If anything, we'd like to go with a fairly modern look. I really like the liquid alien logo (www.liquidalien.com), though, I'm sure our logo will look nothing like it.

The word Jericho is taken from the name of the Biblical city... (Joshua Ch. 6)

Any more ideas? I'm still at a standstill...

Thanks!
    --Josh

Mr

I suggest trying different fonts...
    an icon is good too..
    i wouldnt go too futuristic and modern if the music you play is based in "older" genres..
    maybe just take the word "the", make it smaller, ans put in on the top left side of the "jericho project".
    strangely enough, this will make your band name more memorable since the key words would be emphasised.

as far as an icon goes, figure out how to incorporate it within the text somehow...

i.e.

the dot in the letter "I"
    or maybe just dots in the middle of the letters "O".

of course the "dot" could be any shape...

I'd start by finding a more suitable font...
    remember, a band can only change their logo every few eons, so make sure you take your time and find something you like....and will like 2 years from now...

good luck!!!

agree with prev. poster, futuristic would'nt be a good idea i think, like said, you play "older" genre music, and the name of your band was taken in an "old book"... and, you can add that most jazz-listeners are 35+ years old...

Thanks for the input... I'll play with it.

As for the style, while it is based on older genres, we are bringing it into a more modern atmosphere with effects and that sort of thing--hence the modern font. That was actually on purpose, but I may have overdone it a bit.

I did alot of research, and most of the bands I've found had logos which were just text... kinda dissapointing, but maybe I should take a hint.

Wish I could think of a good icon to go with it though. Incorporating it sounds good, but again, I'm at a loss.

More suggestions would be very welcome... maybe someone will have a stroke of genius that will be just the thing.

Thanks so much!
    --Josh

I have done Logo work for many Sony recording artist's.
    I have worked with 311,No Doubt, and NOFX..................
    You seem to want an image that is a little futuristic, relating
    to the band's name. I have some idea's. If interested contact
    me via my site url below.
    Thanks-Chris

http://www.eggheadstudio.com/
    eggheadstudio.com...version 2.0...coming soon

Isn't there also the "Horns of Jericho"? That could be another theme to use in a logo... I believe the German's put sirens on the bottom of their Stuka dive bombers in WW2 to scare the bejesus outta whoever the were diving on - it's a very distinctive sound, and apparently quite frightening to those on the ground. The sirens were refered to as "the horns of Jericho", iirc.

So either a horn or a diving Stuka (replete with SFX) *might* be an idea. Just a thought - hope it helps.

-Steve