A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: We're just learning MX... please help us!

FK Addict

We're just learning MX... please help us!

Well, this transition from Flash 5 to MX has been a bit rougher than I thought it was going to be! We've got a few questions & hope someone can answer them. (btw... we use Macs with OS X 10.2)

1. The command+F12 "preview" only seems to work part of the time. Yesterday it worked & today it brings up a blank browser page. Other days it didn't work at all! Once it opened up Dreamweaver when I pressed command+F12... what's up?

2. We've got a huge font list on our computers and they've all come up in our other programs (ie Photoshop, Illustrator...), but they're not showing up on the Flash MX font list. This is a bit of a problem for us as a design company!

3. Personally, I've just got to say that I really miss being able to simply "Delete" frames I don't want. Why do they leave big empty blank frames there, rather than bumping them down the timeline?

Its been rough, but I hope someone can help us, because it seems there should be plenty of benefits once we initially get through the basics!

I'm not a mac user, but I might be able to clarify some things.
    When you choose file you have 'Publish settings', 'publish preview' and publish, the commands to use are next to them. In flash 5 the 'publish preview' used to be only F12, now it is Ctrl + F12. So command + F12 should work on a mac. If you go through file > publish preview you can choose between the options you set in 'publish settings'.
    You can't simply delete the frames with the delete button. This will only delete the content of that frame. If you want to delete the entire frame in the timeline, use Shift + F5.

FK Addict
    Thank you for the shift+F5 command (thanks sofiebel)- although I'm going to miss simply deleting frames! (I'm going to miss a lot of the keyboard shortcuts that they've changed!)

All I can say about previewing in the browser is that its working today, with the command+F12 shortcut. All of my publish settings seem to be correct, so I don't think that's the problem there. Maybe we just have possessed computers - it is Halloween!

*We're still having problems with fonts, though! Any OS X 10.2 users that could help us?

Dreams in Actionscript
    I'm a 10.1 user, and the reason I Still am, is because as far as I know, Macromedia hasn't released an official supported version for OSX 10.2 thats where some of your bugs may be coming from.

I have been using MX in 10.1.5 for months with no problems.. And until macromedia says "Okay, you can use Flash MX on Jag without it breaking!" I am comfortable right here..

But, you may want to check what your default browser settings are set to, that may be causing problems with the CTRL+F12.

As far as Fonts go, it all depends on what Font management program you are using, and if you are using postscript fonts etc...

Hopes that this helps even a little bit.

Cheers!

Icon.
    (Insert Witty Remark Here)

FK Addict
    any other ideas on our font problem? os x 10.2 has its own "font organizer" in the system, so that's what we've been using. we used to use atm in os 9, but... yeah, they're not upgrading... any help?

afaik, your fonts have to be in /library/fonts folder.