A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Aliased text?

Question

Does anybody know if there is a way to avoid the anti-aliasing of text AND maintaining cross-platform compability?
    What I want is a (automatically updated) text field that you can actually read (like in the tutorial at www.virtual-fx.net/loadtextfile.htm and not blurred by the anti-aliasing.
    I know this can be done by turning off the font inculsion in the text fields properties, but I understand that this is going to result in problems with machines without the font installed - like using Verdana and viewing it on a Mac. (Pope mentioned that a few threads below, but is there any solution?)

[This message has been edited by Vroomfondel (edited 01 April 2000).]

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Cool

This is the best I could find. Right off the Flash Help page. I see a solution but it may not be exactly what you want. I hope this will help. Regards, Bill

You can use Type 1 PostScript® fonts, TrueType®, and bitmap fonts in your Flash movies. Flash exports type
    to your final movie with all its system information intact. Type you create while authoring on one platform may
    not appear properly on other platforms; moreover, your audience must have the type's font installed for it to
    display properly, even on the same platform.

You can avoid these potential conflicts by using special fonts in Flash called device fonts. Flash includes three
    device fonts named _sans, _serif, and _typewriter. When you set type in these fonts, the Flash Player uses
    whatever font on the local computer that most closely resembles the device font. Device fonts are particularly
    useful for text fields, for large blocks of type where you may not want anti-aliasing, and for making the
    published movie smaller because no outlines are needed. Breaking apart type to convert characters to shapes
    also eliminates potential conflicts, but it does increase file size. See Reshaping type.

Not all fonts displayed in Flash can be exported with a movie. A good way to tell whether or not a font will export
    properly is to turn on View > Antialias Text. If the type remains jagged, then Flash does not recognize that
    font's outline and will not export the text.

For additional text-handling capabilities, manipulate text in FreeHand and export it as a SWF file.

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.
    <EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000100.swf" quality=high WIDTH=375 HEIGHT=75 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>