A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Fonts fill in. (Flash MX)

Fonts fill in. (Flash MX)

Hello. I've been having a problem with some of the fonts I've been putting my movies lately. When I type in certain letters, and then preview the movie, they fill in. One of these letters is the letter "A", when I preview the scene, the top where it should be hollow fills in with the font color. Basically it happens to every letter with an interior space, such as D, R, P, O, A etc... I have reinstalled Flash, thinking it could be a software problem, but it still happens. Any insight anyone can offer is greatly welcomed.

--Andrew
    ---Trmbne2000@hotmail.com
    Last edited by Trmbne2000; 11-01-2002 at 07:56 PM.
    <---Trmbne2000@hotmail.com--->

The font that you're using wasn't optimized for use in Flash. You need pixel fonts that were specifically designed to work within Flash.

I am using a pixel font, it's called PixelSix10, it came as a group with another font called PixelSix14. And I am using it at the correct point size of 10... I forget where I got it from, but it works on the editing stage. But then in the preview window and in the actual SWF that is published I get the fill in. Is there anything else that could be causing the poroblem, like a checkbox clicked somewhere?

--Andrew

As far as I know, filled fonts are an indication of the fact that the font was not developed for Flash. I don't know that specific font, however, there's nothing that can be done to remove this. Alternatively, you can try making a GIF image out of this font and then use it in Flash.

Ok, thanks a bunch.

--Andrew

The PixelSix10 that I found (at www.dafont.com ) is designed to be used at 8 point for all variations, not at 10 or 14 point (this is true of many pixel fonts that produce letters of different sizes, the font is still to be set at 8 point in Flash). Even at 8 point the font is not perfectly clear, so I would say it is not a well-made pixel font, so if you need to use this, FFF's suggestion of making an image is your only route.

Cheers,

Flick

something I read

Hey, I think this might help, but I'm not sure. I read somewhere that any font that is not _sans, ect..., will not work unless on an integer of x and y. Example: say your font is "EraserDust" and it is located at 15.56(x) and 74.34(y), it will be filled in and look bad. But if it is on 16(x) and 74(y), it will show up good.

I hope this helps, but I haven't played around with it yet.

Re: something I read

Originally posted by fasterslacker
    Hey, I think this might help, but I'm not sure. I read somewhere that any font that is not _sans, ect..., will not work unless on an integer of x and y. Example: say your font is "EraserDust" and it is located at 15.56(x) and 74.34(y), it will be filled in and look bad. But if it is on 16(x) and 74(y), it will show up good.

I hope this helps, but I haven't played around with it yet.
    If your font is a pixel font then this is one of the rules that you need to follow. If your font is not a pixel font than you do not need to place it on integral coordinates. If you want to know more about using pixel fonts there are dozens of threads on the matter in this forum and you can also check out the FFF User's Guide at http://www.fontsforflash.com/guide/FFF_User_Guide.pdf and the FAQ at http://www.fontsforflash.com/

Cheers,

Flick

this happens, as far as i know, 'cause these fonts where not designed for flash.

but i found a way around this, so far it has worked for me.

open freehand and type your text there in the right font size, and in the right coordinates, then press ctrl+shift+p to convert it to curves, then press ctrl+c to copy and in flash ctrl+v to paste, make sure you paste them in the right coordinates .0, they look blurry but when you export it they look crispy.

the only problem is to update the site, it's too much work, and to use dynamic or input fields.