A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Questions on getting your car painted...

Questions on getting your car painted...

Well, the car's almost ready, just a tad bit more body work to get it ready to go in for the paint job... Problem is though, how much does this cost?... I've seen advertisments for $300 paint jobs ( poor quailty... that's like ghetto economy paint jobbing, lol)... and then I heard it can be up to $5000? What the "F" word!?...

Question- Who has had their car painted and how much has it cost?

Oh... and incase you were wondering, this is what my baby will look like: (this is the color it used to be, but this one isn't mine.)

(image copyright : classicponycars.com - it's a car for sale)

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

- Genesis F5 (Genesis MX)
    Last edited by Genesis F5; 11-01-2002 at 11:16 PM.

The Minister of No Crap

This won't answer your question, but its damn funny.

My parents would tell me about this car painting company in Texas that gave a great deal on painting cars. They would do any vehicle for $99.95. And their moto was "If you didn't want the windows painted, you should have rolled them down."

Good luck on the car.

-scott

lol!... I wouldn't doubt it...

- thanks for the laugh -

- Genesis f5 (genesis mx)

It really all depends. Do you need any body work? Is the paint really bad on it now? is it the same color? do you want to paint the door jams and the engine bay? what kinda of paint? clearcoat? there are alot of questions involved...
    ..JCESS..

my next door neighboor got the 199$ ambasador paintjob from Macoo (sp?) and it was pretty decent for the price, I think with a car like that, just spend the extra money and get high quality stuff

JCess2002- I'm not really sure about clear coating... I know it has to do with something for buffing and is that what gives the car it's gloss?...

In addition, the Bricklin is a very unique car in the fact that it's body is put into sections, and the body panels are made of acrylic with the paint embedded into them. There's a specific term that doesn't come to mind, I think it is something like impigmented or something, panel pieces.

The only thing that needs done is paint, and yes, when I have it done, I want to paint door jams as well, and anything else that originally would have been orange. I'll leave the engine bay to a later date when I take out the engine for an overhaul on that. I want the paint to be the same color/gloss as in the picture of the example car, but I'm thinking of obtaining the original color code used, as the only color options available for the Bricklin were Safety Green, White, Red(Orange),Suntan, and something else I can't remember... I think blue, yellow, and black were the only colors that wern't offered.

-Thanks for any help that can be offered, and help supplied as of the present time.

-genesis f5 (genesis mx)
    Last edited by Genesis F5; 11-02-2002 at 12:27 AM.

This is how you do it for under $50

Go out to your local hardware store.

Purchase 10 cans of spray paint.

Leave the spraypaint next to your car- park it out on the street.

In the morning your car will be painted

You can even speed the process by painting paint me on the doors!!!

Seriously, take it to a shop or chain.

$199 is about right for a cheapee $1500-$2000 done right...

seriously, with a car like that get it done right

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    scott - if memory serves, it was Earl Scheib, the guy from Texas who would paint cars for $99.95.

alty29 - I think it's Maaco you're thinking of, and they weren't bad, evidently, for a cheapy place- though I remember that my first car (a Saab 900 GLE, just for the record) was not 'eligible' for their 'discount' rate, plus they bump the price with any dings, dents and scratches.

Genesis F5 - if you're Bricklin has paint 'impregnated' into the plastic body panels, I can only say DO NOT paint that car (unless you want to spend a sack of cash - make that two or three sacks of cash). The panels will not hold the paint right, it will look like crap. That's the whole point behind the plastic panel theory (think Fiero, think Smart, etc) - if you don't like the color or you have body damage, you get new panels, not a paint job.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Hurricaneone- ... lol, it's a little late now... The whole car's been stripped and sanded, because in fact, it had been painted previously over top of the original acrylic panels. Thanks for reminding me of that word.

I think I'm going to call around today if any autobody shops are even open on the weekend.

Also, what exactly is the clear coating process meant to do? I've read it has something to do with protecting the paint and what not. Is that what also gives it the glossy appearence?

-thanks for any help offered so far. Really appreciate it !

-genesis f5 (genesis mx)
    Last edited by Genesis F5; 11-02-2002 at 03:48 PM.

erm just wondering....

What car is this. cause it looks stunning.......

are you gonna give it a special paint job( airbrushing) or just a regular one tone coat???
    Cannot comprehend this site still exists

It's a Bricklin SV-1 (Safety Vehicle 1). They aren't very well known. Only a few thousand were made until the company went bankrupt. I'm going to go with the original color (single tone), which is by technical/Bricklin terms, "Safety Red", which is really a red/orange. The Bricklin was designed as a safety vechicle and was meant to compete against the corvettes. They only came in a few colors, which were impregnated into the acrylic panel pieces. The main features of the car include pneumatic gull wing doors, standard roll cage, and a 5 mph bumper. The engine is a Ford V-8 351 FMX AUTO, with a dual single exaust.

sad thing is that everyone fell in love with the Deloreans stainless steel body, but never knew of the Bricklins. Delorean's a big widened knock off of a Bricklin, with a different body comp, and the Bricklin has better visual appeal, especially with that long front end holding that massive V-8.!!

img © 2002 classicponycars.com/images/field11.jpg (car for sale)

- Genesis f5 (genesis mx)
    Last edited by Genesis F5; 11-02-2002 at 04:55 PM.

if it's impregnated acrylic quarterpanels, what not... won't you have to either replace them to restore their original colour, or will you have to find a method that will allow you to paint over the existing pieces, without damaging them?

in other words... it's gonna be expensive, you think?

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Well, not knowing what to think, is my real problem. I've never repainted a car before, and I'm not sure how things are done. Yes, to replace the original color, I would have to find panels impregnated with "Safety Red"(Red/Orange), or find out the color code used on the original pieces to use for mixing paint, or at least come up with a very close match.

Why is it that s would cost more to paint over acrylic pieces, rather then say, fiberglass, or the conventional metal bodied car?

Anyone know about clear coating? Still unsure about that...

Thanks for the help offered so far.

-genesis f5 (genesis mx)

impregnated acrlic is like plastic, if they did not finish it with a clear coat. therefore, it will most likely be porous, and the surface most likely to accept paint.

however, you will have to find a paint that will bond with the acrylic pieces. it's not like they can sand it down easily/evenly like you would metal.

then again.

I could be totally wrong. just a thought after painting model cars with lexan bodies, and the shells being more of a pain when colored via pigments than anything else.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

The Minister of No Crap

Originally posted by hurricaneone
    scott - if memory serves, it was Earl Scheib, the guy from Texas who would paint cars for $99.95.
    Ha! You're memory does serve right. I called my dad and that is the guys name.

Small world.

-scott

Maybe my problem to no responses lies in asking about acrylic panels.

What does painting a "NORMAL" car (metal bodied), with highest quality painting usually run?- My guesstimate is around $2-5 thousand.

And does anyone have any clue what clear coating is? I am going to call the autobody shop tomorrow and see if they can answer any of my questions, but I was hoping maybe some of you knew the answers to any of them...

lol, NO EARL!...

Again, thanks for any help offered. VERY much appreciated.

-genesis f5 (genesis mx)

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Hi Genesis f5

Clearcoat is an acrylic or clear plastic final coat, added over the paint as a protective sealant. I'm not sure if it actually bonds with the paint surface, but it's supposed to protect the sheen, lustre, etc of your paint job if it's exposed to nasty stuff like too much sun, dust, dirt, bird crap etc.

Thing is, I know that it's pretty much standadrd on all new cars now, but I don't remember if it's a factory-only thing. Quite possibly, a respray shop will not offer clearcoating as an option - I imagine that the equipment you need to do it right is not cheap.

It's a shame to hear that your panels have already been sanded and reshot. I'm guessing that they had to be sanded to give the panels some texture for the paint to adhere to, but any decent, reputable bodyman in the business should've have been straight and said that respraying plastic panels is an expensive waste of time.

I think (and again, this is just based in my general knowledge of cars) that the best you can do is get all that paint removed as best you can from the panels and then go from there, trying maybe to get them reconditioned. That might end up being impossible, but I wish you the best of luck. As a one-off pseudo-exotic, the Bricklin is certainly a colector's piece - without the respray, that is.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting