A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: pricing for cd development

pricing for cd development

Hi.
    I meeting with the HR dept of a local hospital in my area that needs CD-ROM's developed to be used for employee recruiting. It'll have a lot of video, probably a quiz. I'll do it in Director 8.5.
    My question is what do you thing I should charge? Hourly? A lump sum?
    Should I take care of the duplication?

Any thoughts are welcome

jason
    www.konceptualeyes.com
    Jason

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    price for the whole job, not by the hour.

Director 8,5 will make the job nice and simple. Its powerpoint on steriods !!!

we find cd work the most profitable.

on the duplicacion side depends how many copies they wont.

i have an inkjet cd printer,works great, make extra money personalizing the cds.

best of luck

It all depends on the length of the project. If you are doing a series, and you are not in the learning stages, then charge by the hour, your time is important and based on a 2080 hour work year. If it is a small set of CDs then do a lump sum at a reasonable price, they will come back to you for more!

cd roms can definitely be big money makers

be aggressive, yet reasonable.. it's always about perceived value, remember that..

also my suggestion (since everyone has one ) is to be sure and use flash for all your complex animations and import for use in director.

good luck, let us know how it goes
    Last edited by chrisd9; 11-04-2002 at 09:33 PM.

my opinion is if you can aviod complex animations, but if you must, yes do em in flash director is hell at that.

ok, guys. Just met with the representative today.
    It's to be a cd-rom with about 5 minutes of video, and roughly the same amount of professional voice overs. I found a freelance Videographer that'll do the shoot I need for $250/hr. Should be about 2 hours. So thats $500 right there. The duplication fees are going to be about $1300-1500. For the audio production, not sure, but guessing somewhere around $400-500.
    Boom. Already at $2500 roughly and I haven't even designed a shred of interface or coded a single line.
    If this takes me a month and a half to complete, I need to charge something that is fair to the customer, but also helps me out, afterall, I do this to make money!
    So, going by what I just announced, anyone got any ideas as to what I should charge to do this???
    Thanks
    Jason

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar
    Your gonna hate this answer, but I'm afraid it's all your gonna get....

Charge enough to cover costs and make sure it includes an amount equal to what you feel your work and time is worth.

[edit]for the sake of not misleading anyone, I am editing the vague price I posted. It was not a suggested price, just an obvious totaling of the costs posted here.[/edit]

A packaged project with 1000 cds, video, voiceovers and animation would run any respectable business upwards of $XXXX.
    Don't sell yourself short. Your price estimates are right on the money so far.. make sure you include your time/overhead/profit.
    Last edited by JabezStone; 11-05-2002 at 10:20 PM.

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar
    ok I lied... you did get a better answer... it's just an answer that I thought we were unable to give here at fk for fear of antitrust implications.

Originally posted by serpent star
    ok I lied... you did get a better answer... it's just an answer that I thought we were unable to give here at fk for fear of antitrust implications.
    yeah, those implications are scary! Although I wouldn't consider my post to be too specific, I edited it anyway so I wouldn't offend anyone... I know I've edit people's posts before for similar things, and it wouldn't be fair.

A simple search on Google for companies doing this type of work will show some posted prices for similar packages. I don't post prices on my site, but many places do.

-Jay

We did a cd 8 cm very small presentation and for our 10 days work (including weekends adn long long hours) we charged 12,000 euros, about 12,000 dollars.

Hope this is not considered price fixing, just informing what we have charged.

Also charged as low as 3,000 bucks for a cd card presentation. In these prices duplicacion, cds, silk screening, ect are not included. I am talking about what I have charged for our work.

If you are any good with Director and lingo you can get one of these things done very fast. Do the menu in flash.

in the last 6 months we have done 5 cds, people like them.

hello again.
    OK. To be completly honest, the ambiguity that is so thick in this room is frustrating. *Not trying to be an arrogant jerk here, just looking for some advice, and very much do appreciate everyone that takes the time out to look at my post*
    I've conducted a simple search in Google. That search turned into an exhaustive goose chase and just made me go to the bar and have a few drinks *too many* ok, joke there.....
    Anyway, antitrust deals with "prohibiting business practices that unreasonably deprive consumers of the benefits of competition, resulting in higher prices for inferior products and services."
    This isn't even a bonafide B2B site, is it? Not sure.
    The reason I'm even extending this nag of a post is simply that I'm starting out in this industry, and although I'm very confident I can follow thru on this CD-ROM, I just plain don't know what a decent pricing scale would be...........and I do want to undercut my competition to get this gig.
    OK, nuff said.
    Jason
    Jason

Ok, sorry ODDDOG, didn't see that your post was the first on the second page, and I just replied to the posts on the first page. Thanks for the numbers you gave! That's really what I needed.
    Thanks again to everyone that replied, I appreciate the input.

Humbly yours, Jason
    Jason

Hi Jason,

We charge about 5000 Euro for the Computer based training we make. It took us close to 9 months to make with three people. Since we will sell this many times we can keep the price pretty low. Even we think that 5000 is to much but our marketing department has the final say, not me.

Hope this helps.......

to be straight forward

we got 4500 for a 4 section "digital business card" with a short intro, custom voice overs, and fairly deep content... that is a large amount of pictures and sub sections.

100 cds is what we will be producing for the initial agreement

another suggestion

also...

look into the possibility of doing some website work, etc for this company... be sure to benefit as much as possible from the price you request, whether that be getting as much monetarily as possible, or coming a little lower in an attempt to strengthen a relationship and continue with a website contract...

good luck again, let us know how it goes