A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Combining two editable meshes

Combining two editable meshes

Hi,

I have created a editable Mesh to model a character. I devided it in 2 parts, deleted one of them and used a mirrored instance copy of the other half to finish the character. I have assigned a MeshSmooth modifier on the edit.mesh and now, as I´m finished, I can´t put the two halfs back together!? The only idea I had, was to weld the vertices, but I can´t even attach the two meshes together. And I think, even if I would weld them, there will still be an outline running through my character. Anyone a better idea?

its hard for me to understand just what your talking about, so i will try to answer it the way i think your saying

to me you are saying you have a character, but it is split into 2 halves, and now your trying to put the 2 halves together in the middle to make 1 character? no?

well instead of trying to connect them (which is possible with compounds>>boolean>>union)

instead why not select one of the halves then put the mirror modifier on it, and instead of leaving it one side, select the copy check box in the mirror options, then move the mirror center around till you align both sides perfectly, and its still considered to be one mesh not 2 being put together
    Chaos= Religion+Humanity

THX

thx,

i chose the "boolean way"! Worked perfectly, no mote borderline in the middle after rendering!

thx again! (and my respect for understanding what i wrote!)

character modelling

But is my way to modell a character difficult? I once read, that it would be good, to simply start modelling one half, having an instance copy representing the other side, and combining them in the end! So you only have to build one side of a face for example! Is there an easier way to build a symetric modell?? I´m new to 3d modelling, and I dont want to get used to do it the worst way, although it seems, that everyone has his own way!?

3d modeling is something done the way the person knows best...everything can usually be done in multiple ways, the one you know the best is the way you would do it
    Chaos= Religion+Humanity