A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash 5 Vs. MX

Big Boi

Flash 5 Vs. MX

It has been more than 6 months since MX was introduced, so i want to ask you designers, how much work for your clients did you do in MX?? and how much in F5.
    I can say that i didnt do anything for clients in MX.

why flash 5?

I haven't touched F5 since MX came out
    Last edited by enpstudios; 11-04-2002 at 12:04 PM.

Ryan Kallok: Kallok Studios kallok's Avatar
    I got flash mx the 1st week it came out, haven't touched 5 since. And for people who still use 4, I feel sorry for you.
    PRINT | WEB | MULTIMEDIA DESIGN
    Ryan Kallok Kallok Studios: KS3 |Toxic Avenger

Big Boi
    what about player?? arent you conserned that many viewers wont be able te see your pages?

yep, but that happens constantly.. there's always updates to download.. i mean i don't continue to use windows2000 because i'm not used to xp... people will just have to update.

in fact, the average user doesn't know about this kind of upgrades from version 5 to 6, so i think they'd appreciate if someone tells them where to download it.

half as fun, double the price senocular's Avatar
    I have MX but still use 5. Nothing Ive been doing with Flash requires MX so if I dont need it Im not going to use it. Besides I hate having to use this so much

Flash 5 has like a 90-95% impression and MX just reached 60%.

Also a lot of the people I know are still stuck with 5 so anything I do Id like to be able to share with them as well.

Goooold Member!
    I just got MX and I have to say that the features it adds are excellent and I'll never use 5 again.

About peolpe not being able to view your MX work. If they're so damn lazy that they can't take the time to go to the flash site and download the player for FREE then they don't deserve to view my work anyway.

I'm not giving up my dynamic text formating and on-the-fly drawing just so they can save some time not having to download the new player.

half as fun, double the price senocular's Avatar
    ...but not everyone has the privilages to install new software/pluggins on the computer they're using too.

It's always the quiet ones.. Progressgoesboink's Avatar
    I work in MX, but if I can I export in 5, I usually do. easier for other people to view generally speaking, and I normally don't use a ton of the Flash 6 functions anyway.

I've had the problem that senocular has pointed out. I tried to test one of my sites on a college campus (where permissions on general computers are restricted tightly). I tried to get the 6 player for an Imac and couldn't install it because of lack of privelages.

In light of that, the one thing that would be really cool is that if Macromedia had an "automatic" install much like they do when NO player is installed on a system. Meaning a popup window prompting for a plugin install and download which is then done automatically by a remote installer. There should be a way for them to update older players to current ones in the same manner, right? I wish they did it that way, it would make things a lot easier for us developers. I've had users have situations where they clicked the "get the player" links on one of my sites and they couldn't access the download or sometimes even the site. To circumvent that, I've downloaded players for both windows and the mac and put them on my own website's server. I've made a lot of people happy in the process. I'll update the links when newer versions of the player come out of course.
    I aspire to be the flashiest flash that ever flashed a Flash!

Senocular:

Originally posted by senocular
    I have MX but still use 5. Nothing Ive been doing with Flash requires MX so if I dont need it Im not going to use it. Besides I hate having to use this so much

You don't have to use this so much. I don't use Flash 5 anymore, but if I remember correctly, you still shouldn't have to use it much. For example:

Code:
    onClipEvent(enterFrame) {
       // instead of this._y = _parent.someOtherMC._y, use:
       _y = _parent.someOtherMC._y

// or this.myVariable = this._y to:
      myVariable = _y

// all mean the same thing...unfortunately, in for loop references, you still have to use:
      this["someName" + i]._y = _y

//or

this["someVarName" + i] = _y
    }
    You can still MEAN "this", and not type it.

... gimme just one more line of code to ease the pain.

http://www.ln.tv
    http://www.davevillano.com
    http://www.premierloftsdenver.com
    http://www.backyard.cc -- coming soon!