A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: how do they do this!?

Hybrid View

how do they do this!?

how do they do the drop-down navigation menu on www.tombraider.com
    (check the United States site)

on the top of the page they have the drop-down menu... i can never get this to work. how do they do this
    please help!

Thanks
    ~Lorenzo

well to save time wut u can do is go to search and type in drop down menu and ther r many sites with examples similar to that. all u have to do is download one of them and study it. i hope this helps.
    well if u cant find any let me know i will send the links for them.

here's a tutorial link to a generic dropdown menu. hope it's what your looking for

http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/In...-200/index.php
    Evolve Designs Interactive Media
    the natural selection

but that one's different... the one you linked me to you have to CLICK to open the menu and CLICK to close it! i'd like it like in the website, when where you hover over it opens, and when you move the mouse out of the actual menu, it disappears... ther'es gotta be a way to do taht.

anyone? please?

basically you make a movie clip and on the first frame put your button. put on mouseover gotandstop frame2 on the button. on frame 2 make the menu under the button. just make sure to make the final state of the button the same size as the menu so when you put your rollout command the menu stays open until the mouse goes beyond your menu. Then put the whole movie clip on your main timeline and BAM! Dropdown menu.

that probably makes no sense.. but that's how i did it.. if you check out my site you'll see what i mean. you have to click my buttons to open but i used a rollout to close them.
    the natural selection

Another way of approaching it would be to make each menu (with sub menus) as a movie clip, name the instance, put a basic acceleration (movement) script in the clip (smartclip) and then have invisible buttons over the area you want to have activate them.

then depending on how you programmed your little action script, have the onRollover give the clip its new coordinate (either x or y depending on the situation)

and finally have the onRollout return the clip to the initial coordinate.

dont forget to onDragOut and onDragOver, just so that the little action scripting doesnt screw up.

sKtd_ne

i don't get it... could one of you send me an example please? i'm pretty desperate to find out

preferably as close as possible to the tombraider.com website one, but make it simple... i can always edit it

That evolve designs one looks good, but i don't know how to do it still i know it involves actionscript, which i'm new to

here's an example. excuse the ugliness.. hehe

saved to flash5 just in case
    the natural selection

awesome!

you're a genius! thanks!!!!! much appreciated

Sleepy

except for...

the fact that your 1st button's hit area prevents the user from being able to do any actions on the buttons below it...
    Uh...where's my underwear?

if you take the action from the first button and apply it to the second buttons and then remove the hit statem on the first button...maybe move the second buttons closer... or make them connected... then it will work just as well
    Attached Files Attached Files
    What is that?

Sleepy

fair enough...

you're right ... LOL
    Uh...where's my underwear?