dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: fonts used in text areas that call external html files . . .

fonts used in text areas that call external html files . . .

I did this site for a client in Mexico City:
    http://www.jaguarwoman.com/client/accenture/index.html

They requested that I create text areas that call extrnal txt files they could edit in Notepad. Which I did.

The problem is that they cannot seem to get the accent and little squiggly mark over the "N" when they try to edit text in NotePad.

I don't even know if it is possible to specify a language or specific symbols/accents in the format of these txt files that go in the text areas.

When she tries to edit the copy . . . it comes out without the Spanish accents over the "i" and "n".

Any ideas about how I can do with with scrolling text areas and txt files . . . in Spanish?
    Dana Jaguarwoman
    http://www.jaguarwoman.com

Banned
    Try adding the following on the first frame of your movie:

System.UseCodePage=true;

You ca nalso enter the Unicode character in "raw"...

A small e with accent would be "\u00E9"...
    Cordially,
    Abelius
    www.worldkit.com

Well, thanks for answering . . . the client figured out another fix herself . . . now there are three explanations, none of which I understand.

I don't have a clue what this means or how it works:

Try adding the following on the first frame of your movie:

System.UseCodePage=true;

And since I don't know what UNicode or "raw" means, or where \u00E9 would go . . . so that requires another little research project.

One of the great baffling tricks of the universe is to ask a question about Flash and provide enough information so that it can be answered AND how to answer the questions without creating the need for further research in order to understand the answer.

You guys have been very helpful . . . but I still don't understand what's involved in making sure that fonts with specific charactes will show up in external text files that are loaded in a scrolling text area.

There must be something written somewhere that explains how this works in Flash MX. Because the blind ADD THIS approach creates more stumbling around for me.

Fortunately, the client figured it out . . . and gave me an explanation similar to yours.

Isn't this to be found somewhere in some manual or book? I mean . . . a full explanation of how it works and why?

Dana
    jaguarwoman.com
    Dana Jaguarwoman
    http://www.jaguarwoman.com