Okay, the goal is to have a movie load variables and create a fading news ticker from the data...

Root timeline has MC called marqueeMC, which has an onClipEvent(data) handler that makes sure the result is okay before playing the movie.

marqueeMC has loadVariables("data.txt", this) on it, and when the data is loaded, goes to another frame that has an empty MC called canvasMC, an empty MC called controllerMC and this code on the frame...

canvasMC._visible = false;
for (count = 0; count < itemCount; count++){
// Attach an item MC
canvasMC.attachMovie("itemMC", "item" add count, count);
// Set x and y for MC
canvasMC["item" add count]._x = 0;
canvasMC["item" add count]._y = 0;
// Set item variables inside the MC's inside each item
canvasMC["item" add count].titleMC.title = this["item" add count add "Title"];
canvasMC["item" add count].textMC.text = this["item" add count add "Text"];
// Stop this MC at stopped frame
canvasMC["item" add count].gotoAndStop("stopped");
}
// Tell controller how many MC's there are
controllerMC.itemCount = itemCount;
controllerMC.gotoAndPlay("looper");
canvasMC._visible = true;
stop();

The controllerMC has this code on the frame labeled "looper":
if (this.count >= itemCount){
count = 0;
}
_parent.canvasMC["item" add count].gotoAndPlay("fadeIn");

then on frame 60 of controllerMC is this code:
_parent.canvasMC["item" add count].gotoAndPlay("fadeOut");
count++;
gotoAndPlay("looper");

itemMC is in the library, it has two MC's inside it, titleMC and textMC, which have dynamic text boxes title and text, respectively. itemMC also has frames labeled "fadeIn" and "fadeOut" which do just what they say.

FINALLY, HERE IS THE PROBLEM....

When running this movie, all the data loads fine, the MCs are created fine...but the controller can't seem to control the itemMC's. When the movie is run, the item MCs just stack up there at 0,0 and are always visible. controllerMC seems to be un-able to tell them to go to fadeIn or fadeOut.

I know it's messy, I don't really expect anyone to get an answer for me lickity-split...just trying to get as much help as I can because it's frustrating me.

TIA...