A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Using A Target with load movie

Ok. I'm trying to load one of my SWFX generated swf files into a movie. Well, loading it is no problem. It works just like I expect. However, manipulating it once it is loaded is another matter. I tried creating a movie within my movie to target for replacement. Supposedly, it can be replaced with the SWFX swf and retain all it's properties such as it's alpha or tweens. Apparantly, I'm doing something wrong. It loads the movie but doesn't retain any of the characteristics of the movie it replaces.

Can anyone clue me in on what I may be doing wrong?

Regards,
    Greybro

Another Question

I followed your instructions and am still getting fouled up. I have a few question that would perhaps clarify things for me.

When I create an empty movie clip within my movie (I've called it "empty" and target it, am I to refer to it as "empty" for example or as "empty.swf", even though it's just a symbol. It doesn't seem to allow and tweening.

Ok, should I be loading targeting the movie "empty" from the main timeline or from within empty? I've tried it both ways by the way and can't make the target function work

There's no tween in this example, but it does show how to use Tell Target with an empty movie clip.

Check this out:

http://www.wildswfx.com/help/SWFX_load_help.zip

Then, read these threads:

http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...threadid=31658
    http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...threadid=31277
    http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...threadid=34062

Then, if you haven't answered your question, post more specifically your concern.

You refer to the movie clip as "empty" not "empty.swf". I wouldn't try to give the load command from within "empty". In the example in the .zip above, the "empty" is totally empty, and there are load commands on the main timeline, and in sub-tier buttons.

best of luck,

r

Clarification

I've followed the manual and created a movie clip within my main movie. I then placed an action to load the external movie I want to bring in and control. I tell it to target my all ready existing file called empty. However, unlesss give it a level it won't load. In other words, I can't seem to get it to target the movie called empty.

Does this give you any ideas as to what I've missed?

Regards,
    Greybro

Hang Tight

I'm looking over your examples. Hopefully, I can follow this and not waste anymore of your time. Thanks for the files dude

Greybro

Got It

Hey,

Ok Dude. I got it with your help. Thanks. But, oddly, my actions looked just like yours. i'm thinking it was working but the whole right corner location cause me not to see the movie. Thanks again dude.

Regards,
    Greybro

Another Question

Hey,

I disected both right down to the final frames. The only difference between mine and yours was that your referenced your empty movie as "empty movie" and I referenced mine as "empty" . Ah, you know what it was? It was the doggone instance name which I apparently confused with label.

Doh! Thanks for your help mate.

Regards,
    Greybro

That happens so often. Also, the inclusion of an extra "/", or classifying a string as an expression cause more headaches than I care to think about.

Glad you got it.

r