A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Need some serious help with this one...??

Need some serious help with this one...??

I was being helped on another board in regards to making a sliding menu like the one seen on this page, where the menu scrolls when you mouse over the arrows. Now someone over there was nice enough to help me through most of it and even included an .fla file so I could work with that.

I got everything working ok, but the problem is...I made it in Flash MX and I need to export it as Flash 5 (so I can use it in Director). When I try to export it as Flash 5 I get this message

WARNING: This movie uses features that are not supported in the Flash 5 player
    Scene=Scene 1, Layer=buttons, Frame=1: Flash MX Button Instance Name
    Scene=Scene 1, Layer=buttons, Frame=1: Flash MX Button Instance Name

Is there a way for me to use different "features" that are supported in Flash 5 that would still do the same thing?

Is there anyone out there that can help me.........PLEASE?!?!

Here is the original .fla file...when you try to export it as Flash 5 you get the WARNING message I stated earlier.

sliding menu

Thanks in advance!

From my memory of Flash 5, I think you use variable names instead of instance names. You should really post this in the General section.

Furry
    Code:
      hobby = webDesign; waitYears(3);
      job = webDesign; this.love(job);

I figured out that I needed to get rid of the instance names and it saves fine as Flash 5 now, but when I import it into Director the scroll action doesn't work.

Any idea's?

just a thought

i think that this is an issue that you ned to take up with people who know Director. I've never seen that type of functionality used in Director... you never know it may not be able to be done... Have you seen it done before??? if so, where? i'd like to know and it might be a good idea to try and contact them to see what issues, if any, that they had getting it to work.

Tom

Well I've never seen this actual thing used in Director before but I've seen and used other Flash movies in Director without any problems, but for some reason this one doesn't work.

I've asked questions on Macromedia's Director message board before and it always takes so long to get a response (if any response at all) so I thought I would ask here in hopes that some of you guys/gals could help me out.

Button Names

I haven't downloaded your movie but my guess is this.

If you are using instance names on your buttons it is likely you are refering to these buttons in some piece of actionscript. By removing there names the script can no longer refer to them.

I used to do a lot of scripting in flash 4. ( I skipped 5 all together ). The way I used to control buttons back then was to put them inside a normal movie clip and give that an instance name. The button will still work but you will also be able to control ( it position I guess ) via action script.

Go to each button with a instance name, select, press f8, select movie clip then give that movie the buttons name. Then edit in place each button and check the action script on it. You are likely to need to add '_parent.' in front of any functions called, properties set and any variables declared.

Doing all this will give you the flash mx functionality of buttons with instance names. Hope that helps.

Cris.

Not my field but isn't there someway to export a flash movie to swf but still allow it to be broken back down into its layers etc?

could this function be used at all?

SFilter