A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: key.isDown + wmode problem

key.isDown + wmode problem

hi,

I was having trouble with this function i made, which is run from a button release. the function starts with:

if(Key.isDown(Key.SHIFT) && contentOpen==false) { ...

The code ran smoothly with no errors while it had been tested under test movie and flash standalone players, but I found out that it does not work when it is played from the web browser..

So then I checked if the problem came from the shift key by changing the Key.SHIFT to something else but it seemed that there were no key press activities detected at all!

I was frustrated with this problem and tried many different ways to solve this, made test movies and stuff, it all seemed all right with other swfs and embed source from which had been published from flash, so finally I found out that the trouble all came from the embed source that I have been using.. and soon I found out it was the 'wmode' parameter that caused the problem. The wmode was set to 'opaque' which I have set because this mode was much faster then 'window'. (I don't quite understand why this came to be, since the help document in Flash clearly says that the fastest mode is 'window' =|).

And here is the fun part: under 'opaque' mode, the keystrokes are not detected from the browser directly, but it does when the browser itself is not activated! I found this out while I was talking to a friend via messanger, then I saw that the shift strokes were being detected from the browser in the background. Pretty weird..

So finally, here are my questions..

1/ Is 'window' mode being more slow than 'opaque' mode something that is normal?
    2/ Is there a way to make shift+mouseclick work properlly under 'opaque' mode?

any comments and helps will be deeply appreciated,
    thanks in advance!
    Last edited by sPiNKs; 11-08-2002 at 06:04 AM.