A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: propod.com - Fi + 2a

hrmmm, sounds like bashing to me, funny how envy turns into hatred.

anyhow heres something funny.

----- Original Message -----
    To: *
    Sent: Monday, November 11, 2002 10:50 AM
    Subject: RE: INFO: Contact Requested

> A website
    >
    > -----Original Message-----
    > Wrom: EX
    > Sent: Monday, November 11, 2002 5:39 AM
    > To: info@2advanced.com
    > Subject: INFO: Contact Requested
    >
    >
    > Name: Juxtaman
    > Company:
    > Phone:
    > E-mail: *
    > Request/Comments: What's www.propod.com?
    >

Hheheheh, didn't work!

Big gulps huh?
    just to clarify a minor point in this now heated debate, i am merely a messenger and none of those were my own words...i just copied what i saw in interviews for some of us here who might not have read them, yet wish to contribute something to the thread....

Originally posted by gdstudios
    Mar1boro, if you think about it, really, preloading is only a temporary solution for the larger problem. Even though we have preloaders to pass the time, optimally, we would want content to come up as soon as humanly possible without the user waiting for it at all. This is what would make this new feature so valuable, if, in fact, this is what they are doing.
    Preloaders are actually bad design. Making anyone wait for content is bad design. It's nothing to do with being a "temorary solution".
    (unles you want to call it a temporary solution for pre-broadband, but that's about the delivery mechanism, not the technology used)

What they are most likely doing is simply planning a site, or a methodology, that has much smarter preloading of content. Let's face it's, there's no magic - if you gotta load a 5mb video file, you've gotta load a 5 mb video file. The dumb way to do it is to have a little loading bar that counts down the time/percentage. The smart way to do it, well, a variety of ways, from not giving them the selection until it's loaded, to breaking the file down into seperate parts..etc.

Whatever, I'm sure there's many more smart solutions. The bottom line is, if you have x MB of content, you have x MB of content. What Propod sounds like is a very good marketing exercise. I mean, seems like some of you guys are solved on this "magic solution" before it's even released, and you're supposecd to know a little about Flash and the Internet. Imagine how easy it'll be to sell to non-Internet literate clients!

Go the 2A/FI marketing departments, and good luck to them if it works! Half the job is being able to walk the walk and talk the talk, and they can certainly do that.
    Last edited by TheOriginalFlashDavo; 11-11-2002 at 09:09 PM.
    Michezo Youth Initiative - donate | Into Kenya | Naked Chronicles | Mark Bingham - my friend, America's hero

To help new members fit into Flashkit, three rules they forgot to tell you on signup: Rule #1: Learn Group Think, and behave accordingly | Rule #2: Do as certain Mods say, not as they do. | Rule #3: If you're from outside the US, don't at any time criticise, allude or hyperlink to criticism of the US or any of their laws, policies or practices. | Enjoy your time at Flashkit!

Originally posted by TheOriginalFlashDavo
    Preloaders are actually bad design. Making anyone wait for content is bad design. It's nothing to do with being a "temorary solution".
    (unles you want to call it a temporary solution for pre-broadband, but that's about the delivery mechanism, not the technology used)

What they are most likely doing is simply planning a site, or a methodology, that has much smarter preloading of content. Let's face it's, there's no magic - if you gotta load a 5mb video file, you've gotta load a 5 mb video file. The dumb way to do it is to have a little loading bar that counts down the time/percentage. The smart way to do it, well, a variety of ways, from not giving them the selection until it's loaded, to breaking the file down into seperate parts..etc.

Whatever, I'm sure there's many more smart solutions. The bottom line is, if you have x MB of content, you have x MB of content. What Propod sounds like is a very good marketing exercise. I mean, seems like some of you guys are solved on this "magic solution" before it's even released, and you're supposecd to know a little about Flash and the Internet. Imagine how easy it'll be to sell to non-Internet literate clients!

Go the 2A/FI marketing departments, and good luck to them if it works! Half the job is being able to walk the walk and talk the talk, and they can certainly do that.
    man nicely written, it sounds like an editorial, lol, even comes to a nice lil end in which i feel satisfied and completed. good writing, and good points.

~Äurora

"I am Jack's complete lack of surprise"

yup..davo always has somethin interestin to say!, nice
    "Be quiet, Brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip" -Homer
    "Whos your daddy and what does he do?" -Arnold S.

true preloaders are not the best thing, especially when they are loading huge things. but then again, i would say a 5mb site is bad design. I shouldn't need 5megs to get the info. sure, it might be pretty, but id rather get info than see some 3d animations. yes, it would be much better if things appear only when loaded, and fragmenting it all up, but theres one problem i have with that. If Im visiting such sites, it would mean I probably have broadband and a nice pc. this would likely mean im also multitasking. perhaps im downloading several other files as well. Now if something starts loading, without me knowing it, it will cut into my other tasks bandwith. This especially sucks if in the end, I never even wanted to see or get around to that 5 meg section of the site. Id rather wait for it to preload, than waste bandwidth loading stuff i potentially don't want.

ultimately, the best information design would be no loading, and getting info across clearly, efficiently, and if possible with some style and jazz (note that should be last priority).

theres no bashing here, but in truth the only things that will "revolutionize web design" would be either the general integration of broadband, or developing some crazy compression alogorithms to suck some size out of video files, not "smart" preloaders.

and ill say again as has been said b4 by some others now. 7 megs is 7 megs. nothing you can do about that!

does anyone from 2A belong to flashkit and actually read this stuff?
    seems like a huge marketing opportunity considering all they did was post a blank page on a site and they generated all this interest.
    Can't wait until they actually want to sell something...
    You can't have everything...where would you put it?

Originally posted by TheOriginalFlashDavo

Well said. You explained what I meant by temporary solution. My main point was that it is bad for a client to have to wait for any content. Propod seems like it may be a way around that. I was feeling uncreative with my writing earlier, so I guess it came off incorrectly. I like all the other points in your post.

To restate everything I already said (and end the argument)

It is a colab project, not a formed design company

No matter what, if you put 2A and FI together, file size will be huge

It is a colab project, not a formed design company
    No matter what, if you put 2A and FI together, file size will be huge
    hahahahahahahahaha

*sigh* crazy people... I kept laughing while I was reading through the whole thread.

But for some intangible reason, I stopped laughing.

Weird... 2ADV and FI...

it's the end of the world...
    Veniogenesis
    Flash Kit Moderator . Duke University
    Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology

Passionate about 2A pixelranger's Avatar
    This isn't about a pre-loader. I can tell you that.

Shane
    www.pixelranger.com

Ya. I also noticed the Propod engine in FI's FireStormPC site.
    I wonder what it does....

propods "engine"?
    engine?
    Last edited by No-Tec; 11-17-2002 at 11:59 PM.
    maybe.

Originally posted by No-Tec
    proods "engine"?
    engine?
    Ya. It's that "brain" thing they were talking about earlier in this thread. But I have no idea what it does.

i see. thanks.
    maybe.

Originally posted by nerv_03
    hahahahahahahahaha
    Yes, I was refering to the fact that their making a project....not a formed design company (*******)

Think before you post Alty. Not smart.

I wonder ...
    since most people by this date SHOULD be used to seeing preloaders on sites, it isn't THAT big a deal unless you're trying to look at WhosWe.com on a 56k modem.

Preloaders are part of a lot of media. Flash on the web has the slowest, but you have to wait for a preloader on your DVD player.

What they're proposing here is LIKE a DVD preloading program. Hopefully, it'll make flash content function more like DVD than it does right now.

-kc
    www.aoed-studio.com

Originally posted by villain2
    I wonder ...
    since most people by this date SHOULD be used to seeing preloaders on sites, it isn't THAT big a deal unless you're trying to look at WhosWe.com on a 56k modem.

Preloaders are part of a lot of media. Flash on the web has the slowest, but you have to wait for a preloader on your DVD player.
    Used to it? If you're talking about Flash developers and so forth, yes because we wait to see what a site loks like.

If you're talking about those that have come to a site to access information - which is what any commercial site should be aimed for - they get sick of a preloader very quickly. There is much truth in the claim that if you a user has to wait more than 10 seconds they're outa there.

Again, preloaders are very much bad design. There are ways to work around them if you have the know how and skill. It's not so much technical skills, but useability and site architecture skills - something which you don't learn from a box.

Just because people use preloaders and you're happy to put up with them doesn't mean the majority of the audience are. I'm still very much of the belief that if you keep 'em waiting you're going to lose a sizable proportion.
    Michezo Youth Initiative - donate | Into Kenya | Naked Chronicles | Mark Bingham - my friend, America's hero

To help new members fit into Flashkit, three rules they forgot to tell you on signup: Rule #1: Learn Group Think, and behave accordingly | Rule #2: Do as certain Mods say, not as they do. | Rule #3: If you're from outside the US, don't at any time criticise, allude or hyperlink to criticism of the US or any of their laws, policies or practices. | Enjoy your time at Flashkit!