A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: propod.com - Fi + 2a

Passionate about 2A pixelranger's Avatar
    Propod.com is not about FI's brain or loading solution. It has nothing to do with a preloader or using that technology which they have developed.

Shane
    www.pixelranger.com

I just put up a "editorial" on my own site about this preloader issue.

People who surf the web aren't as stupid as we may think. Why do you think all major motion picture companies use flash. People who've surfed the net for a while know what to expect. If they don't want to deal with flash and preloaders, they'll look at an html version instead of the flash version of the site.

www.aoed-studio.com

hint hint
    buy www.doporp.com before propod gets it.
    Man this is still freaky ohhwell
    I can only postulate the probability of performing at a paramount level of perfection praised by the pulchritudinous paragon whose only practice is to preserve such a paradigm.

One day you'll understand...
    www.propod.com
    Keep digging. You are close to the answers.

FK's Official Cricket Eater. ViperGeckoFreak's Avatar
    as far as i can see, this isnt about what your gonna find in the design. i think its a little deeper than that.
    <-- was lost..

Propod is not just going to be a site that will hack into the users mind and recreate the inner most dreams and desires.
    They will slice the web apart and redirect your minds to the influential abilities of the human mind. Designers "will" be influenced to turn off there norton antivirus and blame all uncutful worries on the viruses while feeling insecure about there future and going to bed late at night with cold toes and a tear in there eye.

Respectfully yours,
    Mike
    I can only postulate the probability of performing at a paramount level of perfection praised by the pulchritudinous paragon whose only practice is to preserve such a paradigm.

What a cool thread. Two awesome media companies, a mystery, senseless gossip, COUNT ME IN! First off, that propod poster is a total fake, the only official word I'm trusting right now is shane. Shane has said a few times now that aparently the smart loading thing is a fairly insignificant part of the project. I think the two companies want to showcase their skills, and present something cool for the design comunity and that will be the purpose of this site. It seems like its just going to be a creative/ developement ground for these two high calibre companies. You guys are way off persuing this 'mind reading' thing, me thinks.

perhaps this thread should be in the lounge now, cuz although v interesting, its only a POTENTIALLY cool site. the actual propod.com is really just the two logos. not really cool. nothing really at all.

but keep the conversation going in there

Originally posted by propod
    One day you'll understand...

Is this really a member of the Propod team or a fake. How will we know this is really you?

We can't tell you now guys. But I assure you its none of the preloading stuff. It's a surprise!

www.propod.com

riiiiiiiiiight

David Martin
    Originally posted by propod
    We can't tell you now guys. But I assure you its none of the preloading stuff. It's a surprise!

?
    David Martin
    FI

Oh wowwy... The CEO of Fantasy Interaces and somone by the name of Propod have reacted to this thread! Seems that Pixelranger also knows what's going on....

When will 2ADV come too?

Cheers!
    Venio
    Flash Kit Moderator . Duke University
    Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology

Originally posted by Fantasy Interfaces
    ?
    Very interesting post...
    Flash Kit Moderator . Duke University
    Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology

Originally posted by Fantasy Interfaces
    ?
    Thats a start, you don't know me but I do!
    www.propod.com

Originally posted by villain2
    I just put up a "editorial" on my own site about this preloader issue.

People who surf the web aren't as stupid as we may think. Why do you think all major motion picture companies use flash. People who've surfed the net for a while know what to expect. If they don't want to deal with flash and preloaders, they'll look at an html version instead of the flash version of the site.
    "People who surf the web aren't as stupid as we may think"

I actually give them more credit than most, which is why I won't insult them with a pointless "loading" animation when it can be avoided - which is most of the time.

"People who've surfed the net for a while know what to expect"

Umm, maybe you should check with some of the research companies out there. Most web users are not "experienced users" as such. Yes, they know how to browse around, but things like plugins and downloads..etc, they don't have much idea. Who do you think opens those email attachments that contain viruses? The average Joe Public who really knows nothing about computers and who is our target audience.

Unfortunately, the overuse of bloated sites with pointless animations and audio is why it has taken so long for Flash to be taken seriously as an application program, which it is very, very good for. A bit like when animated GIFs first came out, they were used everywhere for every possible reason. Slowly, slowly we are seeing more intelligent use of Flash - but that does not include...

...loading... loading... loading... loading... loading... loading... loading... loading... loading... loading... loading... loading... loading... loading... loading... loading... loading... loading... loading... loading... loading... loading... ad naseum

The use of Flash by the "major motion picture companies" is so the small tip of the iceberg for what Flash is and could be used for. Hopefully those that matter realise there's a lot more to Flash than annoying loading screens - and they are slowly.

Maybe you should check your site figures and see how many actually sit through your loading screen (if you have one) or just leave the site. Industry-wide it is a significant number where it occurs, hence why smart use avoids that unless absolutely unavoidable for a specific type of functionality.

Yes, there's a time and place for using Flash, and even using large Flash files, but there are also many, many examples of bad design which could have been implemented in a much more intelligent way by someone with a little more understanding of useability and user preferences.

Realise that loading screens are a workaround, the simplest kind there is for a large Flash file. The more sophisticated the solution is to avoid this workaround the more effective the site and the more pleasing experience for a user - which is the bottom line basically, at least for commercially driven sites.

If you still don't think it's a significant issue, just think for a moment what this thread is about - it's about a much-hyped solutuion that has been developed by two major web development companies to avoid this very thing.

Thinking?
    Michezo Youth Initiative - donate | Into Kenya | Naked Chronicles | Mark Bingham - my friend, America's hero

To help new members fit into Flashkit, three rules they forgot to tell you on signup: Rule #1: Learn Group Think, and behave accordingly | Rule #2: Do as certain Mods say, not as they do. | Rule #3: If you're from outside the US, don't at any time criticise, allude or hyperlink to criticism of the US or any of their laws, policies or practices. | Enjoy your time at Flashkit!

Yeah, it's pretty simple actually. You load part of the page, give them something else to read and/or look at while the rest of the page is loading.

I don't suggest every page should be flash, but broadband is coming along and it won't be much of a big deal in a few years anyway, so why worry about it.

Most people who make this kind of argument are people who DON'T know how to make great animations and think that websites should be more like Library MicroFiche instead of actual interactive experiences.

The internet is somewhere between tv and print, utilizing aspects of both. It shouldn't be totally eyecandy, but it shouldn't be totally JUST THE FACTS too with all that can be done with it.

Originally posted by villain2

I don't suggest every page should be flash, but broadband is coming along and it won't be much of a big deal in a few years anyway, so why worry about it.
    Sounds a lot like the "build it and they will come.... and make you lot's of money" hype of a few years back about the Internet in general - which didn't eventuate of course...

Clients want - need - return on investment in the short term. The days of building for some eventual Internet revolution where everyone will have fast access and everyone will do everything via the Internet are gone. In its place is a situation where businesses' want to know that what they spend their money on is effective and delivers what they require - now.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Flash - in all its uses - but it has a bad rep in many areas for a reason, and it's those who recognise this and start using it with a little more intelligence that will really help to bring it to the next level - that what excites me about the software!
    Michezo Youth Initiative - donate | Into Kenya | Naked Chronicles | Mark Bingham - my friend, America's hero

To help new members fit into Flashkit, three rules they forgot to tell you on signup: Rule #1: Learn Group Think, and behave accordingly | Rule #2: Do as certain Mods say, not as they do. | Rule #3: If you're from outside the US, don't at any time criticise, allude or hyperlink to criticism of the US or any of their laws, policies or practices. | Enjoy your time at Flashkit!

just a bump to see how many replies this thread can get,

ggwhhahahah
    maybe.

YO a little evidence to the puzzle?

I went to media temple and i did a dotcom search on Propod.com

http://www.mediatemple.net/cgi-bin/d...okup/lookup.pl

and I came up with this information..so we know they are at least working together, so it's not fake

Registrant:
    Fantasy Interfaces AB
    Nygrand 10
    PO BOX 2258
    Stockholm, Stockholm 10316
    SE

Domain Name: PROPOD.COM

Administrative Contact:
    Martin, David david@fantasyinterfaces.com
    Nygrand 10
    PO BOX 2258
    Stockholm, Stockholm 10316
    SE
    0046 706877879

Technical Contact:
    e-magine, Inc., e-magine, Inc. admin@discountdomainregistry.com
    3009 Bedford Ave
    Brooklyn, NY 11210
    US
    (801) 991-5540
    Fax: (801) 991-5540

Registration Service Provider:
    The Discount Domain Registry - Register your domain for only $14.99!, support@discountdomainregistry.com
    http://DiscountDomainRegistry.com

Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.
    Record last updated on 06-Nov-2002.
    Record expires on 03-Jun-2004.
    Record Created on 03-Jun-2001.

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS1.2ADVANCED.COM 12.106.77.31
    NS2.2ADVANCED.COM 12.106.77.32

The Data in the Tucows Registrar WHOIS database is provided to you by Tucows
    for information purposes only, and may be used to assist you in obtaining
    information about or related to a domain name's registration record.

Tucows makes this information available "as is," and does not guarantee its
    accuracy.

By submitting a WHOIS query, you agree that you will use this data only for
    lawful purposes and that, under no circumstances will you use this data to:
    a) allow, enable, or otherwise support the transmission by e-mail,
    telephone, or facsimile of mass, unsolicited, commercial advertising or
    solicitations to entities other than the data recipient's own existing
    customers; or (b) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes that
    send queries or data to the systems of any Registry Operator or
    ICANN-Accredited registrar, except as reasonably necessary to register
    domain names or modify existing registrations.

The compilation, repackaging, dissemination or other use of this Data is
    expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Tucows.

Tucows reserves the right to terminate your access to the Tucows WHOIS
    database in its sole discretion, including without limitation, for excessive
    querying of the WHOIS database or for failure to otherwise abide by this
    policy.

Tucows reserves the right to modify these terms at any time.

By submitting this query, you agree to abide by these terms.

NOTE: THE WHOIS DATABASE IS A CONTACT DATABASE ONLY. LACK OF A DOMAIN
    RECORD DOES NOT SIGNIFY DOMAIN AVAILABILITY.