dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Need to track stats of a CD

Need to track stats of a CD

I have seen this before on FK but cant find it now. I need to be able to tell the client when a person views their CD as well as any other "nice" information such a program could provide. Can you help me locate this?

Spyware? Thats not real polite. But I imagine you can use Swf Studio (www.northcode.com)for that. It has a feature where you can send emails from projectors silenty. You could also write a server side script and send the variables from the projector to it. But in either case you will have to worry about firewalls asking the user for access or out right blobking them.
    lesley paone
    www.aritali.com

yeah, i dont think that is exactly what I am looking for.

Really don't necessarily need to know the actual person who is looking at the CD but more like how many people looked at it and when. For example, we did a CD project and 300,000 copies were distributed. It would have been nice to tell the client that out of 300,000 CDs, 40% for example were viewed within the first 5 days, of those 10% viewed the CD more than once.

There has to be something like this. My webserver tells me all kinds of stuff. But I dont want to necessarily launch a web browser....although, i guess I could do a pop up ( that opens behind the presentation ) and says something like: We appreciate your looking at the .... This could tell me when it was looked at, the IP address, domains, resolutions, OS, etc.

Anyway, back to my original question. Anyone else?

When you send variables to or from a web server it doesn't load a pop up, it only transfers the variables. But if you use a program like Swf Studio you can send more detailed information like the registered owner of the computer and stuff like that. Or you can find a the guid of the computer and send that and see how many you get, it would be a good way of figuring out how many computers the cd have been played on. I'm sure people will share them.
    lesley paone
    www.aritali.com

NO SPYWARE

You should ask your client to consider asking for the user's permission to send the info. Pop up a window informing them exactly what you will be sending, show the data, offer them a copy of the email, tell them what you'll be doing with the info, etc.

In this way you will piss off less people and while you may not get as complete a response you will still likely get enough to get a good feel for the CD's usage.

For maximum response I recommend you present them with three choices (the wording of these would need to be improved,

1) Allow app to send the requested info
    2) Do not allow app to send requested info but allow it to send the response that no info was allowed to be sent
    3) Do not allow it to send anything at all

If you go the SPYWARE route you run the risk of seriously damaging your client's reputation and they will likely blame you because you are their expert in these matters. Many companies have firewalls installed that will catch your SPYWARE anyway and when they do, it will not be perceived positively. On the other hand, if you pop up your permission request BEFORE the firewall catches it you have a much greater chance of being allowed to send your info.

And a final point even though it might be obvious. Do what you say you are going to do. If they say "no" then DON"T SEND ANY OF THEIR INFO. And if you say you won't provide their info to a 3rd party then don't give away or sell their info no matter what.

The more experience I have with SPYWARE the more I feel permission is not only the ehtical way to go but the smart business strategy as well!

Am I missing something? SPYWARE? I just want to know when the cd is played. Who cares who plays it. I dont want to directly market them. I just want to tell the client that the CD was viewed on such and such day, at this hour, and that computer had MS XP as the OS, 1024x768 resolution, etc....the same stuff my web server tells me about people who visit my sites. This isnt SPYWARE.

I posted a somewhat similar post dealing with the popup/popbehind method mentioned earlier: http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...7&goto=newpost

I think there are tons of ways to do what you are asking.. The problem is doing it in a way that won't piss off your customers. You can do it invisibly (except to those that are running firewalls) or up front. I prefer the upfront method. By that I mean to have some sort of a logon screen that lets them enter their name and tells them what is happening.. ie.. an email is being sent, or connection to the web.

Maybe, the solution for you is to have an exit screen that gives the customer a chance to ask a product question, or comment on how they felt about the cd. That may be your best bet. Then just send an email (assuming they are online).
    Jim Booth

AGAIN, i dont want to send an email. I want to know when the CD was played. I can go to my webserver and see that 50 people ( hits ) visited our site from 10am - 11am on November 18. It also tells me that 95% had an IE browser. That is all I care about.

if you are going to be deploying flash, on a cdrom, and in a browser, you can use ASP or other scripts to link to a database (or flat file) while on line. MX will allow you to get the screen resolution. To get the browser, you will need to have javascript determine what browser you are using and pass the varible to flash. At least that is my first thought on how to do it. There are a number of tuts on "counters" and other ways to count hits! I should think that is all you need.
    Jim Booth

Originally posted by MajorTom
    Am I missing something? SPYWARE? I just want to know when the cd is played. Who cares who plays it. I dont want to directly market them. I just want to tell the client that the CD was viewed on such and such day, at this hour, and that computer had MS XP as the OS, 1024x768 resolution, etc....the same stuff my web server tells me about people who visit my sites. This isnt SPYWARE.
    Oh yes it is!

Anytime you collect info from people without their being aware of it it is SPYING. And, most people do not like it.

Me visiting your web site and being logged is MUCH DIFFERENT than you secreting info off my local computer over the net without my knowledge. I pay for my internet channel, my computer, etc. And you are not entitled to use any part of it for whatever purpose unless you ask my permission! Just because you can do something technically does not mean you should.

If this is no big deal why not simply ask people for their permission? I think I know why you don't want to ask. It's because many will say "no".

As I said before, you are doing your client (and ultimately yourself) a disservice if you do not fully explain the possible consequences of being identified on the net as someone who will plant SPYWARE and monitor users.

To Anyone Concerned With or Annoyed About SPYWARE:
    Install a good firewall (we use Norton) and then you will get a warning each time one of these "harmless" little programs tries to phone home. Norton lets me block these communications as they occur or permanently by application.

No, you are wrong. I want to know when the CD is viewed. If I put a copy of the website on the CD and the website had statcounter.com or someother hit tracking JS in the HTML code would this be SPYWARE just because it is now on a CD when if it was on the Internet it wouldn't be SPYWARE? This is silly.

For the third and last time. I dont want it to send me an email from the persons email without them knowing. I don't even care to pull any information from their computer. All I want to do is be able to say to the client that out of 100,000 cds they sent out, 25,000 of them were looked at. I can do this by simply opening up an html file from within the exe and since that html file resides on a webserver, the webserver will tell me that that page had a "hit" on Wednesday at 12:00. BUT, I wanted to do this without having to annoy the user with a pop up html file.

1a2b3c4d: Thank you for your opinion but lets please stay on the subject and the original question rather than the opinions of what is and is not SPYWARE. If you want to debate what is SPYWARE, open up a thread in the Coffee Lounge.

I think I might have found what I am looking for: http://www.apresentationtrakker.com/htm/readme.htm

Glad you found what you were looking for, it does look neat.. But I doubt (99.9% sure) that it will eliminate the problems (firewalls alerting your customers you are passing information to the internet!) addressed by Ci-berpages first reply.
    Jim Booth

Yeah, I think the best thing so far to do is to open up an HTML window that that basically says: "We appreciate you viewing this presentation. Click here to close this...blah blah blah" cuz at least this way the webserver would show the hit information and that page would only be accessed/launched if the CD called it.

Thanks to everyone.

ROI Tracking is available

CyberICard has a product called ROI (Return On Investment) tracking that uses WebTrends stats to trak the CD uses. Cookie technology allows you to track how many times the CD was viewed offline before the user went online.

www.cybericard.com
    While changing my profile, I accidentally clicked the link that said
    "Add 'Dead Rabbit' to your Ignore List"
    so now I can't talk to myself anymore...

The Repository -:- The Forum

"1a2b3c4d: Thank you for your opinion but lets please stay on the subject and the original question rather than the opinions of what is and is not SPYWARE. If you want to debate what is SPYWARE, open up a thread in the Coffee Lounge."

My response WAS on subject thank you very much! What better place to discuss spyware than in the middle of this thread? And, I felt I offered some valid ideas along with a liberal dose of opinion!

In case you're still reading this I thought your idea about popping up an HTML page was a pretty good one because you've logged them before they even close the page and it is an expected result as opposed to a CD that accesses the net.

One thing you might want to check is whether this method will trigger a dialup for your modem-using customers. If so you might want to test for a net connection before popping up the browser window.

If you need any more great ideas I'll be in the coffee lounge!

thank you.

Hey Major Tom,

If you are still around, I would be grateful to know if you managed to track your cd's and how successful it was...

Never really had to figure it out....the client went in a different direction. Tho I think there are some 3-party applications that are basically plug and play these days. Perhaps someone will read this post and respond.