A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Design Collective Uk

Design Collective Uk

Looking to hear from designers and developers in the Midlands UK

I have been talking to a few fellow brummie designer/developers and it has been suggested we form a sort of design collective to share, pass-on work and generally help each other out.

A site maybe set up but that depends on how many people we can find who would be interested in taking part???

If you live in Midlands area and are interested, leave you details here or email me through my site at: www.g-creation.co.uk and I'll give you more details.

Cheers

mullet king
    Hiya gaz

Im up near Durham. I recently set up Design | UK with similar intentions. Maybe we could work out something? Its basically just a forum right now, but I've been planning on turning it round into a whole resource, with tutorials, a smart newsletter, interviews, etc.

I have a few ideas for market niches too.

Just let me know if you wanna talk.

Cheers

-Gray

[edit] I also have the domain www.design-uk.org [/edit]
    Last edited by mx_kid; 11-18-2002 at 06:38 PM.

share? pass on work?

Are you guys so busy that you can't cope with the demand for your design skills?

I apologise for my sarcasm but I have seen hundreds of threads similar to this both in the boardroom and the lounge in the past couple of years and nearly all end in a few emails sent to each other and a private forum set up with less than 5 members who use it briefly.

If any of you above could answer the following questions, I (and other members) would be appreciative and would possibly show more interest:

[list=1][*]What do you hope to achieve as a collective that can not be accomplished alone?[*]Who will be in charge?[*]How will any revenue be shared out?[*]What happens in the case of a dispute, who will mediate such an occurence?[*]What is different about this that makes you think it will succeed where others have failed?[/list=1]

Thankyou

mullet king
    Well I was hoping Design|UK could be more of a resource and forum, with a newsletter. I was wanting people to help get it off the ground and maybe write some articles or tutorials.

Thanks for your input

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar
    I think these things would be a great idea if only there were a glut of work to go around and there was some way to determine professional credability. Then I think with the proper promotion and a large, skilled tallent pool, you just might be able to make a go of it. I personally just go to my favorite forums and seek out active community leaders who seem to value their reputation and back it up with the quality of their work when I need to outsource. I have been extremely satisfied with this approach and so have my clients. But I think there are simply not enough oportunities to develop professional releationships in these small, ragtag groups. Good luck with yours... I hope it isn't a waste of time.

I agree. It started when I needed a good backend developer, and had to give up a job because I couldn't find one.

I have told the other people who wants to start this collective that unless we find the right people, it's not worth doing. There has to be a face to face meeting, that is why I said Midlands based.

Basically I am looking for few good contacts who I can trust and then I can take on the bigger, database driven sites I'm having to give a miss at the moment.

If nothing comes of it, then no one has been hurt

Cheers

>>SubKloda<<
    Gaz,
    That sounds about the best way to go... Look for someone who has more backend development experience (who has a good enough reputation that they're turning down work that you're much more suited to), but not necessarily based in the midlands... You could be giving up an opportunity to develop some good working relationships 'cos they don't live near you (unless all of your clients are based in the midlands)!
    As Mr Bouncer has pointed out, starting a collective right away could be a big mistake unless there's a definite management structure, there's enough work coming in to satisfy everyone in the collective, and you feel you can trust the other people in the collective...

Cheers,
    Andy

Originally posted by RazoRmedia
    share? pass on work?

Are you guys so busy that you can't cope with the demand for your design skills?

I apologise for my sarcasm but I have seen hundreds of threads similar to this both in the boardroom and the lounge in the past couple of years and nearly all end in a few emails sent to each other and a private forum set up with less than 5 members who use it briefly.

Thankyou
    Harsh but very true