A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: ScrollPane craziness....I'm going mad!

ScrollPane craziness....I'm going mad!

Ok, here's the deal:

I'm trying to use this blasted scrollpane component, and I honestly can't figure out where I'm going wrong. It's very, very basic:

1. Have a MC that exporting for AS, called home
    2. This MC contains text fields and some graphics
    3. Setup up the ScrollPane component (in another MC) and have it use the exported MC called home

On preview/publish, the MC does not show up in the pane. I've tried changing the text to dynamic and embedding the fonts, with no luck.

I've also tried placing the ScrollPane on the stage (not inside of it's own MC) with no luck. Also tried it with only a graphics MC I made...no luck.

What the heck is going on here?

I feel like I'm missing the most basic of things....HELP!

hollowplanet

just an ordinary member...

I missed it too...

But it's quite simple. All you have to do if you set up the scrollpane component right (meaning, you're linked correctly to the MC that you will be loading into it) is right-click on the MC in the library (no need to place the MC on the stage or anywhere else,for that matter). Click on 'Linkage'. Select 'Export for Actionscript'. That's it! Now when you export the movie, the MC will load into the scrollpane.

Thanks, but I already *did* all that. Exporting to actionscript (AS) and whatnot...linking it into the ScrollPane.

And it still doesnt' work.

Funny thing is, I have another very similar scrollpane in another FLA that works just fine. I can see *no* differences between the two or how they are setup. Screwy....

Any other suggestions out there?

No one really has any ideas?

*on my knees begging for any thoughts*

It seems so simple, yet it fails so miserably.

Ok I got it working.....I'm not sure of the specifics, but here's the theory:

I went back to a working version, and it stripped it of all the scrollpane components. It seems that when I upgraded into MX from version 5, some of the ActionScript code will make the movieclips hang.

The code affecting the situation seemed to be lines that were like:

_parent._parent.MCXXXX.gotoAndStop("park");

and things of that nature. These were linked to hidden buttons in the MC to be scrolled.

When I linked everything into the ScrollPane, these lines wouldn't work because of the MC heirarchy....

I simply changed the lines to something like:

_level0.MCXXXX.gotoAndStop("park"); etc....

Also, I only reason I figured this out, was that I had rearranged the order of some of the code and a few things started working!! Very strange indeed.

Hope that this helps someone else down the line.....

jonny
    hollowplanet

Hi HollowPlanet ,

you seem to know a few things about the components. I have a question I would hope you could answer.

I have a scrollpane and I want to edit the height of the "actual scrollbar", by that I mean the bar I click and drag. I want to edit it so that it has a fixed height independently from the containing MC.

any help would be great. thanks

Well, I'm not really sure about your request.....since I haven't try to decode the component yet for myself.

However....I do imagine it's possible. You would probably want to do something like the following:

1. Make a duplicate component so you can work with it and not screw anything up
    2. Locate the middle drag bar you are speaking of as a MC, and try to determine it's instance name in the code
    3. Find the code that automatically changes the length of this bar in relation to how much content there is
    4. Set it to a fixed height with the _y scale property

I would guess that you might need to watch out for the max drag areas for the scroll bar, but I'm not sure. Depends on how they coded it in. Give it a shot and see!

If you figure it out, make sure you post it back to the board....

hollowplanet