A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Professional Affordable Web Design

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar

Professional Affordable Web Design

Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

nicely done, looks too corporate for a DESIGN firm in my opinion though... =)

good job !

pretty cool site and compact, I agree with the last poster, the brown buttons color/scheme, and the overall static type nature of it projects more corporate than fresh new design, interfaces, movies or general flare, but then what do I know? I'm not a pro. (that one was for you DontLikeFlash

Thanks for the input. Now check out the site of our only local competition.
    http://www.techworlds.net/
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

Bite Me
    i'm semi local to you ;D

http://www.ionpixel.com

In salt lake

mullet king
    Originally posted by jasonsplace
    Thanks for the input. Now check out the site of our only local competition.
    http://www.techworlds.net/
    That was a bit low

Your site wouldnt load...

mx_kid, Which site wouldn't load?
    michaeijd, I had never seen your company before but I like your site. I had only looked at 2 Salt Lake web design companies as we were starting ours. The Jungle Group and I don't remember the name of the other but both of them had cool sites too.
    Jason L. Wright

nice...

It's a nice site, but I also can't tell wether you are a design firm or a corporate firm.

Also, you may want to get a copywriter's help with the content. Sentences like, "At OWL Web Design we are proud to offer web site development and maintenance services at competitive prices, while continuing to uphold our high standards of quality. You get the best for your buck." are VERY generic.

When you're talking about yourself, don't ever say "we have good quality and low prices" or any other such non-sense. Because EVERYONE says that.

head over to www.estudio.com and look under firm->about us for an example of a REALLY nice about us section.

I'm probably in a similar position as yourself, starting up a new company (mine is not a design firm at all, just programming web applications), and I know some of the mentality....but trust me, either hire someone else to write your promotional material, or go pick up some marketing books (22 Immutable Laws of Marketing, and 22 Immutable Laws of Branding) to get the right start.

Hope this helps, and good luck...

Thanks for the advice. The current text was written by two BYU (Brigham Young University) students. One is an english major, the other in marketing.
    Jason L. Wright

This was copied out of the About Us page.
    "James Orr -He has had five years of extensive school and is currently enrolled at Utah Valley State College and is studying Multimedia Communication. He has lots of experience in the programming languages of JavaScript, HTML, and PHP. He has two years of hand on programming experience with prior job locations. He is very fluent in many languages including Spanish and Portugese."

Is this a joke? 5 years of schooling and James is still in school. Does he have a degree yet or is he going to be a doctor? If you have a degree I suggest you just state your degree.

"Lots of experiance" good description...

I like the part about "hand on programming experiance" An english major wrote this for you? BYU students?

Note to self: Places to never go = BYU

Spanish, Portugese... how about English

I am mean... maybe... but, this site has many many problems. Mostly with the copy, YOU NEED TO PROFF READ!!!!!!!!!!
    The design is a matter of opinion. I think the design needs work. If you used flash utilize it's tools more. Its very static for a flash site. Fill the porfolio section!!! Put in any of your work. Create a mock site to show some of your design skills if you have to. Don't just leave it empty.

Banned
    nice smooth and busy

i liked it alot

Too simple, but not artistic.

Big gulps huh?
    your main page tells the user/potential client to go to your portfolio section and check out work or read testimonials....yet you have no portfolio examples and no testimonials. As a suggestion to help remedy this problem, in your founders section it says that Jason Wright has won many competitions with his work, so why not include some of that work in your portfolio? As for the testimonials, i think you should get rid of that section until you have something to put there, why include a section if it has no content?

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am going to have a few more people (not BYU students). read over the information this week and hopefully get it straightened out. I hate BYU with a passion but those are the only students that I could get to do it. Did I mention that BYU is one of the best schools academically in the western United States. I am going to dig up some of my old "award winning" projects and put them in the portfolio section this week along with a site that we just finished for a client.

Just a side note off of the topic. Some guy actually wanted us to make him a free site.
    Jason L. Wright

I am proud to announce that we have now re-written all of the text on our site along with adding a few samples to the portfolio section (many more to come). Would you please critique my site again? Just click on the banner in my footer.
    Jason L. Wright

bump
    Jason L. Wright