dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Creating Textures?

Hybrid View

Ultimate Loser

Creating Textures?

I know how to do bitmaps material and all... but I am not real sure on how to create diffrent textures... is it the same?...
    www.Super-Saiyan.com
    Flash site is under construction.

Do you mean creating them with Photoshop or creating them within Swift3D with the Material Editor?
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Ultimate Loser
    Using Photoshop... I appreciate any replies
    www.Super-Saiyan.com

It depends on what kind of texture you want to make.

If you want to make something like the label for a CD or a picture in a picture frame, you would simply create that image in Photoshop and then browse to that image using the Material Editor in Swift3D. It would then be a process of playing with the scale settings in the Material Editor and/or adjusting the points in the Extrusion or Lathe Editor. You can also experiment with exporting your image at different sizes from Photoshop to better match the size of your objects if you are having trouble getting the scale settings to size your image correctly.

If you are looking to make a texture that will tile many times across the surface of an object, you can do pretty much whatever you want, but you want to try to get the texture as seamless as possible. An excellent way to check this is to use the Offset filter in Photoshop. It is under Filter>Other>Offset if I remember correctly. Set the horizontal and vertical settings to half that of your image and basically all your corners will be pushed together, if you will, into the center of your image. This will allow you to see how your image will look when it gets tiled in Swift3D. It will also allow you to modify the image so that it will tile better. I don't have any handy links, but if you do a search on the web for seamless textures I'm sure you will find a number of tutorials on the subject.

If you can tell me more specifically what kind of textures you want to create I or someone else might be able to help you out more.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Ultimate Loser
    alright thx alot rush
    www.Super-Saiyan.com