A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Layer Styles

Layer Styles

This is more of a photoshop question, don't know if this is the place for it but I would really appreciate any help.

I'm creating a customized effect on text, and I'm reusing the effect many times, I was wondering if there is a way to create customized Layer Styles in photoshop, I mean, instead of using "outer glow" I want to use, let's say for example, gaussian blur and then color dodge.
    If anybody knows what I'm talking about pls help me out, if anyone knows a place for these kind of question pls let me know.

Any help would be highly appreciated, thanks in advance
    cheers

u can copy effects from one layer to another, so if u have a great effect on layer #2 u can right click on the circle with the f in it select copy, then right click the layer #4 and select paste effects

i dont use effects all that much

mb u could save some effects templates, so when u have a new document u can open the cool effect, right click copy and then paste it into the new doc

hope this solves it

I'm sorry, I maybe didn't explain my problem correctly.

Lets say that we type some text and apply a blur and then a dodge color effect to that layer (very simple exampel).

Now we want to reuse that certain effect on a some other text, but it takes a lot o time and effort to do it.

I don't want to use the layer styles, I just gave an exempel.
    What I want to do is to creata an effect that uses the filters and the "history" in steps.
    For example: I type my text
    1. Gaussian blur.
    2. Color dodge.

That's what I meant by customized Layer Style (it has nothing to do with the Layer Styles in photoshop)

I hope I'm not blurry

Hello,

What you're describing can easily be accomplished using the copy/paste layer styles. I understand what you're getting at, as if having a directory with these custom effects (however, I think any combination of 2 or more effects with a desired result is definatly "custom" so I don't see the need to use the word often) would allow you to select them quickly and apply them.

The only thing that's confusing me is how you don't see pasting layer styles as a quick and logical solution to what you're wanting to do.
    If you create an effect that you like, create a duplicate image from that one, save that effect as a file, and whenever you want to use it just copy and paste that layer into your new image. I see that as a pretty quick way to do what you want, especially considering you can't save "custom" effects in Photoshop.

Wow, that's the first question I answered here in months.

Take Care,

mg33
    The Atlantic Divide My band here in Chicago, USA. || We also exist here on myspace: myspace.com/theatlanticdivide

Hi mg33, or should I say welcome back?

Hehe, either I'm really stupid or can't explain my problem.
    I'm giving it a try again from the scratch with other words.

I've created an effect using photoshop. It has nothing to do with the (f) button in photoshop, by that I mean the "add layer style" button.

This is how I created my effect:
    New document, black background.
    Typed in some text on a new layer
    Made 2 copies of that layer that I blurred and then applied an color dodge effect.

You see it has nothing to do with layer styles...

PS: If it turns out that I'm stupid don't hate me

with the graetest of respect why did u call it in the first post

"create customized Layer Styles in photoshop"

we do try to help ppl but u are wasting our time if u can not describe what u want with some accuracy.

mb i'm harsh sorry if i am

look at actions in ph help section

you're right I'm sorry, I said Layer style because I was relating to that so that ppl could understand better what I was trying to achieve, that's why I said customized. But it only made things worse, sorry.

halleluja

Thanks a lot DontLikeFlash, that was exactly what I was looking for and I got it working, thanks again.