A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Dynamic/Layer Question...

I am working on a very large site that will have very heavy content and 50+pages.

I have used Flash On and Off since v3, but it has been basically just to spice up some regular HTML content.

Here are the problems I am facing and I am looking for some input on how to tackle them:

1) The site uses a pull down menu system.
    Preview it at:
    http://danny.xtn.net/flash/dropdown_menu.swf

Source:
    http://danny.xtn.net/flash/dropdown_menu.fla
    (Note there is an underscore _ between dropdown and menu above)

This was necessary not only for the usability of the pull down menus (which many users are familiar with) but there are as I said earlier going to be at least 50 pages, which will continue to grow. By using a pull down system you can save screen space, but the problem this creates is that you cannot use an upper frame (yes I hate frames too but I need something here or other means because of the drop down showing ON TOP of the content below/rest of the page.

2) Dynamics/Updateable
    What I am trying to avoid is Hard-coding the menu into all 50 pages. So that if I need to add a link I don't have to go in and resize the animation, add the link, fix the hit areas, etc.. and then re-publish everything 50 different times for each page. I need it to look like the menu is hardcoded on each of the 50 pages, but I don't want to update 50 files.

What I am asking for here is a way to:
    Complete the menu in a flash file and then somehow overlay the single file/movie on 50 pages. This way I can go in and make the change in the one movie file and have the whole site updated. The menu can't be shoved in a frame or table above the content movies because it is a pull down.

It also couldn't be put into HTML layers because (as far as I have seen) the flash movie can't be transparent.

Please tell me that using Generator is Not the only way this can be done. If there are links to tutorials/source I would love to take a look at them.

Thanks VERY much on any help that you can give me on this...

Now Danny. I think I have a small solution to your problem. What you say about the HTMl layers, is incorrect. HTML hardcoding is always boring, but you can make the flash movie treansparent.

What you have to do is using the WMODE/--code

Use a parameter of your own choice and add Window Opaque or Transparent like this:

WMODE/--Code
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Optional Parameter Window/Opaque/Transparent

Use the windopw for a normal Flashplayer type window. Use the opaque code to make the movie opaq, and be there hide elements laing behind the movie. Use tranparent for to make the Movie transparent. If you selct no parameter by using the last code Flash will be default choose true.

Hope it helped.

Don't Lick Jesus on a Stick whiteshadowx's Avatar
    Flash backgrounds can be transparent, however only in IE

My suggestion would be to go and hard code the menu itself into the main page, then have it load all the options from a separate text file.

Nothing will be able to travel accross frames unless you put a frame on top of all the other frames.

He's right. If rogot to say it only works with IE. the new IE should be able to do detect it thanks to some new features. IE 4.0 works for sure should you use my example, but Whiteshadowx is right.