A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Player 5 vs. 6 error

Player 5 vs. 6 error

I've been working on a game in Flash 5 which I just brought home with me today for the thanksgiving weekend. I use Flash 5 at home as well, but I have player version 6. In any case, I was running it on player 6 and there was a strange new bug. The game is like sopwith, and you drop bombs in it, and in player 6 each time a bomb is dropped the program starts running much slower. After four bombs are dropped, the rest of them ignore collision detection. To verify that this was just the player, I ran it from within Flash 5, and it worked fine--no slow down, normal collision detection. I'm wondering if there's any known bugs in player 6 that would cause such a problem, and how to get around them. The main methods I use in the collision detection sequence that might be causing the problem are .localToGlobal, point-shape .hitTest, and .removeMovieClip. Thanks for any help that any of you can give me.

-Max Abernethy (max@flecko.net)

what are you using? Mac?

Yes player 6 has lots of bugs... for example... on the mac its 100 times slower than on the PC, that is when you do something like createEmptyMovieClip() and use drawing functions inside of that clip. Do 100 of these createEmptyMovieClip s and draw little squares and even a Mac that we have here... geForce 4 + 1gig ram + dual processors g4 cant handle the simplest... its amazing how fked up Macromedia made the Mac player.

Also, on the Mac functions like getTextExtent return different numbers in the object. On pc it returns number of Pixels but on the Mac some other type of numbers which you have to divide by 4400

Now, that function makes u wonder.. why did macromedia do that? cant they automatically convert the digits?

Also... Flash 5 sucks, i cant stand it.. Switch to programming for Flash MX

And you might want to update your flash version. Lots of the times we found out that when you update the Flash plugin it doesnt actually update it on your hard disk. You will need to remove the dlls from your hard disk in winnt directory.

Another funky thing, your browser has a different version of FlashPlayer from the FlashPlayer that u use to test movies during development (You can never update this from macromedias site)
    footer removed, please make sure your footer fits the guidelines here

1. I'm on a PC.
    2. I know what version of the players I'm using, don't worry about that. I'm looking for known descrepancies in the interpretation of code.
    3. Don't get on my case about MX. I downloaded the trial, used it for long enough to know it well and prefer it greatly to Flash 5, but it had a random crash that occurred every 10 minutes or so, and I couldn't deal with that.

So. The QUESTION is if anybody knows of any simple differences between version five and six, like depreciated methods and such, that might be causing this problem. I'm looking for a response that directly answers this, not gripes about the newer version of the player--those don't help me fix the problem and finish the game. Thank you.