A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stuff made by a 14 year old kid!!!

2HT
    be happy for the little munchkin

Shameless Newstoday Plug
    Okay, in spite of my fear of completely regurgitating what someone else said (or points already raised), that to some extent, age does matter.

This is not to say young teens can't produce kickass websites. Technology has simply made production far more feasible. I mean, take a look at Typography. Designers relied on hand-eye methods until the 1980s with the advent of the Apple Mac and Adobe Postscript. From then on, ANYONE could produce their own typefaces on their computer. Look ten years later. Instead of having people in their 30s+ producing quality fonts, we now have late teens and early adults (20s). With that in mind, technology will make things prolly even simpler and before you know it, we'll have elementary typography taught in Gr. 6, because the tools will be there to learn.

When we apply this to Web Design, we see than young teens can absorb the knowledge of web progs very easily. BUT, the empirical knowledge we gain from experience thru life is what seperates a seasoned designer with a trend kittie. It takes years of experience to realize the difference between what looks good and what functions well, and how to incorporate the two elements in a unified product. It's this battle between function and sexiness that we designers are forced to fight every year of our careers. You simply can't learn that in a span of a few months. And you could apply this to almost EVERY profession. It's not the skills that seperates. It's the wisdom gain thru experience.

One of the main problems is it doesn't look like a design company's website. I would have thought it provided server space or internet access.

.JC.

okok i know that the site i gave u sucks me and my friend tell him that all the time but he won't listen....but u can't denie the fact that he knows flash and photoshop pretty good....io myself havent done a wevsite not beacuse i can't but because i know that i cant make a goodone....and don't u dare 2 tell me that i don't know what's good and what's not...
    don't drink water fish f00k in it

Interesting... I would love it if FireFuze saw this thread...

If your interested in my opinion, look at the posts on PAGE 2 of this thread. They are quite comprehensive.

Regards,
    Venio
    Last edited by Veniogenesis; 12-15-2002 at 06:38 PM.
    Flash Kit Moderator . Duke University
    Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology

Haha, i read some of the posts and some of the people here need to stop thinking that young designers can't design, or they lack quality of design as someone said...

Basically you guys don't want the truth, and are hiding from it. There are some really good young designers, that can design better sites than the people with 10+ years of experience.

I saw that 14 year old kids site (www.cyberteks.com) that he has claimed to make... But did he make it? Probobly...

So all you people that think young people can't design... maybe your right, some of us can't, or are learning, and some of us might be better than some of you. Just like that 14 year old kid... Though i looked at his site a second time, and you know what? It's actually not that good. I don't know why he is such a recognized designer... just seems like bs.

(btw im 15)

The site is average for a 14 year old (nothing! this company has done impresses me at all), but awful for any company or business that wants true design, marketing and branding on the web. GUI design is not diffcult if you copy other work. Think of all the cheesy template sites on the web. All this kid has to do is buy a couple of them (or even just steal them) and just add a couple different colors, graphics and font types and voila! a clueless kid turns into a genius.
    Dad is obviously wealthy and is the connection and PR for this kid. Imagine a 14 year old on a sales call asking if they mind if he eats his fruit roll up and lunchables while they talk strategy.
    So while a don't think that he is necessarily talented (even for his age) I do think he is involved in the process.
    The one thing I give him credit for is that instead of hanging out with kids playing lego's and wondering why he is growing hair in strange places he is learning a trade and being productive with his time.

I think he's doing this too quickly... he's 14, he should make the most of his teen years... i bet he doesn't have any non-business friends.

(holding back tears )

I don't have any friends because of these damn computers....

And hey, i'm sticking up for young designers (even if that site wasn't that great). I would call myself a moderate designer. I have a fair knowledge of flash and photoshop and have learnt all this myself, via tutorials and source files (mainly courtesy of fk) in just over two years.
    Last edited by ctranter; 12-15-2002 at 06:22 PM.

does cool mean long?

ok its not going to take the world by storm 14 or not but the business community would rather employ a 14 or 94 yo who can deliver a fast page with a little slick than something that takes all day too load
    sites that take all day to load are painful to anyone but us- not cool in the real world
    give the kid some credit
    ps there's a few jobs going there currently

Jeay or whatever your name is what is wrong with you?
    Everyone has talent and people discover it at certain ages, is this case early.

It's a nice site, clean and crisp, though it does have a big empty space at the bottom.

Just bcause he's young doesn't man he can do certain things as well as older people can. that is the worst mis-conception ever.
    Remember Mozart was a composer at 3 or something stupid.

Peace out
    -Olly
    - I made this!
    http://www.okkle.co.uk - creatures, art, animation and toys!
    Toilet Trumps

Could someone leave that poor kid alone!! Its about time......
    What's that? You haven't seen my site yet?? Here you go - Click Me!

stuff made by a 15 year old:

www.fospher.com

watch out, us youngsters are gonna take over the world!

8 days and im 16 homever...

I cant believe how damn long this thread has gone on pointless debate.

PC-system: PC/486, 66 MHz, 16 MB RAM, Floppy-interface

This thread is interesting to me.. I hope it doesn't get closed. I find it very interesting to view these sites that are being posted.
    Witek Radomski
    Programmer and Sound Engineer
    http://www.surreal-media.com/

I agree. Although this thread might be getting off subject and rambling, it's still has a great deal of good discussions within it. It think age is one of the greatest discussion subjects in the world of web-design.

Cheers!
    Venio
    Flash Kit Moderator . Duke University
    Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology

Originally posted by Ritchie-T
    I cant believe how damn long this thread has gone on pointless debate.
    Some young designers, will feel the need to post something about "them" and "their website" and "their age". Then, some older designers will reply to them and comment on it. Either siding with "age does not matter", or "people like these don't exist" arguments.

And since there are quite a number of teen forum users here, this debate went big. Oh well..

imagination through stupidity
    I would like to create a motion to close this thread!

Is there a second?
    Nothing to see here, move along.

How hard is this to belive. It's a very simple design and the style has been used many times in the past. I myself started in 1995 and at 13 was doing the same except I didnt have flash but when Future came around I used that alot. This is not the greatest design its average so is its portfolio ts not a ahh and ohh site its a click click as you go thru it looking for the content you want. No real eye candy on this one.

14 YEAR OLD MADE IT, so what.