dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Learning 3D - how long?

Corporate Nose-Picker

Learning 3D - how long?

Hi, I know this is a veeeeery relative question. But I'd like to know if any of you use 3D programs such as 3Dmax, among others. I have NO experience using 3D programs and a new position is opening in my dept. next year for an interior renderer. This would entail designing interiors for executive aircraft based on customer requests and engineering specs. I would use 3Dmax and Solid Works (never heard of that one before).

Is the learning curve steep? I'm a pretty fast learner when it comes to programs and my past experience is photoshop, illustrator and flash, asides from layout (dreamweaver, quark and powerpoint).

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by aeroflash; 12-02-2002 at 10:52 AM.
    Of course I'm the man for the job! What is the job, by the way?

3DS Max took me about two weeks to get into it. (Till I done my first good looking render)

But to really learn modelling and not just doing the easy things you need more. Maybe two months if you are a fast learner? To make really amazing pictures you need longer.

Fredi
    Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]

hey aeroflash

i found the learning curve for 3d studio max very steep, im probably not the quickest learner but i also spent forever looking for decent resources on the web for 3dmax, there are many tutorials on the web but i have found decent ones to be few and far between. I actually gave up for a while, then one day discovered the help guide in 3d studio max, the tutorials in that are exellent, they cover many topics and take you from start to finish and show you every step (one thing to many tuts do not do), the tutorials are very time consuming -you may spend a whole day modelling just a face and not understand a damn thing of what your doing, but it soon starts to make sense.
    so the tutorials in the help guide is differnitly the place to start.

Another place to find good tuts is http://www.vtc.com/, they provide crash courses on pretty much all programs available, its a video training centre, so you watch real time video clips, you can watch some demos for free but for $25, you have access to all the real time clips for one month, it is well worth it, you will learn so much quicker then trying to read a book, not to mention the time it takes to find a decent book!

good luck

scsa
    my way or the high way

Im a quick learner like yourself, and I've been doin 3d for the past two years, and I'm still learning many new Max features, every day. If you're just gonna do designs from blueprints and specs, I think 2-5 months ought to be enough time to study before you can start producing ok work. But I wouldn't bet on landing the job. There are many maxers out there who have amazing talent and can't land a job doing 3d.
    sex, drugs and actionscript...
    What more do you need?

www.thedose.dk

Corporate Nose-Picker
    Thanks for all your feedback. Regarding the last comment, this company isn't hiring anytime soon, that's why they always prefer to train someone in-house from scratch before going thru all the burocracies and expenses of hiring someone new...which incidentally is also why there are so many incompetent people here .

Anyways, the work will be more production-oriented, as opposed to creation, of drawings from existant blueprints and Cad files (I think that's how it works). All I want is to have SOME knowledge foundation before they open this position.

Thanks again, folks.

yeah, but modeling things from blueprints, where all measurements have to be acurate is even more difficult than creating something on your own from scratch.
    What more do you need?

www.thedose.dk

Swift 3d ---------<this steep
    3ds max-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------<this steep
    Maya 4.5------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<this steep
    Hello.

actually if you take into account all the plugins for Max and stuff you need to make it able to hold its weight against maya then Max is equally steep.
    What more do you need?

www.thedose.dk

^ see the post above....he about covers it...3d is unlike any 2D animating program..takes different knowledge then drawing a line adding a fill...it may take more time to learn 3d..but once you learn it, its so wonderful..its like being...well, all powerful

verdict: should you look into it?....yes!, 3d is always worth it
    Chaos= Religion+Humanity

TheForceIsStrongWithThisOne dvdvault's Avatar
    ill just add my 2c's.....

3D Concepts and basic understanding aside, Max is cool...very easy to pick up and a joyful interface. Maya is jam packed full of features, but not so easy OR intuative...but learning curve for me on basic modelling has been about 3 months...now i am starting to look at character rigging...ans this is a whole new kettle of SHARKS!!

Thats what i love soooo much about 3D software packages....you can really concentrate on one aspect and hone/finetune etc in any of the categories:

modelling
    animation
    effects
    texturing
    lighting
    rendering
    physics/dynamics
    characters rigs
    etc etc

and then there compositing and the whole rest of the post prod stuff to look forward too....its just sooo consuming and awesome!!!

good luck dude!!

while 3d is split into section as he said...this also opens up alot more jobs for companies...cause some people are just so much better at one thing then the other..so its a definite plus!
    Chaos= Religion+Humanity

Corporate Nose-Picker
    Thanks again for your feedback, while to some it might seem intimidating, to me, it's a challenge. Can't wait to get my hands on a copy of 3Dmax...

And it looks like there's pleeeeeeenty of training ahead.

learning is half the fun
    Chaos= Religion+Humanity

FK's resident Kungfu Master
    if im not mistaken Solid Works is a NURBS modeller and is great for industrial designs. u might want to use Solid Works for modelling objects that needs a lot of details and precision and export the finished model into 3DMAX for any tweaking and better texturing and rendering options for the final presentation.

learn both program... they're relatively easy to learn compare to some other programs like Maya (now that program would turn u into lex luther in no time )