A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: bubble bobble: open source!

bubble bobble: open source!

everyone, here's an open source of my bubble bobble 2 conversion in flash. i hope it'll help you in your platforms projects. the codes are fairly easy (i mean, not too complicated for newbies), and i tried to comment a minimum.

feel free to post if you find bugs or if you find it useful.

this version includes the basic playability of "bub" (directions, jumping actions, falling actions)...

the open source file: http://www.marmotte.levillage.org/fi...ble_pack01.zip
    > the file is 15k
    my current version: http://www.marmotte.levillage.org/ga...le_bobble.html

enjoy ^^
    Last edited by marmotte; 12-06-2002 at 07:42 AM.

incredibulus-actionscriptum magnetos's Avatar
    thats cool marmotte
    listen ,whatever happened to that spooky game you was going to make??
    the one with the realistic look i cant remember the name though

well, it's on hold. we are still thinking on how to do the game (remember it's a project with a friend of mine). we went in several directions; resident evil-like, click'n'play, zelda view, profile view...
    as for the graphical representation, we tried several ways: photorealistic, more cartoonish (jet set radio, but serious with photorealistic backgrounds)... the project is ambitious, and we did several tries. maybe flash is not the best format for it, since it's very cpu intensive (fog effects, night effects, i even thought about shadow effects)... well, it was not a speed superstar ^^

so what's up with that project today? well, i don't know. i'm more than busy without that project, so imagine if i begin it seriously now ^^. my new web site and all these open sources and help through emails are very time consuming, plus my job... erghhh...

the point is: the project is interesting. as for some of my other projects...

mmmhhh... i hope you are enjoying my open source ^^

Another amazing piece of work Marmotte - I love it!

RipX

WOW! THANKS MAN! That's just what I needed! I've been trying to find a good platform fla to wrk from!

That is a great game! and your so generous!
    - I made this!
    http://www.okkle.co.uk - creatures, art, animation and toys!
    Toilet Trumps

Hehe... Marmotte is being very generous recently... I think he is after Santa Clause's job!

^^

i hope you'll can do something interesting with it! and that's the point after all...
    and yes, i'm naturally generous... but i had half an hour left the other evening, so here's the file now...

simply, enjoy it.

first off i want to say what a well playable game you have done in flash with this bubble bobble 2 conversion. it runs very very smooth and ofcourse i've looked at your open source code which is very compact...

i am curious about your AI code (in your full version) for the enemy movements. like the robots in the first level, they act very natural and professional in my opinion...

is there a lot of code behind that or is it the simplicity of the coding like in your open source version? could you maybe post an example of your AI code or give me a direction on how to code it like that?

thanx and regards.

welcome to the forums Joe Lite ^^

thanks for your comments.

well, the AI code of the little robots is also very compact.
    did you noticd, in the original game they all walk in a precise way; they never get out of their "calculated road" (i hope you understand). in my version, they really act by themselves.
    maybe i'll post an enhanced version of my open source, but here's the idea:

they walk with a counter. each time the counter is at the end (the counter is random of course, that way they don't act at the same time), they choose either to jump, either to walk the other way...
    and that's all, really.
    one more thing: when they are at the end of a platform, they choose either to jump forward, either to fall normally. and when they jump, there's a little random that tell them either to jump without moving, either to jump forward.

...as you can see, they are in fact not very smart. but they are not totally dumb eihter ^^

i hope it helps...