A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: how do you Export to 3dmax?

how do you Export to 3dmax?

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but i was reading the plasma tutorial (user refrence) and it said you could export your plasma file over to 3dsmax. I could import 3dsmax files but not export to that format (its not in the drop-down box). thanks. any help is appreciated.

export as *.dxf.

3ds max can open those.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

thanks. but it doesnt seem to export the texture i used in plasma. am i supposed to install max before or after i install plasma? is that why i cant select *.3ds when Exporting?

I just got an e-mail from Discreet... it's an error in the help files and the tutorials.

I'm in an e-mail game of tag at the moment with discreet's support.

just got off the phone with discreet. it's not possible, and the documentation is incorrect.

It's now a feature request...

fingers crossed... maybe if we get ENOUGH people asking for *.3ds export, we'll get it? Doesn't gMax have it?

thanks for your help! exporting as *.3ds would be a nice feature for the next version. what's gmax? i kinda heard about it. u use it to make games or something?

i think plasma is more useful then gmax..even though gmax is free
    Chaos= Religion+Humanity

not if it doesn't do what even the documentation says it can do... not useful at all.

sounds like discreet have made a BIG mistake if you cannot export Plasma to 3ds, what were they thinking?

well fist off if you owned both..why would someone model in plasma then try and put it into max, max is obviously the better tool so it should be used first then only when you want to render should you be ready to put it into plasma
    Chaos= Religion+Humanity

if you owned 3dsmax, why would you model in Plasma, so as to then export it to 3dsmax? Sounds backwards.
    timothyJohnson

yea, besides, just install the plasma plugin to 3ds max so you model in 3ds max and render in vector right out of 3ds max...easy
    Chaos= Religion+Humanity

Holographic Fool

First off - 3dsMAX is pretty much the SAME modelling tool as Plasm. Secondly I have Plasma at WORK and 3dsMAX at HOME. Have you forgotten that 3dsMAX costs two grand? Although i suppose a holographic god such as yourself has a cracked version in his little bedroom!

Discreet are fools if they do not make all their products interelated. These are not easy times for computer companies and I fear that if Discreet overlook such things they will die a death like so many others.

If we all just install the plasma plugin for 3dsMAX then what the hell is the point in having a separtate program called Plasma? Why not just have a plasma plugin????

I'm just disapointed in Discreet. Back in the days of Kinetix 3ds used to be a really big player. They just seem to have lost momentum these days and aren't being nearly proactive enough!!

actually if you spent 2 grand for 3ds max 5 i would like to know where you got it..i spent $3200..WOW...i actually did buy it..and i also bought character studio ...oh no!!!

don't get so pissy, it just makes more sence to do things in 3ds max if you have it, instead of modeling things in plasma, why else would they give the person an option to install the plasma plugin for 3ds max..where 3ds max users can just simply render out of max
    Chaos= Religion+Humanity

Originally posted by timotheos
    if you owned 3dsmax, why would you model in Plasma, so as to then export it to 3dsmax? Sounds backwards.
    when I travel (like now) I run only Plasma... even though I have the machine to run it - my laptop can easily run it - I would rather work on a bigger screen. Plasma, I use for lower poly stuff.

So, when I come off travel, dang right I would like to export out to *.3ds... but no biggie though.

Maybe in the future, things will change?

Anyway, I support Vatcher. If you have both, then why not model in the other, and then render out the *.swf via the Plasma plugin?

That makes sense to me as well.

buy both? Only if your pockets support it.

yeah it sounds weird but i was following a 3dmax tutorial with plasma and at the end it said to use a Texport plugin. i was just comparing the 2 programs.