A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: scrolling image

scrolling image

I have posted this here and a few other places but can't get a response. Can some one PLEASE respond and at least tell me if I am missing something so obvious that it doesn't warrant an answer.

I am trying to make a simple scrolling panorama movie. It works when I use a
    100pix high image but when I use a larger image I get weird streaks in the
    image. Here's what it looks like: www.turnaroundtours.com/test/test.swf

I also tried putting the scrolling image in a movie clip which worked better
    but there is still a few frames that streak:
    http://www.turnaroundtours.com/test/testmovie.swf

The fla's are in the same directory if anyone wants to look at them
    http://www.turnaroundtours.com/test/testmovie.fla
    http://www.turnaroundtours.com/test/test.fla

Can someone please tell me how to make this work or why it causes problems
    when I use a 300pix high image but a 100 pix image will work fine??

Thanks,

George

There have been a few other threads that give some clues to the problem. There is some kind of limitation on the width of a single object in Flash. It's somewhere in the neighborhood of 2200 pixels. At 320 high, your pano shot is 5270 pixels wide. At 100 pixels high, it's only 1635 or so.

I was duplicating the entire jpg used and putting them side by side to create the scrolling symbol which was over 5000 pix wide. Instead I duplicated a smaller part of the original jpg equal to the width of the viewing window and joined that to the side of jpg to create a scrolling image 3018 x 300 pix. It works when placed in movie clip so I guess the limit is still above 3000 pix wide.

Thanks!!!

From my playing around I've come up to about 4,400 wide. Over that I get a blank spot. I try to keep them at 4,200 max and it works for me.

I downloaded an fla the other day that uses a scrolling image panel exactly 5000 pixels wide. It works very well, when testing the movie in MX. I haven't put it on a server yet to test it. I know that flash uses a different brand of player to test movies in the authoring environment, and when it's online, it may not work through flashplayer 6.0. Have you tested yours from a server? Just curious....

Just looked again, and it does play the swf from my computer, but when the fla is open, and you click to open the long strip from the library, it crashes MX. It will open to edit in place though.
    Last edited by iaskwhy; 12-06-2002 at 10:35 AM.