A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Swish..very awsome

Swish..very awsome

Ya I recently learned swish in a very short amount of time.My first day I made a intro wich lasted 1:25 sec i think and I for a first time user think it was pretty TIGHT!!I did it on the trial version,and i am going to buy the full version of it soon.If you want to check out my first intro from swish go here www.super-naturals.com

ISince my Hard drive crashed on me it will be a while before i get back onto the comp,maybe a week or so.I have my second intro for my team wich is 3min long..and only 7mb..wich my first intro was 11mb.This time my noob self used jpegs for my pictures instead of bmp and png files hehe.But if you are on cable/dsl you will not have a problem watching it.If you do veiw it,I would like to have any feed back if possible on our team site in the suggestion area if we have one..wich i think we do.

I am thinking about making our whole site with swish when i get back into action.This program is very user friendly,and is awsome!Easier thn flash..anyone can do this. If you have that drive to do it with.

My second intro blows my first away hehe.
    The weight in a mans mind can be heavier than the one on his back.

Civilian
    Ok, who payed G/-/(0)ST and how much??

Moved from feedback.

I started by clicking on the link, found a graphic missing and then was talken to a screen and watched as (painfully slowly) the file started to load.... Then after a while, I punched out and read the entire post. I am on a cable connect and I can tell you that even on a cable connect, you need to make smaller files.
    Yes, SWISH IS Awsome! No doubt about it.

Just my $ .02
    ..--==Brian==--..
    There is no "Try". You either DO or you do NOT, DO.

hmmmmm i never heard of that problem with my intro with anyone else..maybe it was just having a bad day hehe.My 3 min one will be up soon..and its kicking a 7mb range.I have some linkin park music i this one so thats a good 3-mb right there.I did not expect it to go through a whole song like that..guess I got to carried away.

in reality I've never heard of even the BEST intros being more then 3mb.

I myself am on a 56k line at home and I would not spend the time to wait for something without a preloader or just something that big.

G/-/(0)ST, consider smileyface's ad-vice. Unless you're playing these MB-sized .swf's off your own HD, they very badly need preloaders.

When I tried viewing your site intro over a fast university LAN connection, the opening words "The Time Has Come" sat there on my screen for at least half a minute before any action took place. Not many ppl are going to wait that long, even if you're prayStation status ...

Maybe you're a noob at Flash, but don't be afraid to take some crit.

i dont mind crit guys...and i wasnt even caring about it.And look dont be to lazy to wait half a min. uhhh how lazy can america get to wait a half a min?30 sec woopty doo.Of course 56k will have a prob man but 30 sec aint a big deal.When you add effects,pictures,music..you are going to have a nice size file.Plus that was my first one i did and it had a couple.png files in it.I knew after i was done it was going to be huge,but that was the noobish thing there.But on my next one I took that to note and did jpegs.Its a 3min intro,with alot of letter effects ..well i think everything has an effect to it hehe..but when you make a team intro thats what you have to have.

My second one blows my first one away..yes at a 7mb for a 3min intro compaired to my first one 1:25 sec. 11mb intro.3-4 mb is for the song,so actually my second intro is around 4mb without music.

But thanks for veiwing my intro though.

my friend,

if i may in my limited experience submit the following: in my earlier webdesigns i made the all to common mistake of making an interface that looking amazing and smooth on my P4 2GHZ 1024RAM w/cable. i soon realized after viewing on friends and families computers (average cpu's and users) that the site ran choppy and took FOREVER to DL. i suppose the best thing to do is check out the sites of big companies, band you like, etc. and compare your file sizes to the size of theirs. if you are targeting a small group of experienced users(with tons of patience), they may not mind the wait. the reality is that i am currently of 56k and intrested as i was, would not wait 10 minutes for an intro to download.

there are several ways to lower the file size - drop the quality of your jpegs(a funtion within swish), if possible, use a mono source for your audio and try to lower the sampling to 22.1khz, and of course, use the killer effects in swish sparingly but effectivley-sometimes less is more?!?

all the best...

Originally posted by G/-/(0)ST
    ...And look dont be to lazy to wait half a min. uhhh how lazy can america get to wait a half a min?30 sec woopty doo.Of course 56k will have a prob man but 30 sec aint a big deal....
    Sorry, G/-/(0)ST -- I didn't explain the point simply enough, and it's pretty clear that you didn't understand me, so please allow me to try again.

The waiting time I referred to was how long before there were visible signs either that your file was:

1. in the PROCESS of downloading,

OR that it was

2. beginning to play some content.

However, without having any preloaders, both of those cases are going to take the same amount of time for your file(s).

If you're posting files for the general public to look at (which generally includes these forums), just about anything taking more than a few seconds to finish downloading or to start playing deserves some kind of doo-dad to show whether it's working or not.

For Flash movies, it's usually called a 'preloader.' There's not really a set rule about it (unless you're a usability expert, lol), mainly because it's just common sense. And if you look around the Web, I think you'll find that just about everyone with experience does this.

WITH a preloader, you can shorten the amount of time for BOTH of the cases mentioned above (both the downloading and the start of play). Yes, you read that right -- WITH a preloader, you could easily be showing your viewers some action in a matter of seconds, even with those multi-MB file sizes.

As a noob at this, in your first preloaders you'll probably just be showing some spinning 'Loading' symbol at first. But with experience, you can go beyond that to start intelligently segmenting your movies, so that some of the heavy stuff loads in the background while some of your actual content plays up front.

If you're just fooling around, or if you're only going to show your stuff to close buddies and friends, then you can get away without a preloader, but even they will usually appreciate your having one, for sure.