A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Dynamic Image Gallery

Dynamic Image Gallery

Hello. I'm trying to make an image gallery or scroller that is dynamic and easy to update. This is what I mean: I need to find a way to allow flash to access a group of pictures on an online folder and convert them to a flash slideshow or image scroller. Otherwise, I will have to put the images in myself whcih takes way to long. I just got dreamweaver and I'm inspired by how well it automates web site updates. I'm trying to do the same thing with flash. You can reply, e-mail, or instant message me. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by AndrewMT; 12-08-2002 at 05:33 AM.

Hi,

You can use loadMovie to load in jpegs, gifs either aen't supported or dont work (?). What you do is target a movie clip and it's there (once dl'ed).

ex:
    Code:
    loadMovie("image45.jpeg", "ourMovieClip");
    Elfyn McBratney
    [ hr="this is my own kind of hr, something that strings you along ]
    web: http://www.emcbnet.co.uk
    mail: elfyn@exposure.org.uk,elfyn@emcbnet.co.uk

That would work for one picture. I'm not sure if I would know how to integrate that into a image scroller or gallery.

I wouldn't want to load each individual jpeg into a movie. That would not help me as far as automation goes. I would want code which would load all pictures (they are all jpeg) from a particular online folder, and then put them into a slideshow. In fact, if anyone just knows how to load a folder of pictures into a movie, that would be enough for me to go on.

well,

Seem to me you could add a movie for each place in your slide show. Then in those movie place holders you could call the jpg's in from the folder on the server.

Like....

movie 1 = 1st pic in main movie

using

code

loadmovie ("folder/pic01.jpg","pic01clip")
    loadmovie ("folder/pic02.jpg","pic02clip")
    loadmovie ("folder/pic03.jpg","pic03clip")

Then just update the pics in folder...

might be easier way but should work for you!

Steve Lilly
    mmeye.com
    ó¿ó

I have used this component on my website that I think actually looks good. It uses an external xml file. You have to input the file names into the xml file and just make sure the pictures are in your online folder. Load this mxp file with your Extension manager and your good to go.

GalleryComponent

I'll take a look at both of your suggestions. Thanks for your help!

This is some code from CyanBlue, modified for jpg. In the first frame of the movie, on the actions layer:

_level0.theNum = 0;

You need a target clip to load into, for control. Make a new symbol, movie clip. Just an outline, no fill. Make it the size you want to hold the images. Set the line color to the same as the background if you want. Give it an instance name of 'Holder', once it's onstage. While editing the symbol, drag the top left corner to the center point, then go back and position it onstage.

Right and left buttons:

On the right [or next] button:

on (release)
    {
    if (_level0.theNum < 10)
    {
    _level0.theNum++;
    this.Holder.loadMovie("a" + _level0.theNum + ".jpg");
    }
    }

On the left [or back] button:

on (release)
    {
    if (_level0.theNum > 1)
    {
    _level0.theNum--;
    this.Holder.loadMovie("a" + _level0.theNum + ".jpg");
    }
    }

This is for a list of 10 pics. I'm sure you see where to change that if it's more or less....

Now, all you do is name your jpg's a1.jpg, a2.jpg, a3.jpg, etc. Load them to the server along with the main movie. When you want to put up a new batch, name them the same, and upload them, overwriting the ones already there. Of course, if they are large file images, they are going to take time to load, meaning a blank spot till each loads.
    Last edited by iaskwhy; 12-09-2002 at 12:05 AM.

I think that may do the trick. I'm pretty sure I could code a preloader since I only have to do it once in the actions for the next button.

With regards to that gallery component, I was very impressed with the ease-of-use and design of it. Unfortunately, I'm not confident I could personalize (colors, outline design, scroll bar) the gallery because components are ofter very complicated beyond the parameters. However, it does seem to me that I could automate the xml file using dreamweaver. I'm going to spend some time on the gallery to see if I can personalize it, as I know that many users looking through large amounts of photos appreciate thumbnails and preloaders.

I'm making this site for my mom who is an interior designer and just wants a place for possible clients to view some of her previous work. I made a temporary web site at www.allforwalls.net that illustrates the gallery I am using now. With this gallery, I have to add the thumbnails(rounding off the edges) and create swfs for each image I want to add. Then, I have to go through actionscript and update each of the new thumbnails. It takes way to long to update.

slideshow component:

http://can_info_guide.tripod.com/sho.../tutorial.html

very easy to set up with textfield option and you can just replace or update pictures in an image folder for example w/o touching the file. It's not the mama but it's handy and don't need actionscript or very minimal.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

That's another component which looks even harder to customize. Ugh

I'm probably asking for to much without the use of a component. I'm starting to think that a slideshow is a bad idea. As I add more pictures, users aren't going to stand for a slideshow, expecially if they are running 56k.

It is not. It asks you a couple of questions. Do you have thumbnails? If you have separate thumbs answer yes and then give a location like thumbfolder/nail_ and you have a thumbfolder with little tiny jpgs from nail_1 to nail_10 for example (name does not matter). If you don't have thumbs answer no. Then your picture itself will be scaled to thumb (15% of original) or if you want you have the option to have a width and height of the thumbs of 50px (default). You can have thumbs on the left side vertical or bottom horizontal. You can choose single lane if you have only 5 pics or double lane if you like the 5 ones in a double row. If you play with it for 5 min (there is even a testfile and images which I added) you will know how it works.

Sorry for the long story but I also spent some time to set it up and I can't make it easier and of course like to defend my work. I probably will make some more changes in the near future to make it even more convenient.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Here is an example of the gallery component I posted for you. Real easy to use. Click here.