A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the Meaning Behind YOUR Name

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's

What's the Meaning Behind YOUR Name

What made you choose the name of your multimedia company, or what is the origin of the one you're working at? What does it mean, or stand for?

Eyenovation:

Pretty self explanatory - but I wanted a name that implied something innovative and cutting edge. Obviously because I work mostly in the visual mediums - combining the two made sense. It was actually not my first pick - but when I saw an open domain (meaning, it had not been registered yet), I snagged it. The rest is history.

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar
    I operate under the name Mat Bastian.

Reason?

It's a wonderful name.

It's my name.

Less paperwork that way.

Every other name I picked was too long, too cliche', too pretentious.

Wanted to try to be totally honest with my potential clients and not be tempted to represent myself as something larger than I am.

Allows me to have a domain name that I never get sick of. It's useful for anything I want to do.

Oakland Design

Locally people associate Oakland as being County wide ergo local.
    Also implies organic earthy identity.

Now all I need to do is actually design it.
    but it also brands nicely against
    Rockin Detroit
    Implying the entertainment industry. (clubs entertainers)

I wonder if those "cliche'-pretention" names are of benefit to some of those companies. e.g : cutting edge technologies inc, or gravitic design, etc..

i have no actual company yet, but my utslive.com domain, comes from underthesun, so i guess i just have to make the domain have a "memorable" sound to it. When you say utslive.com, don't people remember?

its my name, the second best name out there.

razormedia

I can't remember why I chose it but I've always used it.

It says to me 'cutting edge' but its more of a username than anything which I've gotten used to.

Lets Get Interactive inc.
    I liked the ring it had to it.. sounded catchy

my last name's avore, and people always mispronounce it all the time, so i wanted something a little easier to read (plus avore.com is some cosmetic site), so i spelled avore backwards and came up with erova.

inkogroup

it sounded oriental-germanish

'happylander' coz it sounded nice at the time

I tend to operate under two aliases - MrChuckles has been my web identity from day 1, and to this day I have absolutely no idea why I chose it (but I like it...)

The second is the name of my design company - I only do small pieces of work for friends (usually for free or my standard fee - a crate of beer) in my spare time, but Ghetto Blues just seems to have that "certain something", and I will eventually make something of it It also reflects my design style - I tend to favour slightly distressed, urban looks, designs that give you those ghetto blues
    Blog
    What's your $@~**** problem?

Co. Name www.streamworks.ca

We started out with the name look-ear.com, we had this experimental site that toyed with broadcasting on the web. I developed an entertainment webcast called Canada Grade A; partly to help promote the domain.

But it seemed to be too much work and too little profit. So my biz partner and I at the time came up with the name www.streamworks.ca to focus on creating broadcast/webcast content. The name streamworks refers of course to streaming media.

I also own a domain with a name I like called www.sidestream.ca but I am still undecided about what to do with it.

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    hbf solutions

started a internet cafe and it was called Hackers Berry Finn (my surname is Berry, the street was Finnisterre, adn hackers was a good catchy name for my tagetted client group)

to save on a whole load of paper work (and additional expense, in spain it costs over 3000 euros to just start a company) i now have a trade name

hbf solutions,

why solutions, well it plays on the english thing in spain, and it is a powerful word at the time to sell

Flash Studio
    I figured that like an art studio, my site is a website studio.

Not that I work for my own company, but if I did, I would probably just use my own name: Sundev My parents were kind of hippies. Sun is from the sun, obviously and dev is short for deva or devus which my parents found to mean guardian angel for a plant, but also has a more generalized definition as god or goddess

Mediapup Productions. Named after my dogs who lie at my feet as I work.

Last edited by mediapup; 12-30-2002 at 07:12 PM.

ScreenResolution

ScreenResolution

A little irony

Screen Resolution - how we work on-screen as opposed to print - 72dpi...

and

The Resolution of an on-Screen problem

mullet king

gravicdesign

My name is GRAham, my partners name is VICtoria so, GRAVIC. It also sounds like GraphicDesign

Was pretty chuffed that I was able to get the .com .co.uk and all IM aliases with that name

Shameless Newstoday Plug
    Originally posted by vampstko
    Lets Get Interactive inc.
    I liked the ring it had to it.. sounded catchy
    I agree, it's a pretty interesting company name. I was going to say it had a nice ring to it, but since you already said it...

<<< Hopefully less of an a**.

my company name is "Juxta Presentations" orgionally because i did work for a A/V company with their setups for PPT and other proection stuff. Then with other applications and using flash for presentations. But now the name is useless and doesn't represent me in any way. The name origionally came from my name being James Pocock, so i took the J and the P and made is something.

However when my url www.juxtapresentations.com expires i'm just gonna be www.jamespocock.com that way no matter what i do the name still represents who i am.