A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Dead in the water

Dead in the water

Ok, I'm exuasted. I have been trying to put this preloader in, but it never seems to show up. I have tried several different loaders and they all seem to do the same thing, dissapear! I enter the component or code in the first frame all by itself just like the tutorials say and nothing. It skips right past it. This time I have uploaded the .fla so if anybody had a spare minute to see what is wrong that would be great. I don't know what I am doing wrong. The clip itself is rather large for most webpages but we use it at work and we are on a T3 line.

If you look at the swf file and notice after you select [ENTER] it skips right past the standard loader and goes right to the clip.

>>index_flash.fla
    >>index_flash.swf

HELP>>>ACTIONSCRIPT DICTIONARY
    If it is the "loader" scene you are having trouble with, try taking out the last line which says play(); you use the stop() at the top but the play() action will execute before the preload code has a chance to operate. That is the first thing that I noticed so I stopped looking.

Let me know if that solves your problem.

Good Luck!
    Antibody
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
    Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure." - N. Mandela

stop() was originally in there but it never continued and didn't show the loader, so i changed it to show play()

Okay, upon further investigation I have found some problems. And here they are:

1) Go to your "loader" scene, erase frame 2 (because you don't need it) and label Frame 1 "preload"

2) In your "intro" scene.. change the code on the ENTER button to this:

on(release){
    _root.gotoAndStop("preload");
    }

(As long as you uniquely identify each frame label in a movie, even over scenes, you don't have to identify the scene to send the playhead too, in fact I recommend never using it that way(my opinion at any rate) . _root.gotoAndPlay("frameLabel"); will work just fine.)

3) Go to the "main" scene and give frame 1 the label "main"

I did that and POW! I got the preloader and the whole thing built (which was perty cool btw ).

Good Luck!

PS Ditch the play() statement at the bottom in the "loader" scene
    Antibody

Thank you oh life saver!!!

Dang, wtf, I did that and it still didn't do it. I reuped it so you can see it. Same link above,

The link above does not have any of the changes that I recommended in it. In fact it appears to be the same file. Sooo, I took the liberty..

index_flash.fla

Good Luck!
    Antibody

OK, I give up! I still don't see he loader. Maybe I'm blind. http://www.southernbowhunters.com/mi...ndex_flash.swf

I clicked on that link and saw it just fine.

Not sure if the way this is setup is accurate though because the "loader" scene doesn't have any graphic content in it, it just contains the preloader code (which works because the movie would not advance if it wasn't the way your movie is currently setup). It is only when the preloader code (in the "loader" scene) is done that the playhead advances to the "main" frame (in scene "main") and show a loader animation.

Dunno what else to tell you.
    Antibody

I thought the code read to have text show percentage when loading?

Young Flash Master
    You might be viewing the old .swf from your Temporary Internet Files, clear/empty your Temporary Internet Files and then try again.

Just an idea....
    Young Flash Master

There is no graphical content inside of the "loader" Scene, where all your preloading is done. There is only the preloader code itself.

The code that is in the "loader" scene is looking for the following items, which do not exist there currently:

1) A movieClip called "loaderText" that contains a dynamic textfield called "percent_display"

and

2) A movieClip called "loaderBar", which would be basically a rectangle that has its registration mark in the upper left corner, and is set and it's width and height would be how you wanted the bar to look at 100% width

It looks as if the code that you got does not appear to have the movieclips that it needs to function properly. Perhaps if you get those items and place them in the "loader" scene, the preloader code will function properly.

PS I thought you weren't seeing the ball with "LOADING" attached to it. If you mean you have a blank white screen during the preload the above comments relate to that specifically.

Good luck man.
    Antibody

Thanks, I got it. When I copied the original code over it didn't take the clip itself. So I went back and copied the clip over, removed the code and whala! I havn't reupped it yet tho. BTW the the loading ball in scene 3, is it possible to make that into a component? Thanks for all your help Antibody!

You're welcome buddy, glad to help.

Not sure what you mean about making that ball into a component. As it stands it is just a motion tween animation. You could make it into a movieclip I 'spose. I don't understand entirely what you mean though.
    Antibody